ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #39346
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO! View Post
I'm possibly getting a DRZ400E that's currently titled and street legal in Michigan. I know this kind of question has been asked and answered on here before. Anyone know if there would be any issues with getting it licensed in Ohio?

Get in touch with nconoan if he doesn't see your post. He recently did it and will tell you how easy it was.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #39347
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Alright, I could probably throw this in Beasts, but I figured there's plenty of knowledge here.

So, as many of you know I have a 2000 Tiger with ~8k miles on it. It's stock except for tires, and it has the "off-road" ECU map.

The other day I was out riding and noticed that when coming to a stop it would die when I pulled in the clutch. It was only when stopping, never when just changing gears.

After a little searching I'm thinking maybe an IAC issue, but I'm not certain. I don't have any other problems, and it doesn't happen every time. When it does happen it just completely dies, no stumbling or anything. It just quits and some of the dash lights come on, but not the engine light, and it starts right back up after it dies. Otherwise I have no problems, no surging or rough idle or anything.

I also had read in the past about issues with the sidestand switch. On the way home I put the side stand down enough to trigger it, and it dies in the same manner, with the same dash lights. It seems that when the sidestand switch is bad, or not properly adjusted on these bikes then there are problems with being able to start the bike. I have no problems starting the bike.

So any other ideas of things to check?
Mr. 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #39348
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
We are looking to move to the area soon; probably rural around Newcomerstown / W Lafayette / Port Washington. A lot hinges on where and when Meredith finds a job... obviously if an Akron Hospital picks her up we might be well north of that, even.

I just dropped the house price $11,000 trying to get it sold; I'm giving it two months and then it goes up for rent and we will rent a small house in the target area.
Nice areas. You'll find east of 77 to be more trailer parkish, west to be more Amish. I'd be able to pedal to your house in any of those 3 towns and only climb one hill. Port Washington Road leaves town and goes pretty much straight to Millersburg and is 50% gravel, also the 1st state road in Ohio.

Rt 36 is so flat, I'm not sure how water flows off of it except the crown.

Lots of good riding in and around that area. Uhrichsville is between Crow, Beans and Lightning raceway so you'll always have a place to watch a race or play ride.

Navarre & Bolivar would be about 1/2 way between Akron and Uhrichsville, Both nice small towns, any farther north and your getting too close to the NTZ.

Go too far east and you start getting into the Swingset Ohio geography dispute area, aka, little Appalachia.

Have Meredith check with Infinity Hospital in Massillon also. They have plenty of my records there but I doubt that kind of name dropping would help!

Our neighbor just took a $10k loss on his house just to get into the next township for the school. His kid won't even start school for another year or two, just impatient.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #39349
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0 View Post
Alright, I could probably throw this in Beasts, but I figured there's plenty of knowledge here.

So, as many of you know I have a 2000 Tiger with ~8k miles on it. It's stock except for tires, and it has the "off-road" ECU map.

The other day I was out riding and noticed that when coming to a stop it would die when I pulled in the clutch. It was only when stopping, never when just changing gears.

After a little searching I'm thinking maybe an IAC issue, but I'm not certain. I don't have any other problems, and it doesn't happen every time. When it does happen it just completely dies, no stumbling or anything. It just quits and some of the dash lights come on, but not the engine light, and it starts right back up after it dies. Otherwise I have no problems, no surging or rough idle or anything.

I also had read in the past about issues with the sidestand switch. On the way home I put the side stand down enough to trigger it, and it dies in the same manner, with the same dash lights. It seems that when the sidestand switch is bad, or not properly adjusted on these bikes then there are problems with being able to start the bike. I have no problems starting the bike.

So any other ideas of things to check?
Have you tried bypassing the clutch safety switch just to eliminate it as a possibility? It doesn't sound like that's the culprit but it's the obvious first link in a clutch/in stalling issue.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #39350
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0 View Post

Try turning the idle up even just 100 rpm. My 950 would do the same thing and after some searching found it to be a common issue if the idle wasn't set to factory specs. I thought the spec seemed a bit high but I turned the screw just enough to bump the idle and no more stalling.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #39351
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Try turning the idle up even just 100 rpm. My 950 would do the same thing and after some searching found it to be a common issue if the idle wasn't set to factory specs. I thought the spec seemed a bit high but I turned the screw just enough to bump the idle and no more stalling.
That's a good thought too, the Strom will stall if you have the idle too low, even by a little.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #39352
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Thumb

MeefZah,

Newcomerstown, Port Washington, etc, you are getting into my 'hood.... CR10 out of Gnadenhutten is awesome, as is SR 258 from Newcomerstown to Stillwater....

SR416 between Gnadenhutten and Tuscarawas can be fun too

Lots of other secondary and gravel roads in the area as well....you can spend hours exploring.
Rich B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #39353
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Lots of other secondary and gravel roads in the area as well....you can spend hours exploring.
That's probably a good 50% of why he's moving up there. "New" roads.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #39354
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,703
Hey flashover, here's an interesting look at the durability of a 525 on a RTW trip...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712492

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #39355
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 824
front

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
I know it's a little less svelte than my 525, but I should be able to hoist the front tire off the ground. I've seen rob do it, so I know it's possible! We'll have to get a group together sometime. If we pick the right day, meefzah can probably grace Todds Mountain View again...
you can wheel the thing but it takes a little work, the FCR is the key, it makes a huge difference when you get on the throttle. it carries alot weight in the front so its never going to be a wheelie monster
switching the cog for the woods is good if you are running single track
once you get it down it is easy
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #39356
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 813
Tenere at MidOhio

I was at MidOhio in Mt Vernon last night and they have a Tenere sitting on the floor waiting for somebody to take it home. It was marked $13,900 as I recall.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #39357
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
I was at MidOhio in Mt Vernon last night and they have a Tenere sitting on the floor waiting for somebody to take it home. It was marked $13,900 as I recall.
I'd rather have to order mine and wait 10 months for it to be delivered.

jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #39358
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
you can wheel the thing but it takes a little work, the FCR is the key, it makes a huge difference when you get on the throttle. it carries alot weight in the front so its never going to be a wheelie monster
switching the cog for the woods is good if you are running single track
once you get it down it is easy
I just want to be able to get the front up a little to clear stuff... Puddles, logs, you know, the stuff that'll put you on the ground if half the bike isn't past it when a tire hits it. Hmmm. I was hoping to not get into carbs, but if that's what it'll take, I guess I'll have to look into that route. What donor bikes can I source the FCR? is it fairly straight forward to swap? I swapped the 17 tooth for a 16 last night. Two questions. First, the right side axle adjuster is pretty tight. I was able to back it out a turn or two, but it was SQUEEKY TIGHT. I didnt want to force it any more. Any tricks to getting all the way out to antiseize it? I'm thinking heat and some Deep Creep? Also, I picked up a new countershaft bolt and spring washer. As I torqued it to 44ft/lbs, it seemed to really crush the washer down. When I looked at the old bolt/washer, I noticed that the old one had a collar that holds the washer captive and would bottom out on the shaft, whereas the new one just centers on the bolt and the two pieces can be separated. Which one is correct?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #39359
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #39360
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post

Whatever. I did not wait that long.

It was 9 months.