ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #46456
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
It was painful, but I looked at the entire thread. I'm sorry to say I didn't know him/never met him, but he's the prototype rider for me; not young, not skinny, could be a lot of people I know or me.

It's good to look at that thread, and see someone "doing it right," and always remember, (like I say to myself or whoever will listen whenever something bad happens to someone on a motorcycle or in a racecar,) "Hey, it's possible to get killed doing this."
Tangent laden post below:

I have a buddy who is thinking about getting a dual sport. He just got his temps and has been sneaking around on my V-Strom and Meredith's bike lately. His wife finally found out and was pissed. Her worry is that he will get killed on a bike.

I tried to explain to her that wearing a helmet, getting endorsed, and not drinking while riding will cover 2/3 of the fatal accidents involving bikes. She was not impressed, stating that it's "the other people" she is worried about on the road.

I then tried to explain to her that her husband is the head of the SWAT team, goes to work every day and deals with society's untweezed taint, and potentially could get shot, ground up in a high speed crash, or otherwise meet his demise in all manner of violent ways. Oddly, this did not provide any measure of comfort for her.

In the end, we all sort of decided that life is pretty goddamn short, and death is pretty goddamn long; and if it makes the guy happy while he's on earth, be it riding or chasing down douchebags, let him do it, accept that what happens will happen, and quit yer bitchin'.

Every time I leave on a ride, or go in to work, I figure there's a chance I might get my ticket punched. I sure don't want to check out now, but I'm okay with it happening. The only thing I would really regret is never seeing Meredith again.

I don't believe in god, heaven, or hell. I believe in eternal nothingess and decomposition. I believe that 100 years after my death, no one will know who the fuck I ever was. Whatever time we have allotted on this earth, in my opinion, that's all we get. Nothing beyond that. Make it count, have fun, laugh, don't give a shit about what others think of you, basically follow the advice of Baz Luhrmann.

An Aerostich catalog had a quote in it years ago, which was my signature for a while: "Motorcycles tell us a useful truth; that we are small and exposed, and probably moving to fast for our own good, but that is no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride".

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #46457
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
blah blah blah
society's untweezed taint, .
So....do you have a video or what? It's kind of needed now.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #46458
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
"Motorcycles tell us a useful truth; that we are small and exposed, and probably moving to fast for our own good, but that is no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride".

damn thats good...wish I'd said it

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #46459
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
I tried to explain to her that wearing a helmet, getting endorsed, and not drinking while riding will cover 2/3 of the fatal accidents involving bikes. She was not impressed, stating that it's "the other people" she is worried about on the road.

I agree

I have access to every accident in stark county for the past 12 years or so. About 70% of all motorcycle Accidents in Stark County a few years back when I did some research showed that those 70% involved drugs, alcohol or speed of the bike as the determining factor.

Sadly, people always cry car when in fact, it isn't nearly always the fault of the car. I've been on the road for over 30 years (I hear Karl snickering) and only twice have I had to take evasive action, once I have to slide left of center and the other up the side walk between the pole and guy wire, down the side walk and back out the drive entrance. I've been lucky and I drive defensively, I also plan to keep it that way.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #46460
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
damn thats good...wish I'd said it
Here's the whole enchilada:

http://savvytraveler.publicradio.org...postcard.shtml

Click the "Listen with Real Audio" link, too; that's good.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #46461
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
kory had the parts in stock, so its back in one piece, i got off way better than the bike

Glad to hear, bike repairs are much quicker and less painful and cheaper

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #46462
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Tangent laden post below:
Since I take the time to complain about the rants I dislike, equal treatment is deserved for the ones I enjoy.

Well said.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #46463
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Luke gets head at 1:21.
I told you to be careful!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #46464
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Since I take the time to complain about the rants I dislike, equal treatment is deserved for the ones I enjoy.

Well said.
"I've gone and totally redeemed myself!"

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #46465
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
I don't believe in god, heaven, or hell. I believe in eternal nothingess and decomposition. I believe that 100 years after my death, no one will know who the fuck I ever was. Whatever time we have allotted on this earth, in my opinion, that's all we get. Nothing beyond that. Make it count, have fun, laugh, don't give a shit about what others think of you, basically follow the advice of Baz Luhrmann
I believe the aliens (GOD) will come back some day.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #46466
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
"I've gone and totally redeemed myself!"

I'm still not giving you a man hug, no matter how many more times you ask.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #46467
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post

Doing great, thanks. Thursday I got my doc's autograph on the "no restrictions" form and Friday I started arresting people again.
GREAT to hear! Congratulations!

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #46468
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
We got a real blasting from the storm too, hail and nasty wind. I just got back from a pizza run on the Vee when it hit, pulled into the garage just as the first rain drops hit.
How do you snag the first piece out of the pizza box on the way home, while on the bike? Come on, I know I'm not the only one that does that...

Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #46469
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Quote:
"I've gone and totally redeemed myself
Let's not get carried away here!

BTW, trust me on this Mark, people may not remember your name 100 years from now, but I assure you, some of the stories you've told on yourself WILL be retold many (more) thousands of times by people you've never even met, that heard them from someone on ADV. Some of them are just THAT much fun to tell.

And, that was one of the best "rants" in a long time.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #46470
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
basically follow the advice of Baz Luhrmann.
I was with you until you mentioned the sunscreen guy.

Interesting topic tho, and well stated.

I feel much the same about motorcycles, by and large, and I accept the risk (as does my wife whenever she rides), but I differ from some in that I'm pretty risk averse on the street...to the point that in truth I never, ever, get that "zen" relaxation/in-the-moment shit all the moto-writers blather on about. I'm sure it's there to be had, but for me to give myself in to the experience, I'm shutting down the part of me that knows I have a daughter to raise, a job to go to, a wife to grow old with, and bills to pay. I am hyper-aware on the bike 99.9% of the time and I would be lying if I said that it didn't get in the way of fun sometimes.

Lately, I've become committed to being a safer, smarter rider. In fact, I've purposely changed the "how and why" I ride in the last couple years, so that I don't feel that drive to ride beyond my abilities, or keep up with anyone, or even to be in places where the bike exposes me to too much risk. I do more easy rides with the wife to a restaurant, slow back road days, etc. Probably stuff that would bore a lot of guys, but it's good for me and it's good for the wife.

None of that is to say I don't completely understand that some people take greater risks, because believe me I have and would do so if my life was a little different.

It's a "deal" we all make with ourselves, at some level. The nitwit pirate in his dew rag rolls the dice with his choices, so does the Oldwing guy in his denim vest and 3/4 lid, and so does Captain Safety on his RT, hi-viz Stich and flashing landing-gear lights. All share some risk, some of the same risks, it's just how you decide to live with them. I still get a lot out of motorcycles, but I don't have that itch to find the line of my own abilities anymore.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote