ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #40666
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
...I like the Shinko 705...For 50/50 use I like the Cheng Shin 858...For off road / gravel with a bit of pavement, I like the Kenda Trakmaster II...I'm thinking about trying the Kenda Big Block dual sport tires on the DR next.
I think the 244's are going to be one of the few with the correct tire sizes for her. Also you may want to buy up as many 858's as you can, as I heard they were now gone too! The Kenda Big Blocks are a very stiff tire, which works well with the heavy bikes, but we are experiencing around 2500-3000 miles out of them. They don't quite handle as good as TKC's on the tarmac, but totally sufficient. Signs are: Rear knob wear and front brake cupping. I beat the shit out of a set with two trips to the rock infested playground called PA. I may keep buying them since I use tubeless, but if I were putting tubes under these things, I would definitely go with something else.

....Don't get complacent!
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #40667
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
(looking for guidance if not obvious)

Dirt or dual sport tires are not common in the size wheels that are on the 230M.

That said, I think IRC GP1s will work and are in the right sizes. GP1s are sort of an old school looking D/P tire. They will still work on the street, but will be much much better off-road than what you have now.

530 X17 for the rear & 350 X17 for the front.

The rear size is much easier to find, the front is the challenge.

The original, supermoto style tires on your 230M are low profile. Everything I can find that leans toward the dirt side is going to be taller profile. This might make the bike an inch taller. I assume you will have the clearance for taller tires, but it will need to be checked.

I think you will able to find the rear tire in stock at Iron Pony, but I'm fairly certain you will need to order the front.

IRCs are not cheap. They are a good, older brand made in Japan. I have used them for years with good success. I have them on one of my bikes right now.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #40668
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
A Super Tenere would be good. Blue of course.

-Cheap compared to a Beemer
-Didn't break down yet
-Good luck finding a used one
-Insurance is not bad

Late to the party here.

That wouldn't work. I was riding with a Super Ten on Sunday. It couldn't keep up.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #40669
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,754
Speaking of tires, if anyone wants a rear MT21 (130/90-17) for their KLR, I have a used one free. It has about 1/4 inch left in the center and big chicken strips on the side. Serious though, it would make a "just good enough" tire for someone to use for a off road ride if they had a street tire on their bike now. I can bring it to the ride Sunday or you can pick it up just about anytime.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #40670
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Are there any DS bikes known for low seat height? He's a few inches shorter than me, so I'm guessing he's got a 27-28 inch inseam.
The old XT225 and 250 has a very low seat height and can often be found at very good prices. My X's 225 would carry me around at 55mph comfortably and max out about 70 by GPS. I doubt the guy I sold it to is ready to part with it yet but I could ask.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #40671
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
That wouldn't work. I was riding with a Super Ten on Sunday. It couldn't keep up.

That is a user problem or was a Black S10. Did they have a broken wrist? Twist that throttle!

My Tenere can go so fast that people call the Sheriff on it, right Shawn?

EJ
Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #40672
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
That is a user problem or was a Black S10. Did they have a broken wrist? Twist that throttle!

My Tenere can go so fast that people call the Sheriff on it, right Shawn?

EJ

You talking up Dox on another bike already.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #40673
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
Everybody knows that the red bikes are the fastest ones !!! That`s why my KLR is red and my GS is red and my big fat ass is red......and I hate what ever color your bike is.....what color is it again? Guess I`ll have to show up Sunday in all my "RED" glory.........I mean
You know what's really funny? I just realized I'm wearing a red shirt today
I'm not saying I don't like others in red, I just don't pull the color off well. (I'm an artist so stupid crap like that matters to me. Sorry if I offended, not my intent.) And as referenced previously, the bike is also a full inch shorter which makes me a happy RFS chick. The intent is to ride it as is til I'm ok on tippy toes (or realistically one foot down) on big wheels.
If I end up just using it as a commuter and meeting peeps places with the ttr125, I'm fine with that too til I can navigate a bigger bike. We'll just see how sunday goes...I'm prepared to laugh alot.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #40674
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
I agree with Buildit on the Shinko 244. It's an inexpensive tire that will do fine on the road, and they make it in many sizes. Iron Pony has them, but not as cheap as you will find online.

If you do buy them, don't let Iron Pony put them on. Bring them up to Lewis Center and I'll swap them for you.

Also, try Tires Unlimited in Dayton if you strike out at Iron Pony.

Your front is - 110/70-17
Your rear is - 130/70-17

-Shawn
Shawn, you just became my new best friend. Want to help get them on my TTR125? I think it's time for new ones...
Attached Images

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #40675
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
My son recently turned 15 1/2 and is asking about upgrading from a moped to a motorcycle. Do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap, reliable, used bike that won't be painful to insure?

How about a used WR250X? there is one on ebay in ohio. If you are going to keep your 250R seems like having the 250X would be cool. Plus the sapre parts ( oil fiter air filter, chain, sprockets ) all that kinda stuff will work on both bikes. If you go for a long ride together you only need to carry parts for one bike. Buy a 21 inch front wheel for dirt and you can both play off road. You can get the yamaha link and lower it also.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #40676
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
I agree with Buildit on the Shinko 244. It's an inexpensive tire that will do fine on the road, and they make it in many sizes. Iron Pony has them, but not as cheap as you will find online.

If you do buy them, don't let Iron Pony put them on. Bring them up to Lewis Center and I'll swap them for you.

Also, try Tires Unlimited in Dayton if you strike out at Iron Pony.

Your front is - 110/70-17
Your rear is - 130/70-17

-Shawn

Problem is dirt tires are not available in those sizes....

Please read my other post about this. Read it again.....it is accurate.

Trust me, you are not going to find a Shinko dirt/or DP front in that size.....I promise.

You will find a Shinko rear that is taller & should work.....dirt tires are not made in those low profile sizes.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #40677
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Ouch... it was the nut holding the bars that had a problem!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #40678
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
You talking up Dox on another bike already.
We may or may not have an agreement drawn out.

I've bought so many I can't keep up. Only this week did I get around to changing the title over on the last one I picked up
Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #40679
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
There are a few pure dirt tires made in 17" fronts 100/70-17. Michelin and Dunlop and a few others pop up,but I don't know about any 50/50 tires. I think Maxxis makes a dirt track tire in 17" ,front and rears are the same tread just different widths, that would work ,but not in deep mud.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #40680
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,582
offended ?????? me???????? noway !!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
You know what's really funny? I just realized I'm wearing a red shirt today
I'm not saying I don't like others in red, I just don't pull the color off well. (I'm an artist so stupid crap like that matters to me. Sorry if I offended, not my intent.) And as referenced previously, the bike is also a full inch shorter which makes me a happy RFS chick. The intent is to ride it as is til I'm ok on tippy toes (or realistically one foot down) on big wheels.
If I end up just using it as a commuter and meeting peeps places with the ttr125, I'm fine with that too til I can navigate a bigger bike. We'll just see how sunday goes...I'm prepared to laugh alot.
It`s OK....you couldn`t offend me if you tried.....many have tried and failed