ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #40861
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post

Five flats in one afternoon, near Baie St. Paul, Quebec
Holy cow! That has to be discouraging!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #40862
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Meef at Bills

and someplace in PA

Edited for content

Where Meef put his hand

Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #40863
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

Kirk got more air time

Everyone had big fun

Later,
M
Now that does look like fun. Sunday I had the pleasure of getting to ride a few different bikes including my old TE410, 450XCF Six Days, 570 Husaburg and a vintage IT490 air hammer. It was fun racing the kids around the track on that old blubbering pig. Even though the beast had been fully restored with tight bearings and such, you could still tell the technology and design is fully dated. Anf to think, at one time that beast was state of the art technology.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #40864
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Holy cow! That has to be discouraging!
I was probably saying something to my bike like, "Vous avez le corps d'un chien et le QI d'une durée de cinq ans."
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #40865
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
My 10 year anniversary is this Saturday so I am out. Hopefully I can get to the next one.

BTW, I missed telling you bye after breakfast. I went out to grab a smoke and missed your exit.
bye.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #40866
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Yeah well I don't really respect your opinion anyway.
This saddens me immensely.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #40867
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
Tim,

Great thread you started!

I don't have a thumper for sale or any parts but I DO have a loaded 2004 Triumph Tiger up for grabs! I'm new to this site and was told they have a classifieds section. If I find it I'll post it.

Pass the word on and have those interested give me a call or drop a line. 330-377-4387 Mark Brinkhaven, OH
Another poster doing the Doc Brown in 2003!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #40868
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,034
Much like Dragoon said...
Terry was a friend of mine. He was a good guy, but he just lived life by his own rules. Fast rules. Airplanes, helicopters, motorcycles, race cars, guitars, guns, etc. He still holds a world record from his drag boat racing days. He had his own Harley shop for years back when it wasn't popular to be a "biker".
He bought a KTM 520 a few years ago and tried to get back into trail riding with us. He even brought some smaller cats down do our Dual Sport ride last year and walked them around on a leash. If you asked Terry to borrow $100, he'd have given you $200. That's just how he was.
He's handed me and my daughter 6 week old lion and tiger cubs that were born at his place. I'll never forget that stuff. Going to his place was generally an exercise in intestinal fortitude.
He was largely a misunderstood individual. I'm sure that his time in Vietnam contributed to that. He had just emerged from time served in the lock-up from a questionable weapons charge, ( no warrant, and no probable cause for search and seizure) to find that his wife of 40+ years had cut bait. I'm sure that he felt hopeless. No excuse for what he did, but I can see how it developed. . He lived life at a level that many of us will never experience.
I'll miss him. A lot.

And, yes, Zanesville has lost some of it's spice with T gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
I was trying to explain Terry to my wife yesterday. Always on the police radar from back in the T's Harley Davidson days, maybe before but that's when I knew got to know him. Always a nice guy that didn't give much of a fuck. Did he break some rules? Probably but never as big a deal as people made it out to be IMHO. Was he crazy? Like a fox. Everybody has a few TT stories. I'm fairly certain that the police officers here won't see Terry in the same light as I did

Korey, I just learned the other day that Tom Roberts died. Zanesville is going to be like every other boring town with out our colorful people
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #40869
guernsey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Thanks for the memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Vivid Tatas and I just took a 800-ish mile two day trip to Ohiopyle, PA; and nearby portions of WV and MD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
Some pics mostly from or related to Monday and Tuesday;
Last year I rode the C&O with vivid & crew.
Rode through that tunnel.
Had a beer (or 3) at Bill's.
Stopped to enjoy those falls.
Good times!

I see there are other cyclists on here. I'd be up for doing it again sometime next spring.
guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #40870
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Hot off the trail cam

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #40871
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
I'm sure that his time in Vietnam contributed to that.
I don't know what he did over there, but the reporter on the radio said "The combat life expectancy of his mosc was measured in minutes, and he did three tours."
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #40872
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Okay, for six years now I've been told by the best riders I know about how weight DOES effect the ability of a tire to hook up. The more weight the less air pressure in theory you need to drop. Anyone else wanna confirm this for me?

If so maybe you can explain it to these guys ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733866

So far they are trying to tell me a Shinko 244 is the same as an Avon Gripster and that the rear on my 950 should be at 10psi off road. Granted I have a rim lock on the tire but 16 psi under roughly 700 lbs of bike and man meat should be enough. Right?

Larry, Rob, Tom, Shawn, Corey, or any other enduro riders wanna sound off on this?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #40873
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Okay, for six years now I've been told by the best riders I know about how weight DOES effect the ability of a tire to hook up. The more weight the less air pressure in theory you need to drop. Anyone else wanna confirm this for me?

If so maybe you can explain it to these guys ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733866

So far they are trying to tell me a Shinko 244 is the same as an Avon Gripster and that the rear on my 950 should be at 10psi off road. Granted I have a rim lock on the tire but 16 psi under roughly 700 lbs of bike and man meat should be enough. Right?

Larry, Rob, Tom, Shawn, Corey, or any other enduro riders wanna sound off on this?

Tell them to use a good 50 weight synthetic.

Oh, wait. nevermind.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #40874
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post

So far they are trying to tell me a Shinko 244 is the same as an Avon Gripster and that the rear on my 950 should be at 10psi off road.
First statement is retarded...the 244 is utterly different than a Gripster both in block pattern and in compound, sidewall thickness and so on. The 244 is a much better offroad tire, period.

Second statement is pretty limited too, 10psi on a bike that heavy on the terrain we ride is foolish. You will like bend the shit out of a rim on a bike the size of yours with that weight, when you hit a rock or something sharp with some momentum....if you're running something flexy like a 244. Might get away with it with a more stout tire, but then it's not going to benefit much from being nearly flat either except possibly in the most greasiest stuff...and marginally at that. I'd never go below 15-20 on a big bike (where you're correct, heavier weight and rider helps to maximize grip) unless I was caught in pure slop and needed to slowly paddle out of it.

In that situation, you're just better off with a 606 or Trakmaster anyway.

Gripster is an 80/20 tire, and not the best one offroad at that. I'd rather run a 705, cheaper and better in the dirt on a heavy bike IMHO.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #40875
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Okay, nice to hear I'm NOT crazy and the wind and rain didn't freeze my brain earlier today.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote