ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #44191
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Michael & other influences - good on you for taking the newbie under your wing and showing her the ropes - she's up on the pegs and wrenching

GCMK - Three cheers for listening to your off-road mentor(s) and not being afraid to fall - the video looks good - now stay on the pegs when the wheels start to slip. If it ever gets back to snowing, doing donuts in the back yard in first gear while you stay standing on the pegs is good for balance - not so good for your lawn.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #44192
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Ohio road rat put air horns on his. Keeps confusing it with his turn signal and scarring the piss out of everyone.
Yup, I have the stebil air horn on my uly. It's LOUD, and pulls well over ten amps
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #44193
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Can she cut a coil or half of a coil in the mean time to bring the ride height down? It will stiffen the ride up even more but it may solve her other problem until she gets a new spring in it.
Not typically on a rear. The first and last coils are bent flat all the way around where the middle doesn't.

GCMK most bikes are made for riders about 140-160 pounds give or take 20 pounds. Unless a youth bike. Unless you're just plain tiny the spring might be aftermarket or your shock could be stuck. Bigger guys like me have the opposite problem. I always bottom out suspensions. My Dr is acting like a park rider now.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #44194
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,654
Interestingly enough, most police don't even look at me on the BMW. I guess an old man's bike just doesn't look like an issue

HEY !!!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #44195
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I think one of those ah-ooooooogah horns would be hilarious on a dirtbike
You know you want to..

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...orn-96291.html
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #44196
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Maybe I just need to gain weight? The rear spring appears to be stock, can't find anything indicating otherwise.

other thoughts on sag? Got to admit, this is a little ridiculous.
alright. back to the garage.
We have a TTR125 and the first thing I did was buy stiff springs for it front and rear. It was way to soft even for Kyle and he was about 100lbs then. I should still have to stock spring if you want to try it. I would change the front for sure the stock springs are to short and the factory used 6 inch spacers on top of the springs. With the new springs you dont use the spacers. No mater what you do to the stock suspension on any KIDS trail bike its still going to stink. I have learned that the hard way. Four crf50s, 2 Klx110s, crf150f, and a TTR125. All of them have aftermarket shocks and fork springs.
alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #44197
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Can she cut a coil or half of a coil in the mean time to bring the ride height down? It will stiffen the ride up even more but it may solve her other problem until she gets a new spring in it.

We're thinking about shaving the seat, you get a 2 fold benefit, She can touch easier and the step will keep her buns where they need to be and not sliding off the back. Oddly, many pro motocrossers use them, however, the guys who do all the hard core climbing in GNCC and Enduros don't.

Another idea will come at rear tire replacement in finding a tire with a lower profile, may drop up to an inch depending on what's available. The other option would be a lowering link, however this doesn't fix the issue that she weighs half the weight of her bike compared to someone like me who weighs in at about .95% of my 250.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #44198
Danjal
Insert wit here.

http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch

Try there. They normally stock about all major bikes front and rear springs. Mike (mgorman) would be able to tell you about how much sag and such you would need. Im not familiar with dual sport and dirt setups as far as ride height and spring travel. Id imagine you keep it soft enough to use the whole suspension height,but stiff enough it wont bottom out.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #44199
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
We have a TTR125 and the first thing I did was buy stiff springs for it front and rear. It was way to soft even for Kyle and he was about 100lbs then. I should still have to stock spring if you want to try it.

Allan, that'd be great, especially if hers is not a stock spring which I think may be the case. Let one of us know about getting it from you, I can either ride down and pick it up and put it on before the next ride or she can meet you and get it while it's apart.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #44200
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post

Thanks, we'd already dug through them, they said go stiffer??

I think her springs not stock

Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #44201
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Thanks, we'd already dug through them, they said go stiffer??

I think her springs not stock
Racetech always overstates the spring rate just to forewarn you. But punching in the numbers on the spring rate app would get us close to what she needs. Figure the next size or two down. It should list the stock rate too.

What year is hers? And should I figure at 100 pounds?

For a 2012 its .332 kg/mm front and 6.0 rear stock. Its recommending 5.13 for a 100 pound rider. They sell down to a 4.5. Id try a 4.5 for her. Thats a base ttr-125. Theres a lea and leb model in there, not sure what the difference is. Of course if shes getting a donor stock she can try it. Its just going to be pretty solid. FYI .372 recommended front rate. Id say .35 or just under. Stock should work and be a bit plush once she really hits it hard. Springs go for about 115 a pair there.

Danjal screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 07:19 PM
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #44202
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Only listed the stock fronts and to call for the rears. I'm hoping to try ALanz spring just to see if the kid who had it before didn't replace it already. If Alan had to go stiffer and hers won't budge more than a half inch, I hoping his stocker will give her the sag she needs.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #44203
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Racetech always overstates the spring rate just to forewarn you. But punching in the numbers on the spring rate app would get us close to what she needs. Figure the next size or two down. It should list the stock rate too.

What year is hers? And should I figure at 100 pounds?
2002 TTR125L
125 lbs

The spring can't be stock, there's just no way.

I can't believe a woman my age is actually looking for sag..........

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #44204
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Michael & other influences - good on you for taking the newbie under your wing and showing her the ropes - she's up on the pegs and wrenching

GCMK - Three cheers for listening to your off-road mentor(s) and not being afraid to fall - the video looks good - now stay on the pegs when the wheels start to slip. If it ever gets back to snowing, doing donuts in the back yard in first gear while you stay standing on the pegs is good for balance - not so good for your lawn.
I know, aren't they fabulous?!
I'm a lucky girl.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #44205
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I can't believe a woman my age is actually looking for sag..........