ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #41461
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,764
Vetoed some taxes then exercised my right to the Pursuit of Happiness

Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #41462
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
One Step Closer!

Had some free time after a no-wait vote this morning before work, so I headed over to Ohio Motorcycle. Only one dual sport, a 450 KTM monster that was sold. I did sit for awhile on a Yamaha WR250F though (the non-dual sport version) as I assumed it'll be close to the standard seat on the WRR and similar to the KLX. I figured before I buy one of these things, I should at least sit on one for a minute (I still may make it over to Gahanna for a little pretend 'test ride'). The thing was tall, but skinny and light enough to not be intimidating. Basically just what I expected. The seat comfort was a bit worse than expected. Dang those things are skinny and stiff (). This KLX I'm planning on has a gel seat, so we'll see if it's any better. Doesn't matter, I'll man up either way and ride the hell outa the thing.

Upon further inspection, the WRF I was sitting on has a seat height of 38.6", and the KLX is only 35". That's for the better!

They also still have a (new) last years model KTM Adventure. I drool over that thing every time I'm in there.

Both Ohio Motorcycle and Competition Accessories will be getting new Black Super Tenere's this week as well if anyone has been looking for one. Iron Pony has had a Blue one with bags for a couple weeks now, it was still there last week when I was there. No WRR's or KLX's though at either the Pony or Ohio Motorcycle.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #41463
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Had some free time after a no-wait vote this morning before work, so I headed over to Ohio Motorcycle. Only one dual sport, a 450 KTM monster that was sold. I did sit for awhile on a Yamaha WR250F though (the non-dual sport version) as I assumed it'll be close to the standard seat on the WRR and similar to the KLX. I figured before I buy one of these things, I should at least sit on one for a minute (I still may make it over to Gahanna for a little pretend 'test ride'). The thing was tall, but skinny and light enough to not be intimidating. Basically just what I expected. The seat comfort was a bit worse than expected. Dang those things are skinny and stiff (). This KLX I'm planning on has a gel seat, so we'll see if it's any better. Doesn't matter, I'll man up either way and ride the hell outa the thing.

Upon further inspection, the WRF I was sitting on has a seat height of 38.6", and the KLX is only 35". That's for the better!

They also still have a (new) last years model KTM Adventure. I drool over that thing every time I'm in there.

Both Ohio Motorcycle and Competition Accessories will be getting new Black Super Tenere's this week as well if anyone has been looking for one. Iron Pony has had a Blue one with bags for a couple weeks now, it was still there last week when I was there. No WRR's or KLX's though at either the Pony or Ohio Motorcycle.
If you'd like to sit on a lowered WR250R, I live between Tuttle and Mill Run and could meet you somewhere.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #41464
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,375
I AM going out to ride the XR in some dirt somewhere tomorrow...Wayne? Perry? Richland? elsewhere?...not decided yet

who's with me?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #41465
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I AM going out to ride the XR in some dirt somewhere tomorrow...Wayne? Perry? Richland? elsewhere?...not decided yet

who's with me?
According to the weather man you'll get wet.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #41466
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Weather.com says only 40% chance, and it's for the afternoon/evening! Not that I can go ride with you Sion, but I will be riding to work tomorrow as I'm on an early shift!

And ArmyJoe, thanks for the offer! z@ch has also offered, and I appreciate it from you both! I know the thing is going to be different from what I'm used to, and I'm excited about the change! I rode a CRF230 through three dirt bike classes last year, I'm excited to know that this KLX is a bit more powerful and capable. It'll be significantly more capable than I in the dirt for a good while. I just need to find tires that will be as enjoyable on pavement as off. I've got a few in mind to try out.

Found a couple pictures from last years classes. I forgot all about these!

And yes, I felt like I was ten feet off the ground and soaring like freaking Travis Pastrana on that 'Jump'. Us noobs are easily impressed!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #41467
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
According to the weather man you'll get wet.

pffft...the weather man is right about as often as a politician tells the truth....I'll take my chances

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #41468
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 171
Mike,

Was the calss at Honda in Troy? We did that course why back in 03 IIRC and it was a lot of fun.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #41469
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,682
I met a nice young lady working for college money that needed a 3/4" wrench for her nipples.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #41470
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 754
That looks like Honda... i don't remember any jumping on the dirt bikes! Back in 2006 or 2007. Kewlll.

Quote:
Weather.com says only 40% chance, and it's for the afternoon/evening! Not that I can go ride with you Sion, but I will be riding to work tomorrow as I'm on an early shift!

And ArmyJoe, thanks for the offer! z@ch has also offered, and I appreciate it from you both! I know the thing is going to be different from what I'm used to, and I'm excited about the change! I rode a CRF230 through three dirt bike classes last year, I'm excited to know that this KLX is a bit more powerful and capable. It'll be significantly more capable than I in the dirt for a good while. I just need to find tires that will be as enjoyable on pavement as off. I've got a few in mind to try out.

And yes, I felt like I was ten feet off the ground and soaring like freaking Travis Pastrana on that 'Jump'. Us noobs are easily impressed!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #41471
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
pffft...the weather man is right about as often as a politician tells the truth....I'll take my chances
I tend to trust NOAA a bit more than the local weather hacks. Just saying, take a waterproof liner for the jacket, it's supposed to cool off too.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #41472
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,879
Mike, I think you will find the CRF230F has more "power", or at least more grunt down low, due to gearing.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #41473
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Where is this class of which you speak?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #41474
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I think he said it is at the Troy Honda store which is off I-75 and Rt41?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #41475
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Multiple locations, it's the MSF Dirt Bike school:

https://training.msf-usa.org/RES/dbs.../dbsintro.aspx

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote