ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #41251
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Interesting how the brand loyalty has played into the individual suggestions.

So just to be different, get a Husky!
Of course it does. I can't recommend what I haven't spent time on.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #41252
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I already have a big bike, so while a 650 will surely do what I want, it's not really what I'm after. It also helps that I weigh in at less than 150 pounds fully geared up and ready to ride. I've been researching as much as I can, and did find some great info on the thing. Im quite convinced of Its travel ability since i*Learned Happy trails sells a*Pannier kit for the thing! (which I would not get, just saying...)*
I love just about everything the guy's done to his over at*yamahawr250r.com
I'd add a 4 gallon tank and be good to go!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #41253
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I already have a big bike, so while a 650 will surely do what I want, it's not really what I'm after. It also helps that I weigh in at less than 150 pounds fully geared up and ready to ride. I've been researching as much as I can, and did find some great info on the thing. Im quite convinced of Its travel ability since i*Learned Happy trails sells a*Pannier kit for the thing! (which I would not get, just saying...)*
I love just about everything the guy's done to his over at*yamahawr250r.com
I'd add a 4 gallon tank and be good to go!
Being light means the biking world is your oyster, seriously. A 250 will move your frame just fine, but you can also ride a KLR if you want. The best part is pretty much everything you'll buy is sprung from the factory for someone with your weight.

There are a lot of bikes that will do what you want, just gotta go check 'em all out.

Don't forget the KLX250S either...Meef can tell ya that's a damned versatile bike and they're cheaper than the WRR and maybe a bit more plentiful on the used bike market.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #41254
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,058
Supposed to be nice this weekend. Mt biking anyone?

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #41255
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
If I get my wheels back in time, I'm up for it.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #41256
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I love just about everything the guy's done to his over at yamahawr250r.com
I'd never seen that site before and was checking out the mods. I see from the licence plate he's from Summit County, Ohio (and has a birthday coming up next month).

Is that anyone here?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #41257
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I'd never seen that site before and was checking out the mods. I see from the licence plate he's from Summit County, Ohio (and has a birthday coming up next month).

Is that anyone here?
Good eye! I didn't catch the Ohio plate. He is on AdvRider, that's how I found the link. He has a WR250R as well as a WR250X.

...searching...

BINGO!

GotMojo?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #41258
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Id go if I had a mtn bike

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #41259
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Id go if I had a mtn bike
That's gotta be the only kind of bike you don't have.

Sup DD
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #41260
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,319
Well .... it seems some peeps have found more pastoral pursuits in search of their dirt fix, but I'd still rather have Otto and his Cycle do the work getting me up that hill.

Anyone want to do some dualsporting Sat or Sun this weekend? I know Buildit is planning to run the railroad bed out near Plain City, but I need something I bit more, well, rocky.

See, I went and upgraded the forks on the F800GS and I need to test them. I ran the railbed mentioned above this afternoon and while I think the ride was better, I really want to get out to Wills Creek. Why? Well, that's the most recent rough terrain I rode on that bike that's anywhere close to Central Ohio ... I am not riding out to State College again just to test my forks.

I wouldn't mind hitting some of the roads up near Danville, also, but I'm not real familiar with the location of some of that stuff. If someone were to join me ... or lend me their tracks, I feel I could get a real good feel for the improvements.

Oh, and if someone who really knew how to adjust forks were to tag along that would be great. I might even buy their lunch for the service.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #41261
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Well .... it seems some peeps have found more pastoral pursuits in search of their dirt fix, but I'd still rather have Otto and his Cycle do the work getting me up that hill.

Anyone want to do some dualsporting Sat or Sun this weekend? I know Buildit is planning to run the railroad bed out near Plain City, but I need something I bit more, well, rocky.

See, I went and upgraded the forks on the F800GS and I need to test them. I ran the railbed mentioned above this afternoon and while I think the ride was better, I really want to get out to Wills Creek. Why? Well, that's the most recent rough terrain I rode on that bike that's anywhere close to Central Ohio ... I am not riding out to State College again just to test my forks.

I wouldn't mind hitting some of the roads up near Danville, also, but I'm not real familiar with the location of some of that stuff. If someone were to join me ... or lend me their tracks, I feel I could get a real good feel for the improvements.

Oh, and if someone who really knew how to adjust forks were to tag along that would be great. I might even buy their lunch for the service.
Trust me, having an engine going up hills is funner than pedals, part of me thinks I'm nuts for taking up bicycles...but I'm in need of something that keeps me working out and in shape. It's actually a good compliment to offroad, I'm finding...different skill set but trails are trails.

You're welcome to my tracks from the big bike ride earlier this year...leaves out of Danville and hits a lot of gravel and back roads, includes Bat's Nest and Stone Quarry...meanders down to Coshocton and eventually down to Wills Creek (although it doesn't include the main corridor of the trails there), it goes right along side them on Wills Creek Rd. so you can just hop on there. The optional section to the east of Wills Creek is offroad, big gradual hill that's a bit like Stone Quarry.

http://www.localnumber69.com/temp/BB...A_II_Route.gpx

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #41262
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
........Wills Creek.....................

I'd do it (follow). Beat the hell out of the Tenere again. I can have the knobbies back on by then. I have no idea where to go. The GPS turns on and shows where I am.

Sat?

EJ
Old 11-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #41263
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
... See, I went and upgraded the forks on the F800GS and I need to test them. ...
I'm debating on whether I should upgrade the suspension on mine. I'd be interested in hearing what you did to the forks, and if you like it.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #41264
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,057
After hearing all of you fitness freaks talk about Mtn biking I figured I had better work on getting my ass back in shape. There was once a time when I loved riding bicycles (I was 9, lol). Seriously though, I start Chantix tomorrow to kick the cigarette habit. Knowing full well that most all quitters gain weight afterwards, I figured I will take my frustrations out by exercising. I haven't hit a gym in years and will start off by working cardio and my flexibility first and foremost. I will work into strength training in a few weeks to a month most likely. I have gained 100 lbs in the last 10 years and I know it will take a long time to come off, but I would like to get back to my fighting weight.

Not sure why I am telling you all of this, but I am excited about my health and fitness for the first time in a long, long, long time.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #41265
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Not sure why I am telling you all of this, but I am excited about my health and fitness for the first time in a long, long, long time.
Simple, because now that you told US we will keep asking how the workouts going. Go for it Adam!

As for off road, rob and I had fun doing Tar Hollow today. For the first time I have no video and no photos. Rob kept me going to fast to get either out.

Well just one photo for those who did the Rail Road Tressel with me a month or so ago. Here's the look from below.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 02:59 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote