ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #39586
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Don't get me wrong I went to OSU but there are only two types of people there. Criminals and victims.
My daughter starts her freshman year there next week, aaaargh.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #39587
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
My daughter starts her freshman year there next week, aaaargh.
Well, if she's there to get a good education and learn she'll be fine. If she's there for a fun party every night and to be close to the "action" she'll find trouble sooner or later. When I was there the first thing they told us was crime is 50% higher on the East side of High Street. I think that still hold true. The campus itself is pretty safe for the size. I enjoyed going there, well at least when the weather was nice. Nothing like a 20 min walk in 3ft snow between classes.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #39588
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Luckily for me she recieved a full academic scholarship so I am assuming she's going there to learn. We live in a small town and she is maybe a little too trusting, however she is well traveled and I have given her the speech regarding the city.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #39589
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Im not worried much about my hood really. I have this total badass image going with the loud pipe on my klr.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #39590
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Im not worried much about my hood really. I have this total badass image going with the loud pipe on my klr.
oh - so loud pipes do save lives
Old 09-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #39591
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,771
Figure I could ask this elsewhere but the knowledge pool here is about as good as anywhere so here goes....

As I said a few days earlier my newish DID chain with 4k on it is starting to mist up on the inside links with rust, sure sign the o-rings have failed and are letting corrosion happen inside the rollers.

The dilemma I have is I am taking a weekend trip with the kiddo next weekend, and my new chain hasn't shipped yet and may not get here by the time I have to get on the road. I've had a chain fail like this before, but I changed it pronto and never let it get to the true fail point, so I'm curious if I could get by with another 500-600 miles if I kept it well lubed?

In a pinch, I could go to Pony and get a Bikemaster chain for a hundred bills and slap it on, I suppose, but I'd like to avoid that obviously.

Anyone have an opinion on that? Run a chain that's showing signs of an early death for a while with ill effects?

As far as kinking or showing any other signs of being worn, it's still good but if I ride it for any length of time the inside links will start to show a film of red powdery rust. Not bad yet, but it's there.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #39592
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Laugh

swingset sez:

"Anyone have an opinion on that?"

Opinions are like assholes....everyone has one

If it were my chain, I would remove it, wipe it clean, and drop it into a bucket of 90W gear oil and let it soak. Ignore it for at least 3 days. Then remove it and hang it up to drain. Wipe it down before you install it, after installation, use your favorite chain lube on it, and go for the ride.
Rich B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #39593
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 609
"Anyone have an opinion on that?"

Move over Oil Thread this could be a big one

Maybe Galvanic Corrosion, Sprocket-Chain Interaction,
1.Check side tooth wear on counter shaft sprocket
2. Inspect chain Elongation

If Chain and sprockets pass Inspection Limits then you and only you can make the Go/No-Go decision.

This is the Shit: http://www.corrosionx.com/aviation.html

I would Clean, Inspect, Lube and Adjust with all the weight on the bike for trip and go enjoy!

PS: You will be held liable now that we have discussed your chain short coming. Child Endangerment

B-Mac screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 02:05 PM
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #39594
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
People in Marion cower when Whitey rides by blasting his pipe for sure.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #39595
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
If it were my chain, I would remove it, wipe it clean, and drop it into a bucket of 90W gear oil and let it soak. Ignore it for at least 3 days. Then remove it and hang it up to drain. Wipe it down before you install it, after installation, use your favorite chain lube on it, and go for the ride.
Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully the new one shows up by the time we roll, but if not I can have this one soaked, lubed and ready. It hasn't shown any signs of stretching, kinking, premature wear other than the rust.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #39596
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,038
Well Gregsbro has new tires on the bike so Saturday lets go wear some rubber off them. I know I told Lisa Mechanicsburg, so I hope she doesn't kill me if I change the meeting spot to someplace easier for people to find. Meet up at 10:30 at the Speedway Gas Station on rt54 and I-70 in South Vienna.

I'll work on putting together a route this evening that will take us up from there towards Bellfountain for lunch (no idea where so suggestions are welcome), then back around Kiser Lake towards Springfield. I'll try to fit in some gravel roads I hope are still gravel. Mostly it will be back roads with chip and seal. Everyone love chip and seal!

Anyone can come, just show up at 10:30.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #39597
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I can have this one soaked, lubed and ready. It hasn't shown any signs of stretching, kinking, premature wear .
Why does everything you type sound dirty?

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #39598
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Why does everything you type sound dirty?
Because I'm sick, and I can't help it.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #39599
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Well Gregsbro has new tires on the bike so Saturday lets go wear some rubber off them. I know I told Lisa Mechanicsburg, so I hope she doesn't kill me if I change the meeting spot to someplace easier for people to find. Meet up at 10:30 at the Speedway Gas Station on rt54 and I-70 in South Vienna.

I'll work on putting together a route this evening that will take us up from there towards Bellfountain for lunch (no idea where so suggestions are welcome), then back around Kiser Lake towards Springfield. I'll try to fit in some gravel roads I hope are still gravel. Mostly it will be back roads with chip and seal. Everyone love chip and seal!

Thanks again Luke for all the help. Got the weed whacking done after You took off but to late to mow so that will have to wait until after the ride tomorrow.

Speedway at 10:30 , I'll be there.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #39600
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 787
I am the very definition of flexible... mentally that is.

Quote: