ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #40846
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Aw c'mon Mike, have a litte respect here ... it should be "so long that your SUPER tenere is starting to turn blue ... "

Heh,
M
And the monkey say's, it's better when it get totally black and falls off.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #40847
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Vivid Tatas and I just took a 800-ish mile two day trip to Ohiopyle, PA; and nearby portions of WV and MD.

Not real sure what the helicopter was up to... it had what looked like 3 huge bags dangling from the cable, and it was dropping them into a wooded area and moving around a little, then flying off with the load still attached to the cable. Marking trees? Breaking them off? No clue...

MeefZah, It looks like Helicopter Seismic Operations It's called "Bag Running" It's a utility thing, Long Long Hours.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #40848
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
+1

If the mood ever crosses your mind, you are always welcome to take a back road cruise on the klr. Bikes may have introduced us, but isn't the only thing was important between us. One of these nights I will have to let you win some of my money at the card table.

My next poker game is Saturday at 6:30. If you want to come its $6 per game; 5 for buy in and 1for the bounty. Snacks provided, bring a beverage of choice. That goes for any ADV'er that wants to play. If interested PM me for address.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #40849
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
My next poker game is Saturday at 6:30. If you want to come its $6 per game; 5 for buy in and 1for the bounty. Snacks provided, bring a beverage of choice. That goes for any ADV'er that wants to play. If interested PM me for address.
My 10 year anniversary is this Saturday so I am out. Hopefully I can get to the next one.

BTW, I missed telling you bye after breakfast. I went out to grab a smoke and missed your exit.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #40850
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
MeefZah, It looks like Helicopter Seismic Operations It's called "Bag Running" It's a utility thing, Long Long Hours.
That seems right, I talked to some oil/gas guys today and they were talking about seismic testing. The bags looked like sand bags, and they were just pounding a spot, the helicopter was jumping around, it looked wicked dangerous.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #40851
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
Easy guys.
That dude was a friend of mine. I hear that his wife of 40+ years had just left him. No excuse for his actions, but he was genuinely a nice guy. Misunderstood.
Sorry to hear about the whole situation Kory. Everyone they've interviewed basically said that he was a nice guy, just a little different. Sucks when a friend decides to apply a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #40852
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
Hmm, thanks. So what exactly does pounding the ground with the weights accomplish? They checking the "hollowness" of the ground thinking different reverberations might equal oil, or what? I'm really curious.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #40853
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,076
Quote:
His criminal record as relayed by the T/R speaks otherwise. 366 days in prison for firearms violations, 11 misdemeanor charges involving cruelty to animals or abandonment over the past 7 years, and then of course the setting loose of his entire "collection" to cause mayhem right before he killed himself.

I don't know the guy... but he kinda sounds like an asshole.

And, for what it's worth, from a general standpoint, every media account that features interviews with a suspect's friends and family always has those people describing him as a great guy, total shock to them that he (insert heinous crime here), never would have believed it in a million years, yadda yadda yadda. Bullshit. Writing is always on the wall, sounds like in this guys case it has been on the wall for a while. Eccentric / misunderstood guy who collected bears, lions, and machine guns. Yeah, I never woulda seen that coming.
Yeah well I don't really respect your opinion anyway.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #40854
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Hmm, thanks. So what exactly does pounding the ground with the weights accomplish? They checking the "hollowness" of the ground thinking different reverberations might equal oil, or what? I'm really curious.
Ground penetrating radar maybe? My totally untrained, uninformed guess would be you can hit areas with the weights inaccessible and more efficiently than dragging around a GPR unit....but if my guess is right I wonder what kind of sensor picks up the booming?

Anyway, interested to find out.

fwiw, kinda agree about animal guy...I think you can like someone, know them personally, and see good in them but that doesn't excuse the undercurrent of fucked up someone is. The fucked up is there, whether or not they're likable or not.

Speaking of which, I might be a little fucked up too..but not crazy animal fucked up....but I do have a thing for machine guns.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #40855
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Ground penetrating radar maybe? My totally untrained, uninformed guess would be you can hit areas with the weights inaccessible and more efficiently than dragging around a GPR unit....but if my guess is right I wonder what kind of sensor picks up the booming?

Anyway, interested to find out.

fwiw, kinda agree about animal guy...I think you can like someone, know them personally, and see good in them but that doesn't excuse the undercurrent of fucked up someone is. The fucked up is there, whether or not they're likable or not.

Speaking of which, I might be a little fucked up too..but not crazy animal fucked up....but I do have a thing for machine guns.
Just for the record... I see it coming. I have no idea what, but it is coming. You have way too many "guys you can't hang with".

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #40856
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2014

Oddometer: 812
Helicopter PIlot perspective on seismic thumping

More information than I want to know...

tum.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #40857
MotoMusicMark
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb Not a thumper

Tim,

Great thread you started!

I don't have a thumper for sale or any parts but I DO have a loaded 2004 Triumph Tiger up for grabs! I'm new to this site and was told they have a classifieds section. If I find it I'll post it.

Pass the word on and have those interested give me a call or drop a line. 330-377-4387 Mark Brinkhaven, OH
MotoMusicMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #40858
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Some pics mostly from or related to Monday and Tuesday;

My other bike, up in Quebec on the Route Verte;

Old 10-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #40859
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Up on the Divide, Deal PA;
Old 10-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #40860
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Bill's Place, Little Orleans MD, Bill was playing poker when Mark and I were there, and they don't play nickle/dime/quarter, Bill is a legend on the C&O.

Five flats in one afternoon, near Baie St. Paul, Quebec