ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #39601
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny_Taggart View Post
I am the very definition of flexible... mentally that is.
Does that mean you could be a little mentally twisted?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #39602
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
Thanks again Luke for all the help. Got the weed whacking done after You took off but to late to mow so that will have to wait until after the ride tomorrow.

Speedway at 10:30 , I'll be there.
No problem. I'm just glad you didn't kick me out after the first tire wouldn't inflate. Good little ride tonight too. I'll start looking for that used DR400 for you so we can terrorize the local kids at the creek crossing.
2006 KLR650
Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #39603
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Does that mean you could be a little mentally twisted?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #39604
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny_Taggart View Post

Okay there Twisted Sister, no need to play the jazz music for me.
2006 KLR650
Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #39605
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,057
For what it's worth Craig, I messed up and at the 300-500 mile mark I did my first chain clean and lube with a wire brush. My o-rings are shot and I have managed another 10k miles just by shooting some wd40 on it after every ride.

I know my bike is lighter with less hp then yours, but I dont see where it will have a failure in that short of distance. My theory on it is the oring just keeps lube isolated for guaranteed lube and max chain life. Since you they are no longer doing their job, just lube it more often to keep it from running dry.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #39606
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Okay there Twisted Sister, no need to play the jazz music for me.
ok

Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #39607
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
As I said a few days earlier my newish DID chain with 4k on it is starting to mist up on the inside links with rust, sure sign the o-rings have failed and are letting corrosion happen inside the rollers.
Is the corrosion (rust) coming from between the rollers and plates? If so, that part of the chain isn't sealed by the o-rings, just the pin and the hollow pin that runs between the inner plates. Unless you've been power washing, I can't see how anything could have gotten in there that easily and early. Is the chain pulling away from the sprockets more than normal? Can you move the inner pin inside the hollow pin under the roller? (stretch and compress)

Though my chains have always just worn out by having the pin wear out the inside of the hollow pin, I did have one that lost quite a few of the rollers that ride on the hollow pin.

Only one chain has ever failed me in 30+ years and that was a no-name chain that the previous owner of my 640 installed. Only had the bike a couple weeks and while accelerating briskly down the road it broke both inner plates in one link. Luckily the chain just rolled off and didn't take the back of the motor or slave cylinder off the clutch and I was able to coast to the gas station.

I just noticed this evening when removing the sprocket cover on the Ascot that Honda put a chain on that single that is bigger than what came on my Transalp, 640 or 950!

BTW, Spikes Shine Shop is now an authorized Royal Enfield dealer.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #39608
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Is the corrosion (rust) coming from between the rollers and plates? If so, that part of the chain isn't sealed by the o-rings, just the pin and the hollow pin that runs between the inner plates. Unless you've been power washing, I can't see how anything could have gotten in there that easily and early. Is the chain pulling away from the sprockets more than normal? Can you move the inner pin inside the hollow pin under the roller? (stretch and compress)
Here's a thread I started over on VSRI detailing the problem, and also what I found when I disassembled the left-over links from my install.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php...;topicseen#new

IMHO, the o-rings and inner pin/rollers did not get enough lubrication from the factory and are failing, letting the inner contact areas corrode from whatever moisture makes its way in from rain/cleaning, etc. The chain has been on the loose side of the adjustment scale since new, so no overheating issues and it's not from aggressive cleaning or power washing...I never hit the chain with that or use any cleaning materials that should be getting past the o-rings.

The rust is a red, powdery mist coating the entire inner plates of the chain, and it happens on dry conditions not after getting wet then drying. It's rust, for sure, and is not surface rust...it's baby-powder consistency.

I've disassembled other chains and the o-rings and inner contact areas were wet with white grease, this chain is nearly dry. Maybe that's how DID's go and my o-rings are just shitty, that I can't be sure of but it's failing prematurely, the OEM chain (also a DID) gave me 29,000 miles with the exact same adjustment and cleaning regimen.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #39609
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
The red dust probably isn't rust, it's more likely the clay binder portion of the lubricant inside the links, and is indicative of o-ring failure.

If you keep the chain lubed well, I don't think you'll have any issues in your trip.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #39610
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Here's a thread I started over on VSRI detailing the problem, and also what I found when I disassembled the left-over links from my install.
Quote:

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php...;topicseen#new

IMHO, the o-rings and inner pin/rollers did not get enough lubrication from the factory and are failing, letting the inner contact areas corrode from whatever moisture makes its way in from rain/cleaning, etc. The chain has been on the loose side of the adjustment scale since new, so no overheating issues and it's not from aggressive cleaning or power washing...I never hit the chain with that or use any cleaning materials that should be getting past the o-rings.

The rust is a red, powdery mist coating the entire inner plates of the chain, and it happens on dry conditions not after getting wet then drying. It's rust, for sure, and is not surface rust...it's baby-powder consistency.

I've disassembled other chains and the o-rings and inner contact areas were wet with white grease, this chain is nearly dry. Maybe that's how DID's go and my o-rings are just shitty, that I can't be sure of but it's failing prematurely, the OEM chain (also a DID) gave me 29,000 miles with the exact same adjustment and cleaning regimen.

Great Info Swing, You stated on the vsri site that you are using new Renthals sprockets with this chain. Can you tell me if the front is 1. Aluminum Alloy 2. Chromoly 3. harden steel or combo . thanks, hope everything works out.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #39611
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post

Great Info Swing, You stated on the vsri site that you are using new Renthals sprockets with this chain. Can you tell me if the front is 1. Aluminum Alloy 2. Chromoly 3. harden steel or combo . thanks, hope everything works out.
655M13Nickel-Chrome-Molybdenum alloy steel, according to the package both front and rear came in.

BTW, in that thread on VSRI there was a link over to another post where a few guys are reporting early kinking on DID chains. I'm wondering if DID has been letting some QC slide or there's a bad batch of o-rings that's causing problems for them.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #39612
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,499
I'd run the chain, Craig, without any concern. Hell my DL chain is over 25,000 miles now and has needed replacement for the last 5k.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #39613
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'd run the chain, Craig, without any concern. Hell my DL chain is over 25,000 miles now and has needed replacement for the last 5k.
Yeah, but see you're Johnny Danger, a risk taking mofo of the wasteland and shit, and I'm a sissy pants and I worry about stuff.

I'm still sweating Y2k and bird flu.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #39614
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I have Army Reserve battle assembly this weekend, but thanks to you and the others for the offers and advice.
I rode the Spyder down to Ft Knox tonight. It was my first night ride since May. I forgot how cold 60 degrees feels at 80 MPH. I need to get out more.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #39615
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
On Sunday I noticed that my rear tire had a flat spot, worn clear through, cords showing, my plan was to order a new tire off the internets Sunday night, and get it mounted up so I would be ready to go today. I forgot, had a busy week, and didn't give it a thought until last evening. I';; be lucky yo find a rear tire anywhere this side of Columbus, so I'm down for the weekend.