ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #40651
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Ahhh, M as in motard. Can't say I know much about how it will handle anything the least bit muddy. I guess we'll just take it slow in those areas and provide help if needed.
yep. I hate the color red. (230L is red) it's the same as the L but diff wheels/tires. (and the seat is squisher and I like a happy ass) I'm replacing the rims as well (with same size as 230L)
I know, dork....but I REALLY hate the color red. will try to accomplish before Sunday but if not, help appreciated and laughter is just fine. I fully expect to be a turtle in need of recovery. Hell, I even bought a green jacket.
Attached Images

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #40652
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
My first thought was to look for a 250cc Honda Rebel. The low seat height would be good for a kid, it's probably the same bike used in the MSF course, and with winter coming, people will probably be looking to dump bikes that aren't being ridden.
Like this? Way under powered but for $400.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2646453094.html
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #40653
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
yep. I hate the color red. (230L is red) it's the same as the L but diff wheels/tires. (and the seat is squisher and I like a happy ass) I'm replacing the rims as well (with same size as 230L)
I know, dork....but I REALLY hate the color red. will try to accomplish before Sunday but if not, help appreciated and laughter is just fine. I fully expect to be a turtle in need of recovery. Hell, I even bought a green jacket.
Sounds like a big grocery list to get done. It begs the question, what do you want the bike to do? Be more dual sport oriented? Be a sexy road machine that looks off road-ish? Be a daily rider with light off road ability? I'd say right now the way it's set up is mostly the later. Little tweaks will improve it for different things but rider ability and skill can make bald tires and blown fork seals seem like a non issue. (Reference to crazyJ and his KLX250)
2006 KLR650
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #40654
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
If you air your tires down to 10-15psi when you get to the offroady parts, you can limp through the loose stuff or mud just fine, especially if you dog-paddle through it. Your bike isn't making enough power to spin the tires on the rims so it's not a big issue, just be a little more careful on the pavement.

I've taken the big Vstrom through some slop holes that way wearing street tires, it'll do it.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #40655
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
If you air your tires down to 10-15psi when you get to the offroady parts, you can limp through the loose stuff or mud just fine, especially if you dog-paddle through it. Your bike isn't making enough power to spin the tires on the rims so it's not a big issue, just be a little more careful on the pavement.

I've taken the big Vstrom through some slop holes that way wearing street tires, it'll do it.
sweet. thanks! will you be joining us?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #40656
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
It begs the question, what do you want the bike to do? Be more dual sport oriented? Be a sexy road machine that looks off road-ish? Be a daily rider with light off road ability? I'd say right now the way it's set up is mostly the later. Little tweaks will improve it for different things but rider ability and skill can make bald tires and blown fork seals seem like a non issue. (Reference to crazyJ and his KLX250)
dual purpose. did I get f'cked by a dealer? most likely. weak moment. But it's what I own.
I like woods, camping. But also daily commuter to OSU (35 mile each way)
original plan was to ride it as is til the tires go and then replace the whole gig.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #40657
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,620
red

Quote:
Everybody knows that the red bikes are the fastest ones !!! That`s why my KLR is red and my GS is red and my big fat ass is red......and I hate what ever color your bike is.....what color is it again? Guess I`ll have to show up Sunday in all my "RED" glory.........I mean
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #40658
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
A Ninja 250 would be a great scoot too for a new rider as well. They're cheap, plentiful, just right in the power and ergonomics department, and are easy to ride.
Quote:
Probably the most common cheap starter is the 250 Ninja.
That's the one bike I immediately discounted. I figured with a 15 year old on a crotch rocket, my insurance agent would just bend me over without lube.

I'll take a look the the others mentioned, especially the DS bikes. I know I'm paying next to nothing for insurance, so hopefully his won't be too bad either.

Are there any DS bikes known for low seat height? He's a few inches shorter than me, so I'm guessing he's got a 27-28 inch inseam.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #40659
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
My son recently turned 15 1/2 and is asking about upgrading from a moped to a motorcycle. Do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap, reliable, used bike that won't be painful to insure?

A Super Tenere would be good. Blue of course.

-Cheap compared to a Beemer
-Didn't break down yet
-Good luck finding a used one
-Insurance is not bad

Late to the party here.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #40660
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
...any thoughts are appreciated on a 50/50 tire.
I agree with Buildit on the Shinko 244. It's an inexpensive tire that will do fine on the road, and they make it in many sizes. Iron Pony has them, but not as cheap as you will find online.

If you do buy them, don't let Iron Pony put them on. Bring them up to Lewis Center and I'll swap them for you.

Also, try Tires Unlimited in Dayton if you strike out at Iron Pony.

Your front is - 110/70-17
Your rear is - 130/70-17

-Shawn

....Don't get complacent!
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #40661
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,414
I think the biggest issue you will have on gravel or offroad with the M is the 17" front, it will make going over obstacles harder than if it had a 21" front and will feel more wierd in loose stuff.

Re: tires

I really am not in love with the Shinko 244, but I acknowledge it is a decent, cheap tire.

For pavement with a bit of gravel, I like the Shinko 705. I've run these through several sets on the Stroms now. Rear lives about 7000 miles. Not great in mud.

For 50/50 use I like the Cheng Shin 858, which is a lot like the Shinko 244. For $100 a set, installed, you can't go wrong. Rear lives about 3500 miles on a big displacement thumper. Not great in mud.

For off road / gravel with a bit of pavement, I like the Kenda Trakmaster II. Rear lives about 2000 miles on a big displacement thumper. Good in mud.

I'm thinking about trying the Kenda Big Block dual sport tires on the DR next.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #40662
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
...I like the Shinko 705...For 50/50 use I like the Cheng Shin 858...For off road / gravel with a bit of pavement, I like the Kenda Trakmaster II...I'm thinking about trying the Kenda Big Block dual sport tires on the DR next.
I think the 244's are going to be one of the few with the correct tire sizes for her. Also you may want to buy up as many 858's as you can, as I heard they were now gone too! The Kenda Big Blocks are a very stiff tire, which works well with the heavy bikes, but we are experiencing around 2500-3000 miles out of them. They don't quite handle as good as TKC's on the tarmac, but totally sufficient. Signs are: Rear knob wear and front brake cupping. I beat the shit out of a set with two trips to the rock infested playground called PA. I may keep buying them since I use tubeless, but if I were putting tubes under these things, I would definitely go with something else.

....Don't get complacent!
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #40663
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
(looking for guidance if not obvious)

Dirt or dual sport tires are not common in the size wheels that are on the 230M.

That said, I think IRC GP1s will work and are in the right sizes. GP1s are sort of an old school looking D/P tire. They will still work on the street, but will be much much better off-road than what you have now.

530 X17 for the rear & 350 X17 for the front.

The rear size is much easier to find, the front is the challenge.

The original, supermoto style tires on your 230M are low profile. Everything I can find that leans toward the dirt side is going to be taller profile. This might make the bike an inch taller. I assume you will have the clearance for taller tires, but it will need to be checked.

I think you will able to find the rear tire in stock at Iron Pony, but I'm fairly certain you will need to order the front.

IRCs are not cheap. They are a good, older brand made in Japan. I have used them for years with good success. I have them on one of my bikes right now.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #40664
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
A Super Tenere would be good. Blue of course.

-Cheap compared to a Beemer
-Didn't break down yet
-Good luck finding a used one
-Insurance is not bad

Late to the party here.

That wouldn't work. I was riding with a Super Ten on Sunday. It couldn't keep up.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #40665
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Speaking of tires, if anyone wants a rear MT21 (130/90-17) for their KLR, I have a used one free. It has about 1/4 inch left in the center and big chicken strips on the side. Serious though, it would make a "just good enough" tire for someone to use for a off road ride if they had a street tire on their bike now. I can bring it to the ride Sunday or you can pick it up just about anytime.
2006 KLR650