ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #47131
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 840
trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Perry was fun today. That was about as dry as I have seen it. Looks like they did alot of work this spring fixing some of the deep mud holes on the main trails. Heres the only picture I took all day. Mike picking another GOOD LINE. By the way Mike your fork seal is leaking.

you guys need to stay off the marked trails, they have some single track at perry you just have to look for it.
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #47132
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Jeesh, we all got stuck in the mud a couple times... I guess I was just the only one to get photographed. Awesome ride today. I enjoyed every minute of it... my bike didn't as much. As Alan so kindly pointed out a half dozen times... I blew a fork seal. My back tire's also diminishing much quicker then expected. The bike has 6k miles on it now, the rear tire only about 1800 (2 months). This same tire is made by three different companies, and I thought the Shinko version (Golden Boy 244) was supposed to last the longest, maybe I was wrong? It'll last to 3k miles, but it'll be about bald. We'll see I guess.

Anyway:

Lost a hand guard bolt along the way... handy trailside repair

See, Alan picks poor lines sometimes too

Where Alan is standing up top is where Matt went all crazy wheelie flip over backwards to the left. From the top of his wheelying bike, to the bottom of that gorge, Matt landed on his side in the leaves in front of his front tire. It was every bit of a 15 foot uninterrupted fall. It was spectacular. I thought for sure he'd have a shoulder problem, but he jumped right up.

And a required post-Perry hose down

What an awesome ride! And Perry is only an hour form my house... so I will be back.

Now... to fix my puking fork seal
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #47133
jonny2g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Pending where you are,I'm only about 10 miles from Holmes as the Crow flies (Western Stark)

Depends on what year it is. Pre 83-84 "R" model had better suspension than the Post 84-85 "R" model. They took old old motor stuffed it in the new frame then shortened the suspension. If you have one of the RFVC 200's, those were way faster than the 2 valvers but the brakes sucked.

It started as a 1983 XR200. Not the 200r. So butt ugly dual shocks in rear( slightly bent), leading shoe front and rear breaks and other assorted afro engineering.
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #47134
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
you guys need to stay off the marked trails, they have some single track at perry you just have to look for it.
We rode alot more than the marked trails, just only stopped for pictures when someone was stuck.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #47135
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,030
Wow, it was dry, the last time I was there I rode the 950 up those falls and there was water coming down both sides and the creek was about 6" deep or more. I killed the battery and tried to bump start back down them but it didn't work. Let it sit for a while and it fired up and got the hell out of there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #47136
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2g View Post
It started as a 1983 XR200. Not the 200r. So butt ugly dual shocks in rear( slightly bent), leading shoe front and rear breaks and other assorted afro engineering.

I had a '81 XL185 with pretty close to the same frame and suspension set up. Wish I still had that thing.

There is a chance (slight) that I have a set of shocks from an XL125 in the garage. If they are still there, they are free. You can put your springs on them if they'll work.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #47137
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Laugh

Time for a change.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #47138
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Need some advice first before I get in over my head( a habbit of mine). Im 5'-6" 31"inseam and want to get a bike I can handle/learn on. Prob. no less than 450cc motor as I would also like to do some off road camping. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Jon

Man, I came on here about 6 months ago with nearly an identical post. I was looking at a 450cc dual sport, wanting to get into offroad riding. I wanted to ride with these guys, and wanted the capabilities of doing the TAT with camping gear, or even just camping weekends off road in WV or similar.

I was flabbergasted when folks suggested a 250cc bike... but I began researching, and found they were on to something!

For a lightish weight person, who can pack light, a good 250 will do anything a bigger bike can do, and a bit more.

I ended up narrowing it down something like this:

First place) WR250R
Tied for Second) KLX250S and DRZ400
Other Contenders) DR650, and the other 250's (klr, xt, crf)

I ended up lucking into my first choice, a WR250R, and I couldn't be happier (except my newly blown fork seal). I put a luggage rack on it, and it needs a bigger gas tank (I'll probably just do the 3 gallon one), and it'll be ready for any weekend trip I could throw at it.

It'll happily cruise all day long at a true 65 MPH, and it'll top out up near 90 mph.

If you're not going to get into anything technical, the DRZ400 or DR650 are both solid bikes, but... just one good ride with Meef and friends up northeast, or Luke and friends down southeast, and you'll wish you went with a smaller bike.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #47139
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

I thought for sure he'd have a shoulder problem, but he jumped right up.
I have the makings of a palm size bruise on my back around my left shoulder.

Quote:

What an awesome ride! And Perry is only an hour form my house... so I will be back.

Now... to fix my puking fork seal
Just about an hour for me too, it was actually less than 50 miles from Somerset to home for me.

Oh, your fork seal is leaking....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #47140
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Looks like Alan, Matt and Mike had a fun day...wish I could have joined in...but I'll have some fun tomorrow out at Casa Buildit and the RR bed.

on the bike front, I found a way to power my dual sport light kit off the stock stator (required only a $3.50 rectifier and a $13 SLA battery and some time spent wiring it all up). Whoooohooo...now I dont have to worry about charging up the damned battery for the lights, or having the battery crap out and then having no signal and brake lights.

if anyone out there is interested in how its done, look here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/867...-the-tusk-kit/

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #47141
jonny2g
Adventurer

This is the XR 200 I built about 2yrs ago. Looks cool, but is like riding a turd.[/IMG]

S**t cant figure how to attach pics.[/QUOTE]

Why cant I post pics from my photobucket acc?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #47142
jonny2g
Adventurer

Quote:
This is the XR 200 I built about 2yrs ago. Looks cool, but is like riding a turd.[/IMG]

S**t cant figure how to attach pics.

Why cant I post pics from my photobucket acc?[/QUOTE]

jonny2g screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 06:58 PM Reason: figured it out
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #47143
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Hi, from Holmes co. Been lurking for a while, reading, dreaming, drooling.... Been riding for the 8yrs, mostly street, some off road. Found I now have a lot of time on my hands and would like to do some duel sporting. Need some advice first before I get in over my head( a habbit of mine). Im 5'-6" 31"inseam and want to get a bike I can handle/learn on. Prob. no less than 450cc motor as I would also like to do some off road camping. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Jon
Welcome, I'm in T-County, spend a lotta time in Holmes.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #47144
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:

cool looking bike...it looks VERY light...would be excellent for trail riding

I know someone who has (had?) a Sherpa 250 for sale. I've ridden the bike and while its no WR250R, its a very capable bike that would be a good beginner trail bike, but is also street legal and able to do 70 mph (indicated...prolly more like 65).

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #47145
jonny2g
Adventurer

Quote:
Why cant I post pics from my photobucket acc?

[/QUOTE]
Here is what I ended up with. 85 yz125 front end, XR 200 motor,tank and frame, 95 yz 125 rear end and misc parts from other bikes.