ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #45376
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 280
Hidden Valley Dressing

Great to meet everyone today...I regret my morning statement ..."I wish it was warmer." Like Bob Ramsay said..it was way to slick and greasy once everything melted. It cost $10 in quarters to get all the muck off the Husky.
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #45377
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,643
old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
my Magna IS as old as Mikef500
Hell,my shoes are older than Mikef500 !!!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #45378
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Thanks to the OH ADVR crew for inviting me for a ride. I DID have some fun, altho with the snotty conditions and a fairly limited trail choice (pretty small area) it's easy to run out of new riding challenges quickly. Some of the short hills were kind'a tricky with the limited traction, tho. I'll keep an eye on this space for other ride opportunities and new riding areas.

I chuckled at the "how do I wash this mud off?" comments. It took me as long to get the DRZ clean as it did to drive back to Cincinnati !! The goop was packed in to the nooks and crannies so tightly, I had to take the cover off the primary drive sprocket to clean the mud and sticks out. Pretty sure I could do a trip a week to the ranch and start a top soil delivery route to Cinti....
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #45379
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Couldn't go to Springfield, but I did get out today, but first of all, here is my very tough girl;

I first went out for a 20 mile road ride, took my acoustic motorbike;

Then out on the DR, the end of Cattail Road.

Out by Salt Fork, Rocky Fork Road.

Ralston Road, NW Guernsey County, maybe we should tag all these signs with ADV Ohio stickers.

Yellow Water Road, if there is a worse "real" township road in Guernsey County, I don't know where it is, guernesy and I went through here last summer, I was on the V-Strom, I would not have made it today, but a breeze on the DR;

Had my first time experience of going down a steep hill, 1st gear, no throttle, standing on a fully locked back brake, and still gaining speed. It's very nice to know that if things get real weird, you can just drop the bike and step off.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #45380
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,041
Some like their video with no music.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #45381
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Hidden Spring Ranch

First and foremost, it was great meeting everyone today. As for the riding, well I was glad to see that everyone else though it was as slick as I did. It's been a while since I started venturing out off road again and I was beginning to think I had lost all of my off road skills from my youth. I only managed to ride about 6 1/2 miles today, but anytime I can get the KLR dirty is a fun time. It probably took me a half hour with my pressure washer to get most of the mud off which is par for the course from what I have been reading from others. I should have some video footage from the ride, but t will probably be a few days before I have time to edit and post it. In the mean time I have a feeling that you might get to see me going down in the creek from Buildit's video part deux.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #45382
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Some like their video with no music.
Cool video!

Isn't it hard on the bike to lug the engine that low? If it was a 2t it would have fouled a plug.

Lets see some powwa!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #45383
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
that's a silly question.....
I'm sure you know my answer.
Most indubitably

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #45384
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
it seems to be on the 17th of March...the same day as Garage Day in Frazeysburg

Unfortunately yes

Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #45385
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
If you fuckers keep posting videos like that, a woods bike is going to find its way to the top of my bikes to be bought this spring list.
Looks fun, and since I'm starting my midlife crisis mode, I think it's time I finally get a bike dirty.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #45386
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

If you have to have one bike, it has to be a Dual Sport, if not, you miss out on all the great riding you can't do on the average pavement pounder

Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #45387
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
If you fuckers keep posting videos like that, a woods bike is going to find its way to the top of my bikes to be bought this spring list.
Looks fun, and since I'm starting my midlife crisis mode, I think it's time I finally get a bike dirty.
Good to see you getting out of the basement a little 'poser.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #45388
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
If you have to have one bike, it has to be a Dual Sport, if not, you miss out on all the great riding you can't do on the average pavement pounder
+1...

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #45389
FatherX
X Factory Big Cheese

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
if you have to have one bike, it has to be a dual sport, if not, you miss out on all the great riding you can't do on the average pavement pounder
+1
Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #45390
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
+1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
+1

Nope. I disagree.

I've tried this a bunch of times over the years and always failed. When I decided years ago to take my riding down to one bike, I gave this a go. But, as a n00b off pavement rider, I have yet to find a dual sport that is worth a shit on the road that doesn't scare me to death to take off road at any more than fire road level. I ended up giving up in my search and haven't ridden at all in damn near five years now.

Now, here in the last week (and I'm guessing that 40th birthday thing last week might have something to do with it..) I came up with a new out look on it. Instead of trying to find one do it all bike and spend many thousands of dollars on it, I should just try to find 2(or 3, or 4) different bikes that do what they are supposed to do well, but on a budget for each!
So, I'm looking around to see what I can sell to come up with some money to get started down my new path of enlightenment. First bike must be something I can take the kids for rides on, good for short rides, but capable of some weekend trips to get back to some adv events this year. This could end up being anything from a KLR to a full dress harley, but it's not something I'm going to be willing to go chase you nuts around on your dual sport rides on. At least until I get some experience off road.
The second bike is looking to be a dedicated woods bike. A street legal 250 would probably be light enough and docile enough that I would be willing to tag along on some group rides figuring that if someone is there on an S10 or big GS, I should be able to go where ever they can. It means trailering it to wherever the fun is going to be, but I'll take the ridicule for that.
Now, after a few years, maybe I'll build up the skills to be able to go with one bike that I'd be willing to ride from home to Goonies, then spend a weekend exploring the goat trails with you fuckers and then ride it back home, but for now, I don't see one bike being the right answer.
And I don't care if it's the right way to go in the real world, my wife bought of on it....

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote