ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #41011
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceride View Post
Yeah, but at least it looks like you are smiling under the helmet!
Yep, 4 weekends in a row out riding the X Challenge on backroads. Have been having a great time so I'll be spending more time in the woods; right up until the lake freezes over and we can do some ice ridin'.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #41012
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Yep, 4 weekends in a row out riding the X Challenge on backroads. Have been having a great time so I'll be spending more time in the woods; right up until the lake freezes over and we can do some ice ridin'.

Later,
M
You can usually ride the gravel longer in the season than you can ride pavement, given the slower pace and more "work" you put into it.

Downside is once it ices for the first time, it takes a lot longer to thaw than the pavement, since it doesn't get the same treatment by the authorities as the major roads and a lot of gravel routes are under canopy, so it takes longer for the sun to thaw 'em.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #41013
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
i can go later in the week
i can usually sneak i ride i once in week in the day

great seal was dry as a bone sunday
Cool, I think we have the makings of an mtb party. And, every party needs a jester, right? Well I learned today that I'm more comic relief than serious mountain biker.

I did about 10 miles at Mohican early this afternoon, and mind you this is the first single track I've ever ridden on a mountain bike. So, the first 2 miles of hill were a learning experience in pedal stroke and gear...I was in the granny gear waaay too much and still flounder at shifting without load on the pedals, but I made it. I also rode in my road shoes, on spd's that aren't adjusted yet so coming out of the pedals was a little awkward and a few obstacles sent me tipping over like a moron. Pedal strike, cog bottoms on logs, I did it all.

It's weird, because I've been watching how to and technique videos and stuff for a month, and you can understand something 100% but doing it and putting it into practice is another animal entirely. Anticipating where I needed momentum and to pre-think gearing and pedal dismount fucked me throughout the day but I did get into a flow a few times and relaxed, which was good....didn't expect to find any comfort at first but it was a nice window into how fun it will be when I'm not a spaz.

To my amazement, I even reeled in a few riders that had left before me out of the trail head, with nicer lighter bikes and all the fancy nerd clothes. Of course, there's the strong possibility that I happened to encounter the 3 slowest doofuses in the area. A few guys blew by me like I was sitting still on the ascents too, so I sure wasn't full of myself....but I'm happy that I got 10 miles in just under 2 hours and felt pretty good at the end, a few scrapes and bruises but nothing serious.

I'm digging it, for sure, but I have a bunch to learn. I was so happy to get to mile marker 1 with the bike still rolling, I had to stop and snap a pic.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #41014
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,271
Chalk another ride up here in the NEO region. Canton area. DR650 is getting resprung over the winter to go anywhere, and the busa stays on the slab.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #41015
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Cool, I think we have the makings of an mtb party. And, every party needs a jester, right? Well I learned today that I'm more comic relief than serious mountain biker.

yadda...yadda

I'm digging it, for sure, but I have a bunch to learn. I was so happy to get to mile marker 1 with the bike still rolling, I had to stop and snap a pic.

what a waste of good motorcycling weather...are your motorcycles all broken?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #41016
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Mountain Biking

Mountain biking eh? I used to be wicked fast on the Alum Creek trails. Did well in a few races too. That was about 8 years ago though. I've been out of the loop since. I'd probably be pitiful now... but I'd give it another go!

My bike needs some attention, but maybe I'll get it together this winter and be able to do some riding with you guys next year! Needs new brake pads and brake fluid... but I believe that's it.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #41017
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,979
Quote:

Looks like fun, wish I'd known you were going to do that, I might have come and given you someone to laugh at.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #41018
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
what a waste of good motorcycling weather...are your motorcycles all broken?
I rode to work on the Vee, I couldn't let it feel the pain of neglect.

I have to fab a bike mount for the back of it, so I can work both in on some rides.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #41019
somecallmetim OP
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Cool, I think we have the makings of an mtb party.

If you made it to MM1 wthout stopping the first time out you are doing great.

The weather is looking so-so this saturday...

Saturday: More clouds than sun. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the mid 30s. 10% chance of rain.

... but I have the day free & the local pizza joint , Trails End, has Guinness on tap for much needed post ride rehydration...
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #41020
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
If you made it to MM1 wthout stopping the first time out you are doing great.
Does falling over count as a stop?

I biffed on the first switchback, rolled down the embankment like a moron, but other than that got to the first mile with no issues. I was death-gripping and tense as hell, nerves I guess, and probably spent 90% of my energy on the first mile but after that it wasn't too terrible. That semi-steep ascent around mile 3.5 full of rocks was a fucker. I got about 2/3's before stalling and had to walk it up.

The downhills were a blast tho!

I'm out for Saturday I have to do some OT but Sunday I'm gonna ride somewhere, somehow. I think temps in the low 50's and dry.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #41021
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
I have to fab a bike mount for the back of it, so I can work both in on some rides.
This months issue of MC Tour and Travel has an ad for a MC bike carrier. It's a smaller, maybe quarter page ad, and I already threw the issue out so I can't look it up for you. Depicts a bike on the back of a HD and says they have multiple mounts for different bikes.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #41022
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
That semi-steep ascent around mile 3.5 full of rocks was a fucker. I got about 2/3's before stalling and had to walk it up.
I rode that on a loaner bike and made it about 50' before I had to walk, I felt like the biggest pogue alive. That shit is tough, ergo, it isn't for me.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #41023
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:

I did about 10 miles at Mohican early this afternoon...

My favorite place to ride. Was hoping to meet Tim down there some day so if any of you are planning a ride, let me know, I need to get back to training for next year's Mohican 100

Quote:

Have bike(s) will travel...

btw, my friend Steve T won the race at the state park a few weeks ago. They started at the campground behind the Marathon station, had a trail to and from the state park. He finished 26+ miles in 1:56:39, flat out demoralizing!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #41024
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Chalk another ride up here in the NEO region. Canton area. DR650 is getting resprung over the winter to go anywhere, and the busa stays on the slab.

I'm 10 miles west of you

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #41025
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 921
Super Tenere Final Drive Failure

Now, I have your attention.

So, on my way home from a friends house down the road, I hear a strange noise. Sort of a grinding, hissing noise. Patterned with the brake a little. Then, not with the brake. Weird.

So, into the garage it goes. Drive line has a noticeable grinding sound, lite, not too horrible sounding, when the wheel is moved backwards.

Thoughts of scheduling for service came to mind, warranty and all. No trailer. Far away. So, I said "Forget It". I tore into the back end. Wheel came off, drive pumpkin (ha, Halloween is near) came off. What do we see:

Not too much yet. Little dirty.

What do we have here:
(look close)

Yeah. A Rock. A Forgeting Rock. Look back to the first picture. See the missing rubber plug on the right hand side of the swingarm? Yeah. Willis Creek or Eagles Nest State Park are to blame.

This little bugger:

So, threw it all back together, went for a test ride, all is well.

Sorry to get the BMW folks all excited.

EJV screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 09:28 PM
EJV is offline   Reply With Quote