ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #40756
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny_Taggart View Post
Lovely pictures, pretty bike.
Why thank ya!
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #40757
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,025
I think this company could be a possible hit with the Central Ohio Adv crowd.

Who else would be interested in bulletproof riding gear?

http://www.miguelcaballero.com/cms/f...s_english.html

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #40758
cannonrider
Backroad Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Question Fall Lake Ride

Anyone interested in a ride on Sat. Oct.29th? It will have a little of everthing (gravel,backroads & twisties)We will pass by Peidmont ,Clendening, Tappan and maybe Leesville & Attwood Lakes.Alot of nice scenery and good roads .We will be leaving from Morristown (I-70 Exit 208)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #40759
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
I have come to the saddening conclusion that I will probably not be getting another bike. I will certainly be functionally able to ride (I could do it now) but I have been weighing the pros and cons.
Pros:
I love to ride and especially so with longer camping rides
It's both exhilarating and relaxing
I learn a lot wrenching on the bike b/c I'm too cheap to pay a mechanic for most things

Cons:
Further damaging my left foot in a wreck could mean losing the foot
Losing the foot could mean disability retirement and a severe change of my lifestyle
Before the shooting I more or less had to make myself go ride- I like it but I'm not addicted to it
My wife would worry sick every time I go out (I'm not whipped- I just care how she feels)
This one sounds decidedly bromantic but with MeefZah moving hours away I will be without the one person I do most riding with. It's odd- I'm antisocial in most aspects of life but I prefer to ride in a group.

In the end the cost:risk:enjoyment ratios don't line up. I can spend a lot less money playing poker a few times a month and get there in an air-bagged cage.

On the bright side of all this, I'm still open to some sort of trike bike in the unknown future. Not only will this get me out with the wind in my face again, my wife will willingly join despite her consuming fear of two-wheeled bikes. It's the stability factor.

The invite is always open for using my place as a camping jump-off point for any future Knox-area group ride. If I'm not around the forum, Whitey and Meef have my number.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #40760
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
I have come to the saddening conclusion that I will probably not be getting another bike. I will certainly be functionally able to ride (I could do it now) but I have been weighing the pros and cons.
Pros:
I love to ride and especially so with longer camping rides
It's both exhilarating and relaxing
I learn a lot wrenching on the bike b/c I'm too cheap to pay a mechanic for most things

Cons:
Further damaging my left foot in a wreck could mean losing the foot
Losing the foot could mean disability retirement and a severe change of my lifestyle
Before the shooting I more or less had to make myself go ride- I like it but I'm not addicted to it
My wife would worry sick every time I go out (I'm not whipped- I just care how she feels)
This one sounds decidedly bromantic but with MeefZah moving hours away I will be without the one person I do most riding with. It's odd- I'm antisocial in most aspects of life but I prefer to ride in a group.

In the end the cost:risk:enjoyment ratios don't line up. I can spend a lot less money playing poker a few times a month and get there in an air-bagged cage.

On the bright side of all this, I'm still open to some sort of trike bike in the unknown future. Not only will this get me out with the wind in my face again, my wife will willingly join despite her consuming fear of two-wheeled bikes. It's the stability factor.

The invite is always open for using my place as a camping jump-off point for any future Knox-area group ride. If I'm not around the forum, Whitey and Meef have my number.
Very understandable, given your situation and there's nothing wrong with weighing the risks and deciding better of it.

Good luck in all ya do!

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #40761
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Very understandable, given your situation and there's nothing wrong with weighing the risks and deciding better of it.

Good luck in all ya do!
+1 I had the same mental discussion after my accident. Biggest difference was with four bikes in the garage I had temptation to help me get back on. Now I'm glad I did because it has served as my inspiration to keep working out. The more fit I am the better I ride, the better I ride the more fit I wanna become.
If I can say after the bike with the grenade mirrors, you'd rock a Ural like this.

OR

2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 09:54 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #40762
swingset
Got the knack.

Speaking of fitness and riding, I've turned a corner too and am parting with my TTR...giving up the dirt for a while, at least the motorcycle variety. It's been brewing up anyway, just a growing dissatisfaction with offroading. I love riding, but there's more dragging the sled up the hill than going down it lately. I barely rode the bike this year, and I want a new challenge.

Getting in shape this year opened up the possibility to do some mountain biking and I'm going to give that a good try instead. So if anyone is interested in the blue tractor, it's in the flea market...good price to a friend.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #40763
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2014

Oddometer: 812
Sparkster, We support your decision and you are welcome here anytime regardless of what is in or is not in your garage. Once an inmate, .....

And if you get a URAL, I want a ride!

May your healing accelerate,

LIsa.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #40764
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Getting in shape this year opened up the possibility to do some mountain biking and I'm going to give that a good try instead.
Let's mt bike at Dillon Saturday. I've been wanting to go since my accident but haven't. I need to show someone the trails rather than balls to the wall. I'm out of shape and have turned into a big pussy so it might not be worth your time.

Spark, I'm not even in your league but I hear you loud and clear.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 AM   #40765
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Let's mt bike at Dillon Saturday. I've been wanting to go since my accident but haven't. I need to show someone the trails rather than balls to the wall. I'm out of shape and have turned into a big pussy so it might not be worth your time.
Would love to, but I don't have a serviceable bike yet. My new hybrid is a road bike with flat bars, it'd last about 10 minutes at Dillon. I think the rims are made out of baby seal bones or something equally durable, and the tires are 100% road. I have an old Walgoose in parts, but it's not worth the money or effort to fix.

I'm going shopping for a bike this weekend, the sale of the TTR will help to fund it hopefully.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #40766
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,698
Jeebus, the question mark in the title of this thread is more relevant then EVER!

What's next, quads?!?

edit:
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #40767
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,698
Hey Swing, if you don't get the TTR sold in short order, consider buying some ice screws and coming out to play this winter.

Ask solace, it's some really fun riding.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #40768
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Wow......I move to town & everyone quits riding or moves away.

Sparkster. I think I live pretty close by. I have a really mild trail around my property & a trail 90 & KE100 that you can make some laps on whenever you want. I'll let you even work on them. We can tell your wife you are coming over to play poker.

SCQTT screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 05:59 AM
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #40769
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Wow......I move to town & everyone quits riding or moves away.

Sparkster. I think I live pretty close by. I have a really mild trial around my property & a trail 90 & KE100 that you can make some laps on whenever you want. I'll let you even work on them. We can tell your wife you are coming over to play poker.
Thanks
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #40770
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Athens dual sport Sunday OCT 23

Anyone doing this?

http://www.athensmotorcycleclub.com/id92.html

I probably have room for one more "regular" bike in the truck.

Wheels up at 5:30 or so from Sparta OH Sun morning. Can stop and get someone on the way.