ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #40441
irideablackbike
Rider wannabe

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Good luck with that. Take how long you expect the project to take and how much you plan on spending and triple each number.
Thanks for the vote of confidence I'm looking forward to the project to be honest.
irideablackbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #40442
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,711
Epoxy on a caliper

I've got a vintage caliper that I stripped somewhat when removing the bleeder screw. Apparently the steel was harder than the aluminum. Has anyone ever filled in the bleeder hole, and then tapped it? I think a helicoil will leak even if I epoxy it in, and I don't know if it can be welded.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #40443
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
We normally ride to Howard, the halfway point to Danville, and stop for ice cream before heading back to Mt Vernon. It's mostly flat, except for the slight grade in/out of Mt. Vernon. When coming back towing a trail-a-bike, make sure the little SOB is pedalling.

Yahoo maps with terrain.

This route will eventually be part of the Cincinnati-Cleveland bike trail.
The Kokosing gap trail is nice, I've ridden it a couple times this year. I went to Howard and back both times.

The trail I ride from Johnstown to Newark is really nice, especially from Alexandria into Granville and on into the West side of Newark, follows the river the whole way, tree lined and mostly flat. It has the added benefit of often containing hot college girls in tight yoga pants. This helps to increase bloodflow as you work out.

In Newark you can go East all the way out to Hanover, or North up to the OSU Campus and beyond. Some hills and grades in there to challenge you, tunnels, curvy spots in the woods, then it goes long and straight again.

I also like the Olentangy trail in Columbus, I stop and ride that on my way to work a lot, very pretty.

swingset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #40444
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

The trail I ride from Johnstown to Newark is really nice, especially from Alexandria into Granville and on into the West side of Newark, follows the river the whole way, tree lined and mostly flat. It has the added benefit of often containing hot college girls in tight yoga pants....
Don't forget Knuckleheads (Formerly Harolds Dairy Bar) in Granville. Excellent Barbecue sammich!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #40445
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
Don't forget Knuckleheads (Formerly Harolds Dairy Bar) in Granville. Excellent Barbecue sammich!
Not that I don't agree with you, they have great food, but pretty much everything on the menu is carby, fatty, unhealthy and I've been riding the bike to lose weight.

I suppose I could say that the ride is offsetting the goodies I eat. I really hate eating right, btw.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #40446
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Not that I don't agree with you, they have great food, but pretty much everything on the menu is carby, fatty, unhealthy ......

I don't really have anything else to add here.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #40447
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
I don't really have anything else to add here.
See, I've been starting my rides right there behind Knuckleheads, so it keeps me from temptation because at the beginning of the ride I don't eat all that stuff, and at the end I'd get sick if I did. So, it forces me to ride into the North End of Newark, where I go to the chinese place and get a plate of veggies and some lean chicken...then ride back to the car.

Genius, I tells ya.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #40448
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
That's EXACTLY what I thought. One of the people I stand next to and think "if I had legs like that, I'd be a pair of walking boobs"
Can you find me in this pic.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #40449
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
My personal rule of thumb is that she is available for you to use (unless my son is using her) as long as I'm along for the ride. Currently I'm up in the air as far as the ride as I'm not sure if the animals come home from the fair Saturday or Sunday. If Saturday, I'm probably good, if Sunday I'm screwed...
thanks big fella. there's a decent chance I'll have Dora back together and running by then. The bearing I needed just came in today, so I can start the reassembly tomorrow.

btw, who's taller, you or buildit?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #40450
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
btw, who's taller, you or buildit?
Does it matter? If you have to look up to us it shouldn't.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #40451
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
sat.10-8 ride?

Anyone riding tmw.? If you want to ride some gravel let me know. Alan
alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #40452
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
That's EXACTLY what I thought. One of the people I stand next to and think "if I had legs like that, I'd be a pair of walking boobs"
You are going to fit in perfectly around here.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #40453
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Can you find me in this pic.

sooo....yea.....
You know that height strip they have on the doors as you leave a gas station? That 5' mark always taughts me and if you are standing close enough, you will here me mutter "fuckers" as I pass through the door.
This will be quite humorous.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #40454
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Group Ride to Invisible Monsters Garage Day from Iron Pony.

Meet up at 11am and we roll by 11:30 or after I finish shopping, whichever happens last. We can do a short route, long route or a scenic route that may or may not get us there.

Post up if you wanna ride along. I plan to leave sort of early, so for those staying past 4pm you might wanna bring a GPS to find a way home.

Buildit
Army Joe
Dagny Taggart
Hey Luke, would you want to take the scenic route to the Garage Day? I want to go re-run some of the cool gravel roads and other stuff from last weeks Flint Ridge Road Enduro. We did a few muddy bits, rode across Wakatomika Creek (no bridge), and rode down into the ravine and over the Gregg Mill covered bridge. It was pretty cool.

We can hit some gravel roads heading south down to Crooksville and the garage Day. Want me to meet you at Iron Pony so we can ride together? I don't know of a lot of gravel roads between Columbus and Utica but once we get east of Utica it'll get fun.

Let me know if you do and I'll make it the plan. I'll show you this stuff and then you lead me next weekend on the Kids Ride down at Tar Hollow.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #40455
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,519
Thumb mini ride report

so, today was a most excellent day for me...allow me to explain:

last night while reading my SabMag email list, I found out that a fellow Maggot from Cleveland was going to be heading (sort of) this way on his way to W.Va. for the weekend. I shot off an email suggesting we meet for lunch. He was amenable to that so we arranged to meet at noon in Woodsfield at the Subway. This worked out to my advantage because to get to Woodsfield, I'd have to pass through Caldwell, where the current Farnsy Tag was located, so I'd be able to knock off two birds with one stone. So, I got up at the ungodly hour of 7:45 am and was on the road by 9.

After a quick stop at the ATM, I headed out of Lancaster on 37, which was lightly trafficed today so I made good time through Junction City, New Lexington and Malta, arriving in McConnelsville shortly after 10. There I picked up 78 which would take me the rest of the way to Woodsfield. Had a nice, mostly uneventful ride on 78...the big excitement was the couple of deer off to the right while a local cop was coming the other way...fortunately the deer decided they didnt like the music I had blasting (Alice Cooper - Is it my body?) and bolted into the woods instead of out in front of me, so I ended up not needing the services of the local po-po.

Just a couple miles past I-77 sits the bustling burg of Caldwell and the intersection of 78 and 564, where the Farnsy tag was...which was convenient timing as my butt needed a break by then. Stopped and got my pictures and took a 10 minute break. Then it was back on the bike and off to Woodsfield, where I arrived at about 11:40. That gave me time to gas up Maggie and find a nice parking spot right in front of the Subway. My Maggot buddy, David, was very punctual...arriving at almost exactly noon. David was riding two up with his lovely gf Polly on his silver ST1100. After a couple minutes of intros and hand shaking we adjourned into Subway for lunch, accompanied by lots of bs about rides gone by and plans for the rest of today.

Some 45 mins or so later, we were gearing up with plans to take 26 down to Marietta, where upon David and Polly would head to W.Va. while I would turn towards home. After gassing up the ST, we rolled the couple miles down 800/26 to where 26 proper begins. David led and I followed. Once on 26 proper, David proceeded to leave me in his dust...I kept up, sort of, for about 2.5 miles. By 3 miles in, I wasn't even seeing glimpses of him up ahead. And remember, this is 2 up on an ST1100 which is, in David's own words "a wallowing pig" in the corners. No matter, he still ran away from me like I was standing still. Told you those Maggots were fast.

Fortunately, I was expecting this, so I wasn't particularly disappointed. I've got about 30,000 miles under my belt, while David has over 200,000. And we had a rendezvous point picked out for just such an occurrence. So I just rode my ride and hustled my own wallowing pig down 26 as fast as I dared, which was fast enough that no one came up behind me needing to pass my slow ass. And I even came upon a couple of Harley riders that I thought I was going to have to pass, but they turned off just before that became necessary. The only pass I ended up making was the farmer pulling a john-boat on a trailer behind his tractor...he noticed me coming and pulled way over for me and I blasted past him on a shallow uphill corner. Gave him a wave and a toot of the horn as I accelerated on by. Thanks Mr. Farmer.

By the way, for those who may be interested...26 is, as of today, in very good shape debris wise...very little gravel in any of the corners and I only had to dodge one pile of Amish road-apples. There were leaves all over the place, but since there hasn't been any rain the past few days, they were dry and not really a concern. Couple spots had walnuts, but they were mostly already smashed by previous vehicles.

So anyway, after 45 miles or so of twisty-turny motorcycle heaven, I got to the end of 26 in Marietta and promptly spotted David and Polly waiting patiently for me at the rendezvous. They said they'd only been waiting about 5 minutes, but I'd bet it was more like 10. Anyway, we shot the shit for about 20 mins or so then said our goodbyes and headed off on our separate paths. It was good to see David again and nice to meet Polly. Hopefully for him, Polly will stick around a while...she seems really nice and seems to really love riding pillion. Btw, did I mention that this was her first long ride of any kind? She didn't seem at all fazed by David's need for speed, which is going to be crucial for their relationship. He loves to ride long and hard and fast and she'll have to be good with that if they are to last. I wish them luck.

My plan for the ride home was to roll down to route 7, take it over to 50, which would get to to 33 and back to Lancaster. That lasted all of about 5 mins, as I got in the wrong lane at an intersection and ended up having to turn right instead of go straight to get to 7. Oh well, I've taken that route before, so I decided to find a different route home. Found my way to route 60, which parallels the Muskingum river all the way to Zanesville. So I took that out of Marretta. However, I knew I didn't want to take it all the way up to McConnelsville, because then I'd be taking the same route from there back home...so I cruised up 60 til I hit Beverly, the turned south down 339. Nice road...took it to Barlow, where I stopped for my second tank of gas of the day, then turned west on 550. 550 would be a very nice road, except for the fact that from Barlow to about Bartlett it's very wash-boardy...lots of those little pushed up ridges that just wanna rattle your teeth. I could have run it at 65-70 as far as curves go but found that 50-55 seemed to be the least rattly speed for my suspension.

After passing through Bartlett, the road surface improved immensely and the road got a lot more curvy. In fact, the last mile or so before 550 turns south as it joins 377, is downright twisty! Quite enjoyable. Once it turns south, 550 is gently curvy and well maintained....I think I was averaging about 65 through this part. This road ends just below Chauncy/The Plains, where it dumps you onto 33. Since I was getting somewhat tired, and my butt quite sore by this point, I jumped on to 33 and slabbed it towards home. Naturally, as is my custom when I'm out that way, I stopped off in Logan at the Millstone for some bbq pork rolls and 2 Blue Moons. That took up about 45 minutes, which my ass appreciated, then I hoped aboard Maggie for the final push home. I really like the stretch of 664 from Logan to Hide-away Hills road, so I took that and it was mercifully free of cages for once. I like to track my avg speed on that 10ish mile section and I was able to put up a 54 avg today. Not too bad, considering my best is a 55. From there its a hop skip and jump back over to 33 at Tarkiln Rd and then home.

All told today, I did about 260 miles, which includes the 7-8 mile round trip up to Ask for my bearing for the XR, which came in today (YAY!). And only about 30-40 of those miles were on slab. Throw in picture perfect weather and the beginning of the fall foliage color-change and you can't ask for a much better day on Ohio roads than that.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301

sion screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 06:38 PM
sion is offline   Reply With Quote