ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #40636
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
+1 on DealExtreme. They're my go-to for cheap toys. DinoDirect has cheap overpowered laserpointers (that shouldnt be but are shipped to the US) and some other cheap toys as well. Thanks for the heads up on GoAthletic; I love underarmor but hate the price of it.
Thanks for the tip on Dino Direct. I've looked at DealExtreme a few times but haven't bought anything yet.

I have bought some cheap camping stuff (fire strikers, etc.) from Meritline with good success also. I use bensbargains to keep up on the current deals.
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #40637
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,647
Vespa meets Skate Park

Ride the bowl with a Vespa from JC Pieri on Vimeo.

__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #40638
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer
 
vivid dadas's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Thumbolia
Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Anyone* interested in a Sun-Mon-Tue camping trip, destination / routes to be determined?
I'm locked into something Sunday day time, but I'm good to go Sunday afternoon on out.
__________________
"Five stinking radicals in a three cylinder Saab!"
vivid dadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #40639
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts
 
GailCallsMeKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tioga, Texas
Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Bump for this weekend.

IN! GEEKED!! Ready! (I think?) The 230 has street tires (its an M) so it might be interesting....or I might meet you with ttr125 in bed of truck....thoughts appreciated.
I also have Friday afternoon off if anyone is bored and wants to ride...
__________________
"....the poster child for "Bike-Fu for Women", self defense techniques on the trail." ~ Danjal

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #40640
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts
 
GailCallsMeKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tioga, Texas
Oddometer: 897
Sunday - geeked, amped...tires??

I could also run over to IP friday and get new tires...which would be the smart thing to do I suppose. Yes? (looking for guidance if not obvious) and if that's the case, suggestions on tires?
sorry for the noobie question, just for background info: BFF that got me into this is currently in Afganistan, so he's hit or miss on communication. Haven't heard from him in 2 days on my tire question. I'm sure he has better things to do at the moment. so in the mean time, any thoughts are appreciated on a 50/50 tire.
__________________
"....the poster child for "Bike-Fu for Women", self defense techniques on the trail." ~ Danjal

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #40641
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition
 
EJV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: S10 n C'bus
Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I could also run over to IP friday and get new tires...which would be the smart thing to do I suppose. Yes? (looking for guidance if not obvious) and if that's the case, suggestions on tires?
sorry for the noobie question, just for background info: BFF that got me into this is currently in Afganistan, so he's hit or miss on communication. Haven't heard from him in 2 days on my tire question. I'm sure he has better things to do at the moment. so in the mean time, any thoughts are appreciated on a 50/50 tire.


50/50 Tire = A round one.

Usually works good.

__________________
I think I am a Hipster now, I got a Mac.
EJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #40642
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I could also run over to IP friday and get new tires...which would be the smart thing to do I suppose. Yes? (looking for guidance if not obvious) and if that's the case, suggestions on tires?
sorry for the noobie question, just for background info: BFF that got me into this is currently in Afganistan, so he's hit or miss on communication. Haven't heard from him in 2 days on my tire question. I'm sure he has better things to do at the moment. so in the mean time, any thoughts are appreciated on a 50/50 tire.
If it is dry Saturday like the weather is predicting a street tire like a gripster, anakee or tourance would be okay. Only a few areas with sections that might cause issues. Not sure what the "M" reference is? Also not sure what tires fit the CRF230.

For most a Shinko 244 will be an inexpensive option for good offroad handling and road performance.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 07:34 AM
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #40643
jimjim
Just another FF!
 
jimjim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: oHIo
Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Anyone* interested in a Sun-Mon-Tue camping trip, destination / routes to be determined? Probably street only, maybe some gravel roads if I come accross them but not seeking out gravel or offroad. One last hurrah before Old Man Winter breaks out the Jameson's bottle to return the favor.

*Anyone refers to people I like, that list of people I like is very short and available by PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
I'm locked into something Sunday day time, but I'm good to go Sunday afternoon on out.
*Hey vivid I don't think meef was referring to ones stature when he said very short.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #40644
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts
 
GailCallsMeKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tioga, Texas
Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
If it is dry Saturday like the weather is predicting a street tire like a gripster, anakee or tourance would be okay. Only a few areas with sections that might cause issues. Not sure what the "M" reference is? Also not sure what tires fit the CRF230.

For most a Shinko 244 will be an inexpensive option for good offroad handling and road performance.
Thank you for the serious response. I admit my panties were in a wad there for a second with the "round one" comment. I just know I've heard Eric bitch about certain tires (for the life of me I can't recall which ones) Appreciated!
CRF 230M (my bike)
Attached Images
 
__________________
"....the poster child for "Bike-Fu for Women", self defense techniques on the trail." ~ Danjal

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #40645
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Thank you for the serious response. I admit my panties were in a wad there for a second with the "round one" comment. I just know I've heard Eric bitch about certain tires (for the life of me I can't recall which ones) Appreciated!
CRF 230M (my bike)
Ahhh, M as in motard. Can't say I know much about how it will handle anything the least bit muddy. I guess we'll just take it slow in those areas and provide help if needed.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #40646
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,165
My son recently turned 15 1/2 and is asking about upgrading from a moped to a motorcycle. Do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap, reliable, used bike that won't be painful to insure?
__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #40647
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
My son recently turned 15 1/2 and is asking about upgrading from a moped to a motorcycle. Do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap, reliable, used bike that won't be painful to insure?
Watch Craigs list and if you find something interesting post it up and we'll pick it apart.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #40648
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Watch Craigs list and if you find something interesting post it up and we'll pick it apart.
My first thought was to look for a 250cc Honda Rebel. The low seat height would be good for a kid, it's probably the same bike used in the MSF course, and with winter coming, people will probably be looking to dump bikes that aren't being ridden.
__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #40649
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
My first thought was to look for a 250cc Honda Rebel. The low seat height would be good for a kid, it's probably the same bike used in the MSF course, and with winter coming, people will probably be looking to dump bikes that aren't being ridden.
If you like cruisers, both the Suzuki GZ250 and the Yamaha Virago 250 would be preferable to the Rebel 250 IMHO. The Rebel is underpowered, and normally that's not a gripe I have with a bike, especially for new riders, but I mean REALLY underpowered. They had a couple at our MSF and even the instructors hated them. I rode a TW200 and vastly preferred it to the cruisers.

My obvious recommendation for a noob is a used dual sport like a Super Sherpa or KLR250, which are lower but still offer all the advantages of a DS to a new rider, including the ability to learn in a safe environment, on a bike that can be knocked over without damage, more fun, cheaper, better upright seating position with better visibility, and easier to maintain, the list goes on.

A Ninja 250 would be a great scoot too for a new rider as well. They're cheap, plentiful, just right in the power and ergonomics department, and are easy to ride.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #40650
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
My first thought was to look for a 250cc Honda Rebel. The low seat height would be good for a kid, it's probably the same bike used in the MSF course, and with winter coming, people will probably be looking to dump bikes that aren't being ridden.
Yeah, usually right after christmas the deals come out. Taxes and big bills force some low prices. Plus not many are looking for a new bike in January. Probably the most common cheap starter is the 250 Ninja. But don't hate on a good KLR250, DRZ400, CRF230, XT250 or DR350 just because they are dual sports.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014