ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #46606
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
thanks for everyones input, I've been shy om getting a set. I think I'll probably give 'em a try.
705 is all I run anymore, on both my V-Strom and Meredith's. They are a damn good tire for the money. My rear goes about 7k, front about 10k, but the front does cup really weird as mentioned by penner. I run them until the cord, or bits of steel, are showing, because I am a stupid, stupid, cheap, stupid man.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #46607
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
anyone ever been here? I was thinking about going here this weekend...

big rock off-road park

it's in maysville, ky and only 2.5 hours away from me and you columbus folks..
No.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #46608
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
No.
Well, if I had an off-road park in my back yard like you do, I wouldn't leave town either. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #46609
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Well, if I had an off-road park in my back yard like you do, I wouldn't leave town either. ;)
I've only ever been there a handful of times... 5 maybe. Most of those were with ADV guys. I prefer sliding around on the gravel and abandoned roads down here.

Speaking of, I just got a tip on a abandoned reservoir which is at the top of a hill, used to be used for a brick plant that shut down. Trails get you to the top, and once there, you can ride around the lip of the reservoir like the "wall of death" riders.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #46610
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Trails get you to the top, and once there, you can ride around the lip of the reservoir like the "wall of death" riders.

take me take me take me!!!!!

The mini version

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #46611
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Anyone ever been here? I was thinking about going here this weekend...

Big Rock Off-Road Park

It's in Maysville, KY and only 2.5 hours away from me and you Columbus folks..
Dang, I can't. I'll be replacing wheel bearings before I can ride dirt again (bearings are on order, not here yet)
Keep us posted, I'll go (as I'm sure you know)

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #46612
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
take me take me take me!!!!!

The mini version

I guess I will ask... I am not really clear on the inside foot being off the peg.

For sliding through corners I was told to always keep your feet on the pegs, and not drag a foot. Reason being that you don't want to upset the weighting of the pegs. However, I see a lot of guys dragging their inside foot, and of course you've got your flat track racers who do it, and then this guy with his whole leg forward.

Which is it? I understand riding sideways like that is different than sliding around upright on gravel, but I've been wondering and that video kind of reminded me to ask.

My technique for cornering on loose surfaces, which may be wrong as hell for all I know, is to accelerate and weight the outside peg and just kind of slide, letting the knobs dig in and do their thing. I keep my inside foot up and on the peg at all times, unless I really freak out and then instinct commands me to put it down, which I do, and a split second later I make myself put it back up.l

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #46613
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,980
Depends Mr Meef

If you're worried about front wheel traction, get your butt up on the tank and your leg cantilevered forward to transfer all your weight to the front.

Most guys will put a foot out to catch them if they start to fall, however most don't realize they'er going too fast to do any good. Off-road it's that same reasoning but also to keep your foot from getting snagged between the frame and a rut or similar land feature while leaned over.

My issue with the leg forward, my foot hits something and my knee cap tries to bend my bars out of the way (just ask Indy). Doesn't always work for long femurs! I learned after knee surgery to corner feet up but lately I've been working on corner speed and have had to revert back to foot forward

Sometimes traction is so good you don't need to

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #46614
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,774
Quote:
My issue with the leg forward, my foot hits something and my knee cap tries to bend my bars out of the way (just ask Indy). Doesn't always work for long femurs! I learned after knee surgery to corner feet up but lately I've been working on corner speed and have had to revert back to foot forward
Yup, leg-forward isn't good for guys with a long set of gams. On one of the vids I have, which might even be Dirtwise they talk about a modification for guys with bad knees and/or long legs, which is to raise your foot off the peg, and push your knee forward along the tank (basically the same as leg-forward but with your foot curled under).

I put mine forward on tight turns, and for quick cornering it absolutely helps to keep the front from washing but it's always in the back of my mind "if my foot grabs something, I'm getting wish-boned".

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #46615
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,040
Yeah all I can do is stick my leg out and bend my knee. Getting your leg stuck under the bike in a low side isn't fun, take my word.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #46616
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Saw a white Tiger 800 riding with a cruiser heading west on US-30 today between Lima and Van Wert. Anyone from here by chance?

MrFurious screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 08:38 PM
MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #46617
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Depends Mr Meef

If you're worried about front wheel traction, get your butt up on the tank and your leg cantilevered forward to transfer all your weight to the front.

Most guys will put a foot out to catch them if they start to fall, however most don't realize they'er going too fast to do any good. Off-road it's that same reasoning but also to keep your foot from getting snagged between the frame and a rut or similar land feature while leaned over.

Sometimes traction is so good you don't need to

lol, I can now see why that light got bent with your leg out like that. Man, that looks scary! All I can think about is breaking my leg... :(
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #46618
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
Hey Dox
You get a chance to see the sex stone that fell in Athens? I saw a little about it on the news.
Quote:
I rode down to Athens on wednesday to go to Jackie O's pub for a fish sammich and a couple craft beers (mmmmmm good) and got to talkin to someone there who told me about the rock (showed me a picture on his phone). after leaving the pub, I tried to ride over and have a look, but between the cops and the cleanup crew, I couldnt get within 100 feet of it...didnt even get a glimpse

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #46619
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

From last weekend in Indiana...

Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #46620
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,508
Looks like a fun riding, Rog...

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote