ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #46816
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
I'm in! Anyone else? Tomorrow afternoon?
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #46817
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,031
500 million...
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #46818
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
500 million...
It's mine, I have the ticket to prove it.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #46819
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
It's mine, I have the ticket to prove it.
Given the percentage of lottery winners who end up destitute and bankrupt , you can have it..
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #46820
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Given the percentage of lottery winners who end up destitute and bankrupt , you can have it..

I'm willing to take that risk...hell, if nothing else it would be one hell of a ride
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #46821
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Given the percentage of lottery winners who end up destitute and bankrupt , you can have it..
There's a saying that if you gave all the wealth of the rich to the very poorest people, in a single generation the wealth would be back in the hands of the former wealthy again.

Give someone with not a shred of experience handling money lots of it, and they do stupid things. When was the last time you heard about a lawyer or doctor hitting the lottery and ending up broke? Somehow they manage just fine, it's the unemployed guy living in an airstream that hits it and pisses it away...and who plays the most lottery? Airstream Charlie.

In any case, I'd like to have 500 million little problems to contend with. If you took half of the payout after taxes (probably $140 million or so) and stuck it in a VERY conservative investment portfolio, you would probably have several million per year in interest to live on, for the rest of your life. And, that's in addition to the other half you have to spend or live on, or invest....plus the $140 large that was your principal.

If you blow $500,000,000, you're one stupid SOB.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #46822
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
There's a saying that if you gave all the wealth of the rich to the very poorest people, in a single generation the wealth would be back in the hands of the former wealthy again.

Give someone with not a shred of experience handling money lots of it, and they do stupid things. When was the last time you heard about a lawyer or doctor hitting the lottery and ending up broke? Somehow they manage just fine, it's the unemployed guy living in an airstream that hits it and pisses it away...and who plays the most lottery? Airstream Charlie.

In any case, I'd like to have 500 million little problems to contend with. If you took half of the payout after taxes (probably $140 million or so) and stuck it in a VERY conservative investment portfolio, you would probably have several million per year in interest to live on, for the rest of your life. And, that's in addition to the other half you have to spend or live on, or invest....plus the $140 large that was your principal.

If you blow $500,000,000, you're one stupid SOB.
You ever read about Black-Hat Jack Whittaker in WV and what happened to his family after he hit it big? The guy's family is a living train wreck.

He was already wealthy prior to winning the country's largest jackpot, but even after his wealth was increased by a factor of 20x, the whole thing went sideways. His daughter, granddaughter and granddaughter's boyfriend have all died from drug OD, been sued numerous times, had half a million in cash (!!!) robbed from his vehicle (at a strip club ) and various other oddities.

Being close to the WV border, we still hear about him occasionally on the news, even though it's been probably 8 or 10 years since he hit the jackpot.



There was an old story floating around about the time he got arrested for DUI and told the cops he had "not yet begun to drink!" And how at his DUI trial he accused them of targeting him but not finding the murderer that killed his grand daughter.
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #46823
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,934
I think there should be an experiment on this whole who does well with money thing. So give me the 500 mill and we'll see how I do.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #46824
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I think there should be an experiment on this whole who does well with money thing. So give me the 500 mill and we'll see how I do.

I'd spend $100 million on motorcycles and sports cars and high priced call girls

the rest I'd waste on stupid stuff
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #46825
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
i'd spend $100 million on motorcycles and sports cars and high priced call girls

the rest i'd waste on stupid stuff
+1...
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #46826
mmc45414
Adventurer
 
mmc45414's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: SW Ohio / Dayton Area
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I think there should be an experiment on this whole who does well with money thing. So give me the 500 mill and we'll see how I do.
I think I remember that movie, we can wager one dollar...
mmc45414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #46827
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I'd spend $100 million on motorcycles and sports cars and high priced call girls

the rest I'd waste on stupid stuff
See you're already doing it wrong. Only 100 million? Cheap ass. You'd probably have a garage full of used KLRs.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #46828
Solace
Studly Adventurer
 
Solace's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: CMH, OH
Oddometer: 891
I think it was comedian Ron White who said "You can't fix Stupid!"

So is the next drawing for the big lotto on Friday night? For 500M I'll buy a ticket. What do I ask for - is it the Mega Millions or something else?

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #46829
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I think it was comedian Ron White who said "You can't fix Stupid!"

So is the next drawing for the big lotto on Friday night? For 500M I'll buy a ticket. What do I ask for - is it the Mega Millions or something else?

Later,
M
Mega Millions. But why play? I said it's mine.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #46830
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts
 
GailCallsMeKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tioga, Texas
Oddometer: 834
Welder?

So I tend to dream big.....and sometimes it gets me in over my head. (my favorite modern artist always says to "fake it til you make it" well - I'm there!!)

I submitted a proposal for a public art work grant and it got accepted!

The problem - it involves welding and I don't weld!

So I can either a) learn or b) hire someone talented to do the actual welding of the work.

I actually do want to learn to weld at some point but I'm thinking a public sculpture on Broad St isn't where I want to test my skills. I'm going to toss the job to the ADV community first - any of you know how to weld and want a cool side gig? The grant will pay you. And you will be able to see your work as public art!

The piece - life size horse made of old street signs (I'm getting access to the ODOT salvage sign yard - how cool is that???? Trying to find as many US 40/National Rd signs as possible) Horse will appear to be like a carriage horse tied to a modern day parking meter. He'll probably be on a sidewalk but I'm trying like hell to have them put him in the street. I can pound and bend steel all day, I just need a welder to stick stuff where I want it to go. It will take place this summer, I think the opening day/deadline is Sept 8. The grant just got awarded so there's still a lot of details to work out. I don't know the exact compound of the signs at this point.
__________________
"....the poster child for "Bike-Fu for Women", self defense techniques on the trail." ~ Danjal

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014