ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #47011
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,943
If any of you 990 owners need lower tank guards, I'm cleaning out the garage

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post18364990

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #47012
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
unfortunately the 426 is still so far above my riding ability I'm better off on the KLR or 950. Since it looks like it will never sell for close to the amount it's worth I'm waiting for some extra $$$ to appear so I can try some mods to make it tight trail compatible. I'd love to find a bike like BigOhio's that has a better power band and magic button.
Love the 450, hardly worked up a sweat yesterday. Maybe had a few extra shifts but never felt underpowered for my size or ability. When you have a few $$$ you don't know what to do with, I have a spare 525XC just itching for a dual sport kit that I may be willing to part with, especially if the 450 happens to turn into a 540.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #47013
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Love the 450, hardly worked up a sweat yesterday. Maybe had a few extra shifts but never felt underpowered for my size or ability. When you have a few $$$ you don't know what to do with, I have a spare 525XC just itching for a dual sport kit that I may be willing to part with, especially if the 450 happens to turn into a 540.
Been thinking about a 450EXC down the road. Pretty suitable for a big guy, eh? Yours all stock still, or have you changed anything for ergonomics / comfort for a tall fella?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #47014
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Well, I didn't have to work today so I went to my neighbors farm where he said I could take down a big tree to make some practice log crossings. Tree is down, a 100 yard path into the woods to get the tractor in is cut and I was to tired to even get the logs.
Maybe tomorrow, if I do I'll post some pics. Should make for a good practice setup for a summer get together out here.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #47015
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Oooooo I'm intrigued!

So, momentum, and loft the front wheel so the back tire is what make the main impact with the log. And hit the log straight on. That sound about on par? I've run into a few situations where I've needed to do it, but I'm always alone, and trying something like this for the first time alone in the middle of nowhere just doesn't seem wise. Probably one of those things that's not difficult once you do it a couple times.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #47016
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
The 540 kit is really nice.... I may do that again or even a 570 to one of mine...
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #47017
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Oooooo I'm intrigued!

So, momentum, and loft the front wheel so the back tire is what make the main impact with the log. And hit the log straight on. That sound about on par? I've run into a few situations where I've needed to do it, but I'm always alone, and trying something like this for the first time alone in the middle of nowhere just doesn't seem wise. Probably one of those things that's not difficult once you do it a couple times.
Everything I know I learned from others and then fine tuned it for my use. Obviously the surface your on makes a difference as does engine power and gear your in. I'm about 75%-85% for crossing successfully using this technique. I still have issues with slippery logs, multiple logs in a row or over sized logs. I hope these practice logs will help with that.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #47018
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Oooooo I'm intrigued!

You don't make the rear-wheel the first contact ideally, and in fact too much momentum + rear wheel hitting the log can buck the rear of the bike up and you over it if your body position is bad.

The most important part is getting the front tire enough over the log so that it doesn't jam down and into it - for this it's a size thing. If the log is under the height of the front tire's half-height (radius), you don't need any loft. The bigger the log gets, the higher the loft...until you might start contacting the log with either the skid plate, or in some cases the rear tire...but for that to be necessary you're talking a HUGE log, like 40" round.

Watch this clip...notice that he lofts to get up to tackle the whole obstacle (starting with the smallish log in the front) but the front wheel actually touches the small log and the bigger log pile. You don't need to loft the front wheel over any obstacle, you need it to be high enough to roll easily over it (and this is preferable because it maintains stability).

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #47019
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The most important part is getting the front tire enough over the log so that it doesn't jam down and into it - for this it's a size thing.
Good point.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #47020
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Been thinking about a 450EXC down the road. Pretty suitable for a big guy, eh? Yours all stock still, or have you changed anything for ergonomics / comfort for a tall fella?
Had the suspension redone for my ample weight and added some smallish bar risers. Probably could use some more rise and/or pegs lowered a bit for more comfort when standing. We won't talk about my a$$, but the front of my thighs are a little sore and think that may have come from a little too much bend when sitting (not from being too fat and out of shape). One of the bikes came with an EE tall seat so that may go on for the next ride and see if that helps a little.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #47021
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
The 540 kit is really nice.... I may do that again or even a 570 to one of mine...
You are such a bad influence! I sure do like the way the 525 lofts the front end and heck a 540 shouldn't be much more than that. Now that I look at it the 570 kit isn't much more $$$ so maybe...No, No, No, keep telling self, the 450 is more than enough bike for your ability and more than that will only serve to get you in over your head much faster.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #47022
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
You are such a bad influence! I sure do like the way the 525 lofts the front end and heck a 540 shouldn't be much more than that. Now that I look at it the 570 kit isn't much more $$$ so maybe...No, No, No, keep telling self, the 450 is more than enough bike for your ability and more than that will only serve to get you in over your head much faster.
Steve just buy a 640 or 690se and get it over with. Oh, wait.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #47023
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
The 525 is actually a 510cc. The 540 kit is pretty nice. It will add some heat to the rig though.. If you do decide on one, I'd go with the Thumper racing kit. The OEM KTM kit has the head bolts submerged in coolant, whereas the TR kit doesn't. Plus the TR kit is a LOT cheaper.

I haven't tried the 570 yet, but I sure am tempted...
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #47024
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Steve just buy a 640 or 690se and get it over with. Oh, wait.
Thanks for reminding me. When around Motodirtlover or just thinking of a big bore kit for the 450, set the FI map to "Power" and take the 690 out in the mud to play. There all better, no more thoughts of a big bore kit, until next time.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #47025
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,487
This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote