ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #45466
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
thanks for my new desktop
oh! brilliant plan!

Thanks Muddy Rabbit!!! Maybe we can have a good old fashion convoy next winter.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #45467
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,509

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #45468
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Yeah, the original Trans Am was some good racing. I wish I could find my Mark Donahue autograph.
I don't have one from TranAm, but I have Kendall Confidence that I can find my Peter Gregg autograph. I also have a piece of LF fender from Al Holbert's #14 Lowenbrau 962.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #45469
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,044
Any of you Nascar fans wanna make me an offer on this? Vintage 1995 I believe.

No it's not a real hood. Dad owned a bar for a while and this was one of the display items. Has the upper tip broken off but other wise is in perfect shape.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #45470
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
http://starlinerdiner.com/

Starliner Diner in Hilliard

Arrive 6:15 -7? or later!

looking to be a good turnout tonight.

:( I just got off work. Since it's an hour and a half drive, looks like I won't be joining again this time.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #45471
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
I managed to sneak some dirt roads into a trip to get new tie rods for my truck today...and was rewarded by seeing a pair of bald eagles less than a mile from home.

Also, I'm giving strong consideration to painting my KLR OD green tomorrow......trying to decide how dumb it will look...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread

Gonzo_Matt screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 04:18 PM
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #45472
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
I don't have one from TranAm, but I have Kendall Confidence that I can find my Peter Gregg autograph. I also have a piece of LF fender from Al Holbert's #14 Lowenbrau 962.
I got to do a hot lap with Peter Gregg at Road Atlanta in the late 70's, it was either 78 or 79, they bolted a passenger seat in his IMSA Brumos Porsche. I was working for Alex Cooley and was working Medical at Road Atlanta, so I got a ride,. He drove sickeningly fast, and said he was going about 95%, because "otherwise you'd have a heart attack." I've never had any illusions about what going fast really means since,
Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #45473
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 291
You can't say he's fearless. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Sorry, pure ignorance of the topic. Montoya won CART's championship as a rookie. Hack? You don't know what you're talking about.

He won several F1 races in a middling car. Hack? He was competing against Schumacher and Raikkenen in those years, and often had to out race them for his successes. Yeah...pure hack.

I don't even know where to begin with your derision of NASCAR, except that it's a popular and silly position held by a lot of people that hate their own culture to the point of blindness, but just do this math for yourself - some of the best drivers in the world competed against NASCAR's best in IROC and other forms of racing, and didn't dominate the circle track guys. Some racers like John Andretti who have won at every form of racing there is practically joined it and didn't do very well. Mr. Baja Robby Gordon? Stinks in NASCAR. Former bike champions have tried it, and failed. Ringers like Boris Said are hired because of their impeccable road course skill, yet seldom win.

You also talk as if all the races are restrictor plate races, which is utterly absurd. They race on everything from high banked 1/2 miles to diamonds, to road courses, to super speedways. Sure, what you describe is true at Daytona (to a small degree), but is a naive way of describing the whole sport. At a race like Bristol, the lead cars often lap the 4th or 5th place cars, breakaway is common as it is on a lot of NASCAR tracks. Do you even watch the sport to have such an opinion?

At some tracks, or even their road courses, you are riding on the ragged edge of loss of traction in a heavy car with skinny tires (relative to open wheel), and you have to hold that car there for hours on end, better than 42 of the best drivers in the business. That's something 90% of us could do just as well?

Bullshit.

I did the Dover experience which is a mere 80% power version of NASCAR several years ago, and it was FUCKING HARD. The difference between a good line and being in the concrete was as fine and as tenuous as anything I've ever felt in an automobile or on a motorcycle, it physically exhausted me after 10 laps. And, I was alone. I didn't have to be 4" from some other car or worry about passing or being passed. They do 400 laps, and faster with more power to control, and have to navigate a huge field of cars. If you think you just drive in a circle, or it's easy, you are high.

What's sad is, I'm not even a big fan of NASCAR, it's just another of many forms of professional racing I have watched or pay attention to.
Short and to the point (I love the eloquence above) - the man does things his way!

And he performs. And I've never heard him complain - about anything - no excuses (that's worth $100 to me!) He's walked away from some major paychecks. (walking away from F-1 ?!?). He makes calculated, ballsy moves and that's a real plus when I invest 2-3 hours of my time - that's entertainment for me.

I enjoy F-1 because of technology and suffer through the politics (wonder how Max Mosley's doing?) Rally cars - that's where Kimi's been - that's some racing for the sport of it! NASCAR, doesn't rise blow any smoke for me but it does sell one hell of a lot of T-shirts and few canned beers. And the women love it!

What's all the fuss about him hitting the blower? That could have been any swinging dick - on any given day. I guess it's news when an Indy 500 winner mis-judges his speed.

Obviously, Juan is into his racing - and all that the track and pits brings to him. More power to him! Wish I had a little of that going for me.

Hack? Isn't that a politician playing for himself and his cronies? It is in my book - and there's not shortage of them!

That's a strong label to throw about! Them's fighting wirds!

Over and out -
Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #45474
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there
Amen.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #45475
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I managed to sneak some dirt roads into a trip to get new tie rods for my truck today...and was rewarded by seeing a pair of bald eagles less than a mile from home.

Also, I'm giving strong consideration to painting my KLR OD green tomorrow......trying to decide how dumb it will look...
It will be look ghey. Go black, i hear you will never go back.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #45476
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

I grew up on dirt track racing Friday and Saturday nights and Nascar on Sunday. However,I havent watched a full Nascar race in several years. I feel it has been neutered and sold out as just a huge soap opera that only worries about the money. For example, jam a mic in the face of someone that just pissed away $250k purse money by blowing a motor and then get offended when they say a curse word. Fuck you. I can remember when I was 6 years old watching a guy get his head cracked with a 3 foot jack handle for putting someone in the wall at Mansfield Raceway.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #45477
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,643
colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
It will be look ghey. Go black, i hear you will never go back.

But if you go red you may end up dead,
But if you go green that would be obscene,
But if you go blue you won`t know what to do,
But if you go orange you..............................................,
But if you go silver you............................................... Oh Crap,forget it. Go with the black!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #45478
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
But if you go red you may end up dead,
But if you go green that would be obscene,
But if you go blue you won`t know what to do,
But if you go orange you..............................................,
But if you go silver you............................................... Oh Crap,forget it. Go with the black!
Go with Whitey, never again feel tighty.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #45479
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
aite, so OD green it is.....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #45480
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,484
I think OD green is cool. I always liked the USMC's KLRs, those looked the business.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote