ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #41176
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
2011 Headless Holligan ride video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79VXmezBGYQ
Nice video! I figured the only stuff you'd have of me was throwing a stick to the dogs or following me with my turn signal on...(sorry 'bout that Jason, that had to be annoying as hell.) next time I'll just turn.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #41177
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
Nice video! I figured the only stuff you'd have of me was throwing a stick to the dogs or following me with my turn signal on...(sorry 'bout that Jason, that had to be annoying as hell.) next time I'll just turn.
Thanks, there was a ton of useless video because I had the camera aimed too low. Like the ride by that featured a bunch of headless riders going by.

We all forget to turn off the turn signals, I was just trying to be nice. Really IMHO the only people in an off road group ride who should use their signals are the first and last riders. In congested areas it is obviously more important so cages know you are ALL turning.
Oh and it was nice to finally meet you.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #41178
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
ArmyJoe,

Great pics!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #41179
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

ETA, yeah I did break something...my rear wheel is way the hell out of true now. Gonna need some love, probably machine built and in desperate need of spoke prep and a proper tension.
I think I'm 2 inches shorter from hitting that tree with my head

Any bike shop should be able to fix it or give it to me to give to Heath to fix. Shop may be quicker.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #41180
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
Crow canyon was cool and painful ,but I survived...

You'd had more fun if your bike was running properly. Your bike has a massive lean spot at idle that is causing it to be erratic when idling and has no power at the initial throttle opening. All I had to do is ride once, it was no wonder you had so much trouble. You need to look for one or more of the following...

Fuel screw, plugged or out of adjustment? Most bikes have the screw set at 1.5 turns from closed.

Pilot Jet, Plugged or too small. Most off-road (non-mx) bikes are leaner than Allie McBeall

Air leak between the carb and cylinder.

You can see if it's an air leak by getting it warmed up and spraying some starting fluid arond the intake parts without blowing yourself up. If there is a leak, the bike should surge or even slow if the fluids temporarily plug the offending leak.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #41181
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

You can see if it's an air leak by getting it warmed up and spraying some starting fluid arond the intake parts without blowing yourself up. If there is a leak, the bike should surge or even slow if the fluids temporarily plug the offending leak.
I would recommend WD-40. It saves on the eyebrows. You will still notice a change in idle if it is pulling air in around an area.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #41182
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
ArmyJoe,

Great pics!
Thanks! I normally carry a digital SLR when I'm on the Spyder, but I'm going to go minimal on the WR250R and stick to the iPhone. It's tough to be artsy with this thing since I have no control over settings.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #41183
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
"I love you more than the wind in my face," but I still got to wear these shades. One more thing and I'm starting a Zanesville, WTF? thread.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #41184
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
the good news:

My Steelers defeated the Patriots today by a score of 25-17!

I drank a six of Yuengling while eating wings and watching said game.

My XR250R, otherwise known as Dora, ran today, for the first time in 6 or 8 weeks.

the bad news:

Looks I'm gonna have to put some more money into Dora, as her clutch seems to be pretty much gone. The friction plates had a little life left in them (say 1 or 2 32nds) but upon reassembly, I had to adjust the cable all the way out to get any kind of action at the lever...

I was looking at some clutches on ebay and saw one that said something about it being "race-ready, no need for pre-soaking". Does that mean I should have soaked the friction plates in oil or something? Or did I just do something wrong when I put her back together? As it is right now, the clutch will not hold the bike back while in gear and there's not much action at the lever, but it will let me shift.

thoughts/opinions/advice?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #41185
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Wet clutch .....
2006 KLR650
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #41186
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
You'd had more fun if your bike was running properly. You need to look for one or more of the following...

Fuel screw, plugged or out of adjustment? Most bikes have the screw set at 1.5 turns from closed.

Pilot Jet, Plugged or too small. Most off-road (non-mx) bikes are leaner than Allie McBeall

I need to change the oil this week.So I'll look for any other issues.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #41187
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Wet clutch .....
right, I knew that...but since I've never changed a clutch I dont know what to expect...will it get better once the oil works its way into it? or do I need to pull the cover off and do something?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #41188
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Next Saturday I am thinking of doing a get together / garage day / ride for the western Ohio people. If the weather stays nice we can meet up in Plain city at the Mc Donnalds at the corner of 161 and rt 42 at 10am. From there we'll ride the abandoned RR bed towards Urbana. The RR bed is an easy ride with ony a few challenging areas where the gravel gets very deep and washes out easily. There are go arounds for these areas since the RR bed parallels the road. After wards we can head back to my place and hang around the garage to chat, help with maintenance needs, or if the yard is dry play around practicing log crossings, controlled riding or whatever.
I'll pick up some hot dogs and buns to cook on the grill, some soda pop and snacks. Anyone who doesn't want to do the before ride PM me and I'll get you directions so we can meet up after the ride.

Since it's an end of the season event if the weather looks better for Sunday we'll kick it back a day to avoid rain if needed. Questions or suggestions?
2006 KLR650
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #41189
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
right, I knew that...but since I've never changed a clutch I dont know what to expect...will it get better once the oil works its way into it? or do I need to pull the cover off and do something?
That I don't know. However, it would seem that oil would penetrate the clutch plates in time. I do know the one time I did them on the KLR I was told to presoak the plates. I don't know if you can just pour oil over them thru the fill hole at accomplish this.
2006 KLR650
Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #41190
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post

Looks I'm gonna have to put some more money into Dora, as her clutch seems to be pretty much gone. The friction plates had a little life left in them (say 1 or 2 32nds) but upon reassembly, I had to adjust the cable all the way out to get any kind of action at the lever...

If it worked before you took it apart, it should work now unless something is out of sorts inside such you put a steel plate 1st instead of fiber (or which ever goes 1st in that motor)? Do the fiber plate tabs line up with the wear marks in the basket? Is the pressure plate seated properly? Some clutch baskets are "timed" with the pressure plate, check that too.

Also, adjust at the cases 1st, then the lever.

I wouldn't put a high dollar clutch in that bike unless you decide to put a big bore kit in it. I had 3 seasons of racing on my stock clutch and never touched it.

btw, if the wear marks are deep, they will cause a clutch to slip, file them flat.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote