ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #38716
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
i got up this morning and hit the road at 6am to enjoy some cool country air and explore some southern ohio backroads. Had a really relaxing, peaceful ride all the way to the river by gravel and little county highways...got very close to that "zen" thing i hear the pompous motorcycle writers blather on about, just sort of going down roads without any care of direction or destination really just relaxing in my helmet.

Stopped for some good chow at a little country kitchen for lunch, then meandered home for a few hours.

Now, here's where my story is slightly interesting. Just north of the dillon dam wildlife area, on a hilly road whose name doesn't matter, i spied a car coming over the hills out in front of me...could see narrow lights, and something flapping around over the outline of the car. When it got closer i could see it was a convertible, more specifically a fiberglass dune-buggy circa the 70's.

It had flame paint job, in mint shape, but what made this dune buggy epic was the guy driving it in a darth vader costume; helmet, chest piece, and a flowing black cape flapping around in the breeze.

Now, if you pass something like this on your way to the doodah parade or in downtown san francisco, that's not an event that blows your noodle, but in the middle of bumfuck country road, ohio, for no good reason, darth vader piloting speed buggy makes you question your sanity.

this might be the event that makes me break down and buy a helmet-mounted cam capable of quick snapshots.

just say 'no' to drugs !!!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #38717
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
just say 'no' to drugs !!!

why?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #38718
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Now, here's where my story is slightly interesting. Just north of the Dillon Dam wildlife area, on a hilly road whose name doesn't matter, I spied a car coming over the hills out in front of me...could see narrow lights, and something flapping around over the outline of the car. When it got closer I could see it was a convertible, more specifically a fiberglass dune-buggy circa the 70's.
It had flame paint job, in mint shape, but what made this dune buggy epic was the guy driving it in a Darth Vader costume; helmet, chest piece, and a flowing black cape flapping around in the breeze.
Darth Vader piloting Speed Buggy makes you question your sanity.
This might be the event that makes me break down and buy a helmet-mounted cam capable of quick snapshots.

">
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #38719
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
why?
Cause "Drugs are bad.............MMMMMMMKay?"
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #38720
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
Cause "Drugs are bad.............MMMMMMMKay?"
Well thank goodness beer isn't a drug, because I drank me some.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #38721
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,465
Quote:
Well thank goodness beer isn't a drug, because I drank me some.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
supposedly said by Benjamin Franklin some 200 years ago.

a little quick googling reveals that:

"For the record, here, in a letter addressed to Andrι Morellet in 1779, is what Benjamin Franklin actually did say:
Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008...in-on-beer.htm

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301

sion screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 05:49 AM
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #38722
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,665
You guys are hard core. I usually don't start my drinking before 11AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #38723
CBBaron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
You guys are hard core. I usually don't start my drinking before 11AM.
I am not so limited, however I will not ride after drinking so its not often I will drink before dusk

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #38724
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
I never understood the whole beer/coffee thing. Could never get past the taste of either. My wife HAS to have coffee every morning or things aren't so rosey until her bean pallette has been satisfied. People keep telling me "Drink enough and you'll aquire a taste for it" but how much do you have to drink before it becomes pleasurable or you're too drunk or sick to care?

I do like the occasional mixed drink though. The one thing I do like about the Adv crowd, they don't have to bar hop to ride.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #38725
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
The one thing I do like about the Adv crowd, they don't have to bar hop to ride.
Yup, I'm very considerate of my fellow riders, I get loaded BEFORE I ride.

I'm with ya on coffee...never a drink I favored. I can drink it I guess, but there's 200 other things that taste better to me and it's a drink with all kinds of downsides...hmmm, tastes bitter, makes you crap and your breath smell bad, oh and it's hell on your teeth. You gotta really love it, I guess.

Beer, on the other hand I like, but I'm a pretty light drinker honestly...a few on the weekends now and then, and I'm good. I can go a month and not touch it.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #38726
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,930
Untill I was about 30 I was an every weekend drinker. Never could do the have a beer every night but when I did drink I was far from a light weight. Then one day I just sort of stopped, the bar sceen was boring and watching people become blathering idiots got old too. So I quit drinking other than maybe once or twice a year. When I do drink, all vehicles are parked and I'm where I will be for the next 12 hours at least.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #38727
CBBaron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Yup, I'm very considerate of my fellow riders, I get loaded BEFORE I ride.

I'm with ya on coffee...never a drink I favored. I can drink it I guess, but there's 200 other things that taste better to me and it's a drink with all kinds of downsides...hmmm, tastes bitter, makes you crap and your breath smell bad, oh and it's hell on your teeth. You gotta really love it, I guess.

Beer, on the other hand I like, but I'm a pretty light drinker honestly...a few on the weekends now and then, and I'm good. I can go a month and not touch it.
Unfortunately I have a vice for both, but I can't stand the cheap versions of either. I enjoy good micro brews and coffee made from good fresh ground beans. Thats why I usually make my own.
Unfortunately with coffee if you enjoy a cup every morning, you have to have a cup every morning If not you get a headache sometime later in the day.
I'm not one that has to have coffee to get going in the morning but due to the addiction I do have to have something caffeinated by lunch time. Though a couple times a year I wean myself off coffee for a week just to prove I can

For beer i'm usually a 1 or 2 beers in the evening. Don't really care for getting drunk but really enjoy the flavors and aromas of good stouts and IPAs.

I guess I have a thing for strong bitter flavors. The other vise I have is ultra dark chocolate, like Lindt 85% cocoa

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #38728
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Large Bike trail ride in PA

I am going to organize a trail ride in Pennsylvania this fall for the large bikes that can travel the interstate, shed a little weight at a campground, and hit the trails for a day. It will require traveling on a Friday, camping Friday night, ride all day Saturday, camping Saturday night, and returning Sunday. Start the video at 1:17 to see the type of trails we will be riding. They are all easily doable on the Largest of dual sport bikes. If you are interested keep an eye out for a post late Sept. / early Oct.

-Shawn
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #38729
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
That looks like a blast, I'm down if schedule permits.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #38730
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
I am going to organize a trail ride in Pennsylvania this fall for the large bikes that can travel the interstate, shed a little weight at a campground, and hit the trails for a day. It will require traveling on a Friday, camping Friday night, ride all day Saturday, camping Saturday night, and returning Sunday. Start the video at 1:17 to see the type of trails we will be riding. They are all easily doable on the Largest of dual sport bikes. If you are interested keep an eye out for a post late Sept. / early Oct.
-Shawn
In! Thanks for the invite Shawn. Where abouts in PA is this? Most of my riding buddies are in PA, since I live on the border in Ohio.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote