ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #46561
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
You did WAY more work than you had to. The tank doesn't even need to come off and the plastic can be flexed apart, it don't have to come off either.
You're the second person I've heard say this, but I wonder if the Wee isn't easier to get at the airbox. When I tried to do it without the tank being lifted, there was no way...the airbox screws can't even be accessed without the tank being completely lifted.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #46562
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
You're the second person I've heard say this, but I wonder if the Wee isn't easier to get at the airbox. When I tried to do it without the tank being lifted, there was no way...the airbox screws can't even be accessed without the tank being completely lifted.
Yeah, so there! Also, look close, only the little side piece held on with one screw was removed. Yes, the tank will come off with the cowling plastic in place.

New front and rear tires, yes the rear is now a radial 705 so we'll see how it holds up. Trying something different up front with a Kenda Challenger 110/90-19. It's close but I still have 3/4 inch clearance to the fender. A total road oriented tire but I wanted to see how different it would be from a dual sport tire. Also wanna see if it wears better.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 04:44 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #46563
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post

New front and rear tires, yes the rear is now a radial 705 so we'll see how it holds up.
I'm on my 4th 705 radial rear on the Vee. I don't get a lot of life out of any rears, not like some people seem to, but the 705's do ok.. typically 4-5k and they're toast. I don't mind that so much, first because they're cheap but I like the tires performance a lot, they do better for me in the dirt and gravel than Tourances do at double the cost (and change).

Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #46564
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
I don't mind that so much, first because they're cheap but I like the tires performance a lot, they do better for me in the dirt and gravel than Tourances do at double the cost (and change).
That is word for word what I've been saying. Are we experiencing some strange cosmic bond today?
2006 KLR650
Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #46565
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Are we experiencing some strange cosmic bond today?
If so, you were just thinking about Adrienne Barbeau's giant tatas in Cannonball Run II.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #46566
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
If so, you were just thinking about Adrienne Barbeau's giant tatas in Cannonball Run II.
Well, that does it. I am cooking chicken breast in the oven. It's so wierd Let me know if you sudden disappointment as I check my dating site to see if I have an responses.
2006 KLR650
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #46567
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
I like her giant tatas in Escape from New York even better

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #46568
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
I'm on my 4th 705 radial rear on the Vee. I don't get a lot of life out of any rears, not like some people seem to, but the 705's do ok.. typically 4-5k and they're toast. I don't mind that so much, first because they're cheap but I like the tires performance a lot, they do better for me in the dirt and gravel than Tourances do at double the cost (and change).
I just put a radial rear on the GSA and am measuring/photographing it along the way. Curious if all the fury about chunking & delamination is just carry-over from the previous gen bias ply.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #46569
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
I believe it starts at 10:00.

I think there is a Sportsman's class that you can ride in if you don't want to race competitively.
Excuse my ignorance, but do the "sportsmen" bring up the rear or are they staged with the competivie riders? If in the rear my be the tiicket as I don't want to hold anyone up or get run over.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #46570
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but do the "sportsmen" bring up the rear or are they staged with the competivie riders? If in the rear my be the tiicket as I don't want to hold anyone up or get run over.
If they was smart they would put us sportsman first so when we fall down they can use us for traction.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #46571
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,024
The woodsmen (rookie) in harescrambles always went last so as not to create too much death and carnage

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #46572
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
I just put a radial rear on the GSA and am measuring/photographing it along the way. Curious if all the fury about chunking & delamination is just carry-over from the previous gen bias ply.
Heard that it was just the bias and others say both. I went to the Anakee 2 on the GSA and very happy with it. Much better traction and wear than the stock Torrances and I personally don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks on a tire for a bike that spends much of its time fully loaded and on the road for hours at a time. At this time in my life I reaslly don't need the excitment of a tire shredding at speed.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #46573
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
If they was smart they would put us sportsman first so when we fall down they can use us for traction.

and if he fell in the right spot BigOhio could provide one hell of a lot of traction

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #46574
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
and if he fell in the right spot BigOhio could provide one hell of a lot of traction
Or a very nice obstacle for a hero section.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #46575
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
What time does it start and is there a website that I can get more info on it? May go down and watch but don't think I'm up for riding a full-blown enduro as I'm still working on my confidence and its a pretty scary thought to just jump into something like that with no clue of what's going on. Anybody else going down to hang out and be a poser?
It starts on Kelly rd about 1.5 miles south of SR50. Kelly road is just west of Allensville a few miles.
The event starts promptly at 10. If you want to see anything, you might want to be there by 8:30 or 9:00.

Steve: this enduro isn't any harder that what you rode with us on the 450. Heck, it is probably easier than what we rode...
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote