ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #46246
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Anyone else notice there are a shit-ton of bugs for mid-March? I counted approximately 597,354-1/2 of them while cleaning off my windshield and headlight this morning from my 200 miles yesterday.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #46247
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Anyone else notice there are a shit-ton of bugs for mid-March? I counted approximately 597,354-1/2 of them while cleaning off my windshield and headlight this morning from my 200 miles yesterday.
Yep, one of the downsides to our temperate winter.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #46248
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Yep, one of the downsides to our temperate winter.
I seldom wish this, but a good solid week of sub-zero in late winter/early spring would put a dent in the bug population.

I'll trade that, for a more pleasant riding season.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #46249
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Next weekend I'll be inMcArthur Saturday refereeing the Collegiate Cycling Champs. then in the afternoon heading towards Columbus. I'd like to find a place to camp as close to Columbus as possible so I can sleep in a little longer before heading to OSU to ref the 2nd set of races.

Any good places down that way that may be open?
Just stay at my place. About 3 miles south of Alum Creek, Dry, Free...

1530 Royal Oak Dr.
Lewis Center, OH 43035

You should have my number

Edit - I see I am late on the offer

....Don't get complacent!

QUICKDRAW screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 09:12 PM
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #46250
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
I have generally ridden through any kind of weather (even snow & ice) video evidence up to this point but I'm changing that policy after seeing these mega storms roll though the last couple of years. :( Mega lightning or strong winds/tornadoes will send me looking for cover from now on... Climate change is real!!!

I admit to having some fascination with doomsday shows/movies too. ;) I'm thinking about setting up the KLR as my "bug out" vehical of choice. ;) It's a pack mule and can go just about anywhere. ;) (Hey that's a video idea for you Luke!)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 12:54 AM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #46251
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Climate change is real!!!
We're all riding our motorsickles around in a geography that used to be a glacier, and going back a ways was a lush rainforest, and if you go reaaaaaallly far back was a toxic cauldron of gases, violent storms and a bunch of rock.

Science pro-tip.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #46252
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
We're all riding our motorsickles around in a geography that used to be a glacier, and going back a ways was a lush rainforest, and if you go reaaaaaallly far back was a toxic cauldron of gases, violent storms and a bunch of rock.

Science pro-tip.

I'm glad you believe those scientist. ;) So do I..
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #46253
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:

Science pro-tip.

It's still a toxic cauldron of gases here in SE Ohio.

At least the glaciers weren't as hard on us down here.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #46254
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,163
Quote:
I admit to having some fascination with doomsday shows/movies too. ;) I'm thinking about setting up the KLR as my "bugout" vehical of choice. ;) It's a pack mule and can go just about anywhere. ;) (Hey that's a video idea for you Luke!)
I think Ohio Riders has enough SHTF threads to cover this forum too, don't you? Besides, "bug out"? Where you going? If SHTF you are probably safest where you live. Besides everyone knows WPAFB and Columbus will be first strike targets.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #46255
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I think Ohio Riders has enough SHTF threads to cover this forum too, don't you? Besides, "bug out"? Where you going? If SHTF you are probably safest where you live. Besides everyone knows WPAFB and Columbus will be first strike targets.
I don't follow OR that much so I didn't know the SHTF threads. ;) I've just been watching doomsday preppers on NATGEO and it got me thinking about stuff. ;) I'd head to the hills of course! I'm just trying to justify keeping the KLR and it's perfect for a bug out vehicle.

indypup screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 12:55 AM
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #46256
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:

Science pro-tip.

Global Climate Change, a topic that includes Global Warming, refers to the relatively abrupt shift in weather patterns during the last hundred years, BTW
Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #46257
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
It's still a toxic cauldron of gases here in SE Ohio.

At least the glaciers weren't as hard on us down here.
I live right in the extremities of the Laurentide glacial belt, literally right at the edge in a pocket that rings Granville and Newark. Go north from me and it flattens out, south and it flattens out again, only east remains unmolested. The entire area around me is full of boulders on the unfarmed parcels where they were pushed along by the leading edge of the ice.

When we dug my driveway and foundation we hit several car-sized boulders, which were mucho fun to get out of there. The good thing was they're valuable and we sold them to a company in Hilliard which came out and loaded them up and removed them. The smaller ones we kept and are still on the property.

They're unique because they're not jagged like some of the large rocks you might find all over the state, these ones are smoother and round, from being gradually pushed and having the edges knocked off.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #46258
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Global Climate Change, a topic that includes Global Warming, refers to the relatively abrupt shift in weather patterns during the last hundred years, BTW
I know what it is I was joking....but the idea that recent climate change is even a serious topic always made me laugh. The climate isn't static, hell we're in a warming trend for the last 10,000 years; that's kind of what happens after an ice age. But, in the short term, we've seen radical cooling and warming trends even in 50-200 year spans. I think we cooled in the last 10 years, did we not?

What causes that change is the only debate. Man? The sun? Natural cycles? Cher's movie career? Well, that's stuff for CS&M where vaginal cavities can appropriately fill with sand.

BTW, it's the sun.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #46259
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,460
Gun Guy Pron (Just guns, No girls)

Have any other of you Gun Guys seen this thing yet? A double barreled 1911 - 45 cal. Not many rounds in each clip but you have 2 IN the gun at a time.

Imagine the stopping power down range! Not to mention the intimidation factor.

Might be a bit tough to CC though.

Click ---> Wicked 1911 Double Barrel

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #46260
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
I know what it is I was joking....but the idea that recent climate change is even a serious topic always made me laugh. The climate isn't static, hell we're in a warming trend for the last 10,000 years; that's kind of what happens after an ice age. But, in the short term, we've seen radical cooling and warming trends even in 50-200 year spans. I think we cooled in the last 10 years, did we not?

What causes that change is the only debate. Man? The sun? Natural cycles? Cher's movie career? Well, that's stuff for CS&M where vaginal cavities can appropriately fill with sand.

BTW, it's the sun.

Ok. well you know how some people get when you even mention global warming. ;) I agree CS&M stuff. I might have to check out that vaginal cavity stuff.