ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #39526
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Did you try a notarized BOS?
No, my BOS isn't notarized. If I can't find a BMV office that'll take it, I'll just wait on the notarized title. It's no big deal, it just sucks to be hiding / practicing in the cul-de-sac, where I can't get above 2nd gear.

Speaking of that... Does anyone know of places around northwest Columbus or Franklin County where I can ride on dirt without being in anyone's way? I'm thinking dirt lots, power line trails, abandoned commercial properties, ect. I'd like to work on fundamentals before trying a group ride.

Thanks,
Joe
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #39527
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Speaking of that... Does anyone know of places around northwest Columbus or Franklin County where I can ride on dirt without being in anyone's way? I'm thinking dirt lots, power line trails, abandoned commercial properties, ect. I'd like to work on fundamentals before trying a group ride.
It's going to be real tough to find something that's open enough to get any 'real' practice. You're not likely to find any trails in Franklin county and I blame Tony Hawk for that. He got all the kids off bikes and onto skateboards thusly killing urban BMX trails.

The reason you need open space is that the majority of the group ride stuff has a large amount of gravel road riding and you'll be doing over 30 (sometimes WAY over ) and the bike will act WAY different at higher speeds than putting around in an abandoned lot. Trail sections on the group rides are often very challenging single-track stuff that you just can't learn without doing it.

I personally enjoy exploring those kinda areas that you asked about, but I don't think it really helps my offroad skills all that much.

Post up when you're road legal and stuff and I'm sure somebody will be willing to go for an easy cruise. I'll take you on an easy gravel/backroad loop I've got that's east of Columbus if I'm available. I'm also on a WR250R.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #39528
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 547
Perry or WNF

Can Army Joe trailer to: Perry or WNF-Monday creek?? and ride with just a trail permit?

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_3301.htm

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_27ba.htm
Old 09-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #39529
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
No, my BOS isn't notarized. If I can't find a BMV office that'll take it, I'll just wait on the notarized title. It's no big deal, it just sucks to be hiding / practicing in the cul-de-sac, where I can't get above 2nd gear.

Thanks,
Joe
It's not super close, but you're welcome to come out to my place and practice on the trails....they range from quad-width easy to single track and technical. I'm adding more stuff, but there's about 3 miles of trails now will be more soon.

I'm about 35 miles east of Columbus.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #39530
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
It's not super close, but you're welcome to come out to my place and practice on the trails....they range from quad-width easy to single track and technical. I'm adding more stuff, but there's about 3 miles of trails now will be more soon.

I'm about 35 miles east of Columbus.
Don't let Swing dress you in a Qaddafi Hat and Glasses and send you down the trail that's marked (Target Maintenance)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #39531
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
Don't let Swing dress you in a Qaddafi Hat and Glasses and send you down the trail that's marked (Target Maintenance)
Did I mention the single track goes right through the firing range? Meh, small detail. Ride in a serpentine fashion, no problem.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #39532
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
The reason you need open space is that the majority of the group ride stuff has a large amount of gravel road riding and you'll be doing over 30 (sometimes WAY over ) and the bike will act WAY different at higher speeds than putting around in an abandoned lot.
That's why I'm looking for a dirt lot. This is my first 2-wheeler and until I'm old enough to recognize I'm mortal. In the Army, we use a crawl-walk-run methodology to training to reduce accidents and injuries. I plan to spend some time with Tips and Practice Guide for the Off-Highway Motorcyclist before I jump into the deep end.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #39533
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
That's why I'm looking for a dirt lot. This is my first 2-wheeler and until I'm old enough to recognize I'm mortal. In the Army, we use a crawl-walk-run methodology to training to reduce accidents and injuries. I plan to spend some time with Tips and Practice Guide for the Off-Highway Motorcyclist before I jump into the deep end.
Perfectly understandable, I started out in a very similar manner, but I started out on the street.

Those drills in the MSF dirtbike guide are good ones, but as you've discovered, finding a large, open space is pretty tough. Before you get into the hill and obstacle-related challenges, you can just as easily practice those drills on pavement. There is very little difference in grip when riding slowly on hard-packed dirt or asphalt.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #39534
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
If you start off running, you can practice crawling and walking after you fall. Throw caution to the wind - being timid will only get you hurt - and if you are riding solo, who will take your picture and post it on the interweb before they ask if you need help getting out from under your bike. But seriously, they will pick your bike up off of you or what ever else it takes to get you home as safely as possible. You will also learn quicker with someone around to give you pointers. If you have the opportunity, take some of these guys up on their offers. Don't worry about not being good enough - you will get there sooner with some help. Even if that just means they are riding behind you yelling at you to stand up. Obviously don't pick an enduro for your first day, but there are plenty of easy gravel rides or trail rides where you can work in an open area while someone else is hitting some single track.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #39535
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:

Joe, what side of Columbus are you on? There is a 12 mile abandoned rail road trail from Plain City to Cable. I've recently seen dirt bikes on it, but I highly recommend street legal bikes only. I fear the dirt bikes will inevitably cause issues with land owners along the RR bed.
If your free during the week I can ride it with you. If not I may be free this weekend since it's looking like Tar Hollow will be wet.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #39536
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Joe, what side of Columbus are you on? There is a 12 mile abandoned rail road trail from Plain City to Cable. I've recently seen dirt bikes on it, but I highly recommend street legal bikes only. I fear the dirt bikes will inevitably cause issues with land owners along the RR bed.
If your free during the week I can ride it with you. If not I may be free this weekend since it's looking like Tar Hollow will be wet.
I have Army Reserve battle assembly this weekend, but thanks to you and the others for the offers and advice.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #39537
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:
I have Army Reserve battle assembly this weekend, but thanks to you and the others for the offers and advice.
Well, if you see me post up a Tour De Flatsville ride, this is what the largest part of the ride is.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #39538
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Quote:

JOE, Thank You for your service and sacrifices.

Battle Assembly? what happen to "UTA" Unit Training Assembly or Weekend Drill? Gotta love it. GFT

What MOS or Branch are you serving in?

I am a old Huey Guy 67N

B-Mac screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 05:12 PM Reason: My Dick
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #39539
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
JOE, Thank You for your service and sacrifices.

Battle Assembly? what happen to "UTA" Unit Training Assembly or Weekend Drill? Gotta love it. GFT

What MOS or Branch are you serving in?

I am a old Huey Guy 67N
Thanks for the thanks. It's actually been a shitty year, family-wise. I've been on duty during my son's birthday, my daughter's birthday, my wife's birthday, my 20th wedding anniversary, my daughter's first day of kindergarden, and I'm not even deployed.

Battle Assembly is one of the new buzz words to make us feel better about ourselves. Another example is "Warrior-Citizen." Oh, and Soldier is capitalized, now. I think someone had Marine-envy.

My enlisted MOS was 25S, Satellite Communications System Operator-Maintainer. I'm now a Chief Warrant Officer 2 and my MOS is Network Management Technician.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #39540
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
JOE, Thank You for your service and sacrifice...
I am a old Huey Guy 67N
+1 from a former OH-ANG Cable Splicer. 220 EIS

Man, I always wanted to ride in a Huey. There's nothing like the sound of a huey's rotor... I'd stop what I was doing every time I'd hear that sound and watch until it was outta sight.