ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #39361
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
I was at MidOhio in Mt Vernon last night and they have a Tenere sitting on the floor waiting for somebody to take it home. It was marked $13,900 as I recall.
I'd rather have to order mine and wait 10 months for it to be delivered.

jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #39362
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
you can wheel the thing but it takes a little work, the FCR is the key, it makes a huge difference when you get on the throttle. it carries alot weight in the front so its never going to be a wheelie monster
switching the cog for the woods is good if you are running single track
once you get it down it is easy
I just want to be able to get the front up a little to clear stuff... Puddles, logs, you know, the stuff that'll put you on the ground if half the bike isn't past it when a tire hits it. Hmmm. I was hoping to not get into carbs, but if that's what it'll take, I guess I'll have to look into that route. What donor bikes can I source the FCR? is it fairly straight forward to swap? I swapped the 17 tooth for a 16 last night. Two questions. First, the right side axle adjuster is pretty tight. I was able to back it out a turn or two, but it was SQUEEKY TIGHT. I didnt want to force it any more. Any tricks to getting all the way out to antiseize it? I'm thinking heat and some Deep Creep? Also, I picked up a new countershaft bolt and spring washer. As I torqued it to 44ft/lbs, it seemed to really crush the washer down. When I looked at the old bolt/washer, I noticed that the old one had a collar that holds the washer captive and would bottom out on the shaft, whereas the new one just centers on the bolt and the two pieces can be separated. Which one is correct?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #39363
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #39364
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post

Whatever. I did not wait that long.

It was 9 months.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #39365
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 813
fcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
I just want to be able to get the front up a little to clear stuff... Puddles, logs, you know, the stuff that'll put you on the ground if half the bike isn't past it when a tire hits it. Hmmm. I was hoping to not get into carbs, but if that's what it'll take, I guess I'll have to look into that route. What donor bikes can I source the FCR? is it fairly straight forward to swap? I swapped the 17 tooth for a 16 last night. Two questions. First, the right side axle adjuster is pretty tight. I was able to back it out a turn or two, but it was SQUEEKY TIGHT. I didnt want to force it any more. Any tricks to getting all the way out to antiseize it? I'm thinking heat and some Deep Creep? Also, I picked up a new countershaft bolt and spring washer. As I torqued it to 44ft/lbs, it seemed to really crush the washer down. When I looked at the old bolt/washer, I noticed that the old one had a collar that holds the washer captive and would bottom out on the shaft, whereas the new one just centers on the bolt and the two pieces can be separated. Which one is correct?
i have the big nut on my counter shaft sprocket, i think they changed it in 05 so no idea on the 03
so a 39 fcr will give more bottom and a 41 will give more top, i think mine came out a YZF most and i had to make a custom boot to the airfilter
i think the ktm 4 stroke ones fit
one issue i had on hard landings, woops and bumpy hills the stock carb would bog down

after messing with mine a while a put a JD jet kit in it and it works good
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #39366
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
I just want to be able to get the front up a little to clear stuff... Puddles, logs, you know, the stuff that'll put you on the ground if half the bike isn't past it when a tire hits it.
Clutch.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #39367
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
That's a good thought too, the Strom will stall if you have the idle too low, even by a little.
+2.

I had to bump my DL1000's idle up a little. It would stall 75% of the time after warm when I pulled in the clutch coming to a stop, exactly like you're describing.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #39368
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
First, the right side axle adjuster is pretty tight. I was able to back it out a turn or two, but it was SQUEEKY TIGHT. I didnt want to force it any more. Any tricks to getting all the way out to antiseize it? I'm thinking heat and some Deep Creep?
If you can remove the nearest screws in the swing arm - probably for a brake line bracket and a chain cover - bend the straw on the penetrating oil and insert it through the holes to spray where the tip of the adjuster bolt should be. Put dots on the straw on the side it is bent to at the distance that will line the straw up with the adjuster bolts. You can get water in the swing arm and corrode the bolts where they extend past the aluminum into the void making it a real pain to back them out. Be patient, keeping them lubed and slowly working them back and forth; they will come out eventually. It may help to clean and the exposed threads and hose them down with penetrating oil as you thread them in all the way to get the oil into the threads in the swingarm. Be cautious with the use of heat. It can help the process, but too much torch time = flowing aluminum.
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #39369
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
I picked up a new countershaft bolt and spring washer. As I torqued it to 44ft/lbs, it seemed to really crush the washer down. When I looked at the old bolt/washer, I noticed that the old one had a collar that holds the washer captive and would bottom out on the shaft, whereas the new one just centers on the bolt and the two pieces can be separated. Which one is correct?
The parts list shows a second smaller (maybe flat) washer between the sprocket and spring (bell) washer. I'm wondering if that smaller washer has deformed or corroded enough to lock the old assembly together and look like a collar to you. You may be missing a washer at the moment.

Update: from http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2472919&postcount=1

CS sprocket bolt and spring washer P/N 590.33.034.044 $4.25

I now note the parts diagram also shows a second washer between the spring washer and the CS sprocket, P/N 0125 100003, which I don't recall after the fact... Never fear; a lil' birdy tells me that this washer at one time may have served the same purpose as the shoulder that is machined onto the OEM (not all the aftermarket folks get this essential part right...) CS sprocket, which the spring washer conforms to for the proper tension load - and give - on all that hard-to-reach stuff on the other end of the shaft.
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA

rxcrider screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 12:14 PM
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #39370
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
I just want to be able to get the front up a little to clear stuff... Puddles, logs, you know

you will miss that about the 525
you just got to get good with clutch/throttle/preload/timing
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #39371
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,889
Anyone want to go to Peoria by way of Toledo?

Boredom is a powerful thing, so I will probably be running a bike from Toledo to Peoria Ill for a guy later tonight and overnight.

I'm trailering, not riding. If any of you are night owls and want to spend 13 hours cooped up in a Civic with yours truly, well now's your chance. I have cleaned out my PM box in anticipation of the deluge. I will cover one meal at the Denny's of your chosing.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #39372
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,635
Are you trailering? If not, post pics of the bike packed in the civic. I hauled dirt bikes in the back seat of rentals before, but never as small as a civic.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #39373
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Are you trailering? If not, post pics of the bike packed in the civic. I hauled dirt bikes in the back seat of rentals before, but never as small as a civic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

I'm trailering, not riding.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #39374
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
It'll be okay
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #39375
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm trailering, not riding.
I read that, but some people use that terminology for hauling a bike in a pickup bed. That, and the fact that I don't see too many civics with hitches is why I asked. Have fun.