ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #44671
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
T
Something's a miss in your pilot and fuel screw passages on that 426. Way too lean. Did you ever get to look at it?
I have it on the stand, but have been working on the other end at the moment. I've been only half motivated since I was in no hurry to ride and other projects.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #44672
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
who's up for a ride?

it looks like pretty nice weather this afternoon, and tomorrow.

I'm gonna get out today on the Magna (after I get some sleep) but want to ride the XR tomorrow.
Sucks that I have to work, but if you get bored riding around you could always play an elf and do some work on my bikes. I have a whole list of things to get done on the KTMs and so little time to do it...
Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #44673
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
Sion, I will ride tomorrow and promise not to sport any Browns gear.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #44674
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Rides

Goony, the divide with be motorized. I did just watch ride the divide race. As much as I love mountain biking and racing, that race isn't going to make my "to do" list unless it was 100% paid for. If I want to pay for that much pain, I'll just buy some girl that dislikes me a whip.

Dates are dependent on finances. I broke down and bought a new New Truck in '10 and kept the payment span short so I kinda put myself in a bind. My ride for this summer which a few know about is to help deliver a 950A to Wasilla Ak and a date with Sarah Palin while I'm in town. The person I'm riding with, an occasion contributor here (he'll pipe up if he feels like being known) will only be going one way. After that, I'm on my own to do as I please unless Sarah decides to keep me, otherwise, my original plan was to take the Ferry (not my BFF) down the coast to BC then come back to the Rockies and ride south til I got bored, ran out of money or time then iron butt it home.

The other options were to ride down the coast to San Fran to meet up with some relatives and a friend then come home. More than likely, just ride back down the Continental Divide back to the states. Who knows, I may even get a chance to hook up with someone that's on their way back.

A trip to Baja will have to wait until I recoup my cash flow which shouldn't be too bad. They say you are what you eat so it should be fast, easy and cheap.

There is a chance I can do the Arizona desert next spring since room and board would be free. We'll have to see if the condo has an extra bed or two.

Travel Issues - I don't travel well with smokers, I don't want to smell you or have to keep stopping for smoke breaks. Someone once asked if I ever smoked, I said no, never. They asked "not even after sex"? I told them I didn't know, I never looked.

Drinkers, hearing you tell me you love me all night won't get you lucky, well maybe...

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #44675
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
I have it on the stand, but have been working on the other end at the moment. I've been only half motivated since I was in no hurry to ride and other projects.

let me know if you need any help

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #44676
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

I am up for a baja trip before May or after Oct 15th. I have a newer box truck with chocks and bunks in it. I t can carry 2-3 bikes and still have room for all the gear.

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #44677
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

What about just riding the American desert areas and eliminating the bandito factor?

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #44678
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
What about just riding the American desert areas and eliminating the bandito factor?
That would be something I would be up for. I spent some time in old Mexico hunting and was great on the ranch (except for crazy cowboy who though Chucky was trying to kill him and kept stealing his knives) but not sure I would be up for an unguided motocycle tour in some of the areas we went through. I guess I'm just not as adventurous as some of you...
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #44679
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Just don't hit a cat.
He was wearing the entrails like a fucking scarf!

(snarf, snarf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post

Same goes for the family and life choices. It's something I am more than happy to discuss.
OK, fair enough.

I sent you a PM.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #44680
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
That's always been my view - unless you're in love with the mystique of Baja or want to ride along the coast, there's not a "need" to go there to ride vast desert expanses. There is so much open desert to ride in the US it's not funny, and some of the riding mirrors the conditions of Baja to a tee, especially in southern Arizona.

I learned to ride in the desert, there's some awesome and varied terrain between Phoenix and Tuscon, complete with all the silt beds, rocky outcroppings, washouts and hardpack you could ever want.

There are advantages to Baja in that you can ride multi-day trips and stay at the hostels and resorts very cheaply, but that can be done north of the border with some planning.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #44681
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
I could be convinced of this.......

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #44682
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Ok, let's do an American desert trip, who's ready?

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #44683
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
That's always been my view - unless you're in love with the mystique of Baja or want to ride along the coast, there's not a "need" to go there to ride vast desert expanses.
Is there a "need" to go anywhere on a motorcycle? The way I see it, Baja combines a new culture, with mountains, with desert, with coast. You're only going to get 2 out of the 4 anywhere in the US.

Baja's not at the top of my list; like most of you are arguing, there is plenty to do in the US first, but it is definitely on my list, and it, like Central, and to a lesser extent, South America, are just completely new and different worlds, that are completely within reach!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #44684
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Actually you have to go pretty far south to get some real culture. Baja has been swarming with gringos for years. The real Mexico lies in the mainland, the further south the better. The states of Chiapas and Oaxaca are full of interesting Indian tribes, some of which still speak Mayan dialects.

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #44685
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Is there a "need" to go anywhere on a motorcycle? The way I see it, Baja combines a new culture, with mountains, with desert, with coast. You're only going to get 2 out of the 4 anywhere in the US.

Baja's not at the top of my list; like most of you are arguing, there is plenty to do in the US first, but it is definitely on my list, and it, like Central, and to a lesser extent, South America, are just completely new and different worlds, that are completely within reach!
Well put!

That said, I'm in on American desert for now and will look forward to Baja at some point.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote