ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #41296
somecallmetim OP
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Cool. Sunday is probably the better day for me. Swing? Dillon or is it my turn to come your way? Devil I could bring my wife's bike, it's not a bad bike and it would be a pretty good fit ( I think)

Whitey good for you
I could ride either day, I don't care where.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #41297
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
Perfect! We all can meet at 330am and ride all day!!

Just kidding. Whatever time works good. Where and when, I am good to go.

Byron / Sean / Larry - I can meet up on the way over.

EJ
Had to rebuild the rear shock on the KLR that I broke in Az.....Haven`t tested it yet and sunday might just be a good time to do it....Stay in touch.....Larry.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #41298
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
MeefZah sez:

"Go for it Whitey! I walked to work for the first time in over 2 years and it felt great. Plus I can pick up OT by arresting the drunks I walk up on in the dark. "

So does that mean you get overtime for chasing wayward cats as well? Seems that is a major problem in Xville as well
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #41299
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
So does that mean you get overtime for chasing wayward cats as well? Seems that is a major problem in Xville as well
Yeah, we are taking all kinds of ribbing for that.

Another ridonculous law that will never be enforced.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #41300
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 825
forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
You can find all the details in this thread here.

But, the executive summary is:

a) found take-offs from a 2000 Husqy WR250. These are Marzocchi Shiver 45mm USD forks ... same basic construction as the F800GS forks but with Comp and Reb adjusters.

b) Machined fork bottoms on the F800GS to accept the Comp adjuster from the Husqy forks.

c) Gave the OEM fork bottoms/tops and the Husqy cartridges to a willing suspension tuner and had him respring/revalve for the higher weight of the new bike/rider combination.

The Husqy cartridges in the BMW fork tubes will allow an increase in travel from the stock 9.05" travel on the F800GS. I don't recall the max increase but I had my guy shorten the stroke to allow for only an extra 1" of travel .... so now I have ~10" of travel up front.

I jammed the forks up the triple as far as I could to level out the bike, but I'm looking at an Ohlins rear shock with some mods to give me some more travel out back.

Hopefully I'll be able to give some feedback after this weekend.
does the 800 not have C/R adjusters from stock ?
just make sure you take some measurements stock so you end up with the same ride height F/R, its amazing what a couple mm difference makes in the handling but it sounds like you have it well covered.
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #41301
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Cool. Sunday is probably the better day for me. Swing? Dillon or is it my turn to come your way? Devil I could bring my wife's bike, it's not a bad bike and it would be a pretty good fit ( I think)

Whitey good for you
Sunday works better for me too. I'm equal distance from Dillon, Mohican, Alum Creek, Chestnut Ridge so makes no matter to me.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #41302
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Any of you local guys ever tried a CRF450X around here?
Worked on that CRF450 last night and was intrigued by how little oil it held. The tranny and motor are seperate compartments and they use drain plugs that double at case bolts wich is why I had to go on line to find them. Some other dumbass on line didn't know either so he said lay it over and drain it out the oil level weep hole. I guess he didn't feel like digging far enough. The crank only holds 700cc of oil so if you burn a little, you better carry some with you. I was also surprised there was only one filter. All my bikes have at least one paper filter and a couple screens.

Hoping to ride it Saturday

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #41303
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Laugh

I've made an official classified ad here and on ThumperTalk. We'll see if anyone is interested in a trade. The more comparisons I read the more the WRR appears to be drastically above the competition, and the more difficult it will be to settle on a KLX or DRZ; the cost difference will have to be fairly substantial.

We'll see how this all plays out.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #41304
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
The more comparisons I read the more the WRR appears to be drastically above the competition, and the more difficult it will be to settle on a KLX or DRZ.
That's the conclusion I came to.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #41305
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
I've made an official classified ad here and on ThumperTalk. We'll see if anyone is interested in a trade. The more comparisons I read the more the WRR appears to be drastically above the competition, and the more difficult it will be to settle on a KLX or DRZ; the cost difference will have to be fairly substantial.

We'll see how this all plays out.
From what I've seen, IF you can find a used WRR they want a premium for it ($4k+), whereas you can find KLX's all day long for well under $3k. With that much of a spread in price I wouldn't hesitate to buy the KLX and put a grand or so into upgrades (big-bore kit, pumper carb, suspension work) to match or surpass a stock WRR and still be ahead money-wise.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #41306
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Think I just found my dream house.

I know, it doesn't look like anything special...until....

...wait for it...

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #41307
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post

That would be great if you had company sitting on the porch when you hit the button.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #41308
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
From what I've seen, IF you can find a used WRR they want a premium for it ($4k+), whereas you can find KLX's all day long for well under $3k. With that much of a spread in price I wouldn't hesitate to buy the KLX and put a grand or so into upgrades (big-bore kit, pumper carb, suspension work) to match or surpass a stock WRR and still be ahead money-wise.
Not everybody wants to do that much work to a bike- especially when you're talking about mods to the tune of 30% of the bike's street value. The WR is one of the best 'out of the box' bikes. Add a few protection items if you plan on off-roading and go!

WR's are still at $4k because A: they've only been around since 2008 and B: most aren't willing to part with them. They're an awesome bike and they have an MSRP over $6k, the price just isn't going to fall that far.

Put a grand into a three grand KLX and you'll have a louder, slightly less reliable, lower mpg KLX that's worth $3000.

z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #41309
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
That's not necessarily what I'm finding. I've found a few WR250R's for 3000-3500 (and several for 4-5), I'm finding less KLX's, and the couple I did find are in a similar 3000 range.

I've also found (I stayed up way to late researching last night) that it takes the KLX $1000 worth of 351cc kit and custom B&B carb to simply match the WR's stock dyno numbers. Add an exhaust and power commander to the WR and it's dominant again.

I know what you're saying though, and you're right. If I can find a KLX for well over a grand less than the WR, then I have a hell of a hard decision to make, but what I'm seeing from searching is that they can be had for nearly the same cost.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #41310
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,674
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, here's a few of the deal's I've found on WR's by searching the Midwest using crazedlist.org

Illinois:
$4k with a bunch of mods:
http://rockford.craigslist.org/mcy/2673591052.html

$3k in michigan
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/2658434978.html

$2500, MI
http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/2681386404.html

$3500 in Cleveland(ish)
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2670675297.html
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote