ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #40591
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer
 
vivid dadas's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Thumbolia
Oddometer: 860
Quote:
and then yesterday evening I washed both it and the DR.
I'm not sure why you want to jinx your DR this blatantly.
__________________
"Five stinking radicals in a three cylinder Saab!"
vivid dadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #40592
paulthefermenter
excitable boy
 
paulthefermenter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Ohia
Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Had an interesting thing happen to the V-Strom yesterday.

I rode it two days ago down to garage day, and then on some gravel and such with Solace after, about 300 miles total. No problems.

I got home and parked it, and then yesterday evening I washed both it and the DR.

After washing it, I went to take it for a spin to dry off the chain and brakes, and the clutch lever was totally limp. It flopped against the handlebar like the cable was broken, which I knew it wasn't, since I had replaced it not that long ago.

I ended up checking the adjustment at both ends and the adjustment nuts at the bottom, where the cable enters the transmission, had completely backed off. I tightened them and adjusted the cable to spec and it's fine.

The wierd thing is how / when it happened. How on earth could it suddenly manifest itself while sitting in my garage? I would have expected it to have happened while in use. I had to pull in the clutch in about 600 times on the ride, and had to clutch in right as I arrived int he garage and parked, and it was working 100%.

Strange.

That is all.
Do you know of anyone that might have a vendetta against you?

(Just makeing light of course)

Glad you found it before you got on the road.
__________________
Said Somecallmetim,
"At the best of times motorcycling is an ill-advised, foolish pursuit that any wise man would avoid."
paulthefermenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #40593
buildit
Pumpkin Rider
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Near London, OH "sort of"
Oddometer: 13,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Had an interesting thing happen to the V-Strom yesterday.

I rode it two days ago down to garage day, and then on some gravel and such with Solace after, about 300 miles total. No problems.

I got home and parked it, and then yesterday evening I washed both it and the DR.

After washing it, I went to take it for a spin to dry off the chain and brakes, and the clutch lever was totally limp. It flopped against the handlebar like the cable was broken, which I knew it wasn't, since I had replaced it not that long ago.

I ended up checking the adjustment at both ends and the adjustment nuts at the bottom, where the cable enters the transmission, had completely backed off. I tightened them and adjusted the cable to spec and it's fine.

The wierd thing is how / when it happened. How on earth could it suddenly manifest itself while sitting in my garage? I would have expected it to have happened while in use. I had to pull in the clutch in about 600 times on the ride, and had to clutch in right as I arrived int he garage and parked, and it was working 100%.

Strange.

That is all.
Isn't the clutch on the wee strom hydraulic like the V strom? Or did this happen to the DR?
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #40594
Whitey1
"Whitebread"
 
Whitey1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Marion, Ohio
Oddometer: 9,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthefermenter View Post
Do you know of anyone that might have a vendetta against you?

(Just makeing light of course)

Glad you found it before you got on the road.
It sounds like someone messed with it to me also.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #40595
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Isn't the clutch on the wee strom hydraulic like the V strom? Or did this happen to the DR?
Cable on the Wee.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #40596
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post

Connies favorite bike of the weekend


My wife's favorite too, saw a similar ride like that at Mid Ohio



Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post

Very cool 3 speed board tracker styled bike (out of Indianapolis) $2900


I love those old board trackers. Thought about what'd it take to make one I could make street legal
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #40597
Whitey1
"Whitebread"
 
Whitey1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Marion, Ohio
Oddometer: 9,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I love those old board trackers. Thought about what'd it take to make one I could make street legal
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=621

Very cool bike with a cool build thread!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #40598
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,817
KTM Demo Rides

Crow Canyon Turkey Run

www.crowcanyonmx.com
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #40599
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=621

Very cool bike with a cool build thread!


Thanks, now I have to go change my shorts and start selling stuff
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #40600
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I love those old board trackers. Thought about what'd it take to make one I could make street legal
Just wondering, does it meet the criteria of this? (from http://bmv.ohio.gov/moped_info.stm)

The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The helper motor may not:
  • have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;
  • produce more than one brake horsepower; and
  • propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface.
If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle.
__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #40601
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
The helper motor may not:
  • have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;
  • produce more than one brake horsepower; and
  • propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface.
If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle.

Nothing I'd own that runs on gas will be slower than I can pedal my bicycle!

I have no clue how many CC's my heart is and I only average 350 watts (0.47 HP) for 30 minutes but I averaged 23mph for 100 miles so I can at least break one of those criteria
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #40602
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
That is weird. Didn't you have a similar problem with the WRR, or am I thinking of someone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthefermenter View Post
Do you know of anyone that might have a vendetta against you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
It sounds like someone messed with it to me also.
The front forks were re-adjusted, one to each end of the adjustment spectrum, on the WRR.

I have a hard time thinking anyone would fuck with a man's bike like that. I mean, first of all, you would need some level of knowledge to know what you were fucking with; and then you would need tools; and there are scads better ways to mess with a guy's bike - knocking it over, dropping rocks in the oil fill, removing an axle nut, and so on.

Plus, it was parked in the garage, so no one had access to it. I'm confident it happened on it's own, while riding. Just wierd that it showed up after it had been parked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Hmmm.... the morning of the 30th we are moving and some of our ADV bruthas will be helping us out. Might be a good way to end the day for everyone, stopping in at Crow Canyon.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #40603
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

I have a hard time thinking anyone would fuck with a man's bike like that

I had someone at a race once turn my compression adjust on the rear shock to full on. I never change mine once set and when I almost had kidney failure from a rear shock that wouldn't move, I knew something wasn't right.


Hopefully your moving party will get you done quick and on the trail
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #40604
The Toad
Let There Be Light
 
The Toad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location.
Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
You could always hit Perry State Forest, which is legal and free if you're plated...if your goal is to hone offroad skills it's a hell of a fine playground for doing just that as you usually have it to yourself, and it ranges from silty sand to mud pits to rocky inclines.

There are some outlaw trails and unincorporated roads around, with varying degrees of legality, if that's your thing I'm sure you could find a willing guide to show ya around to those.
Thanks. could a person spend a day or even two there ?
__________________
MondoMotos - LED Auxiliary Light Kits
RoadRUNNER Magazine - Blog
Ride Reports - Four Corners - Amish Country - Costa Rica - Expedition Michigan (or not) - Tellico Plains
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #40605
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Thanks. could a person spend a day or even two there ?
Carelessly riding through a mud hole could net you a whole week just trying to get it out! You don't want to ride into anything that you can't see bottom
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014