ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #47266
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The aluminum one from Discountramps.com is a good choice if you can't find one...$125 IIRC. I've used mine hard and often, and it's been rock solid, never an issue. Heck, it even survived being rear-ended...punched a hole in the guy's truck and barely scratched the I-beam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
That's the one I have too, I have no complaints either. If you go that route Dox, I got mine new on Ebay for just over $105.
Thanks, that sounds like a good option that may even be lower cost than HF. Does the one you two use have an anti-sway doohickey that clamps down on the receiver?
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #47267
jonny2g
Adventurer
 
jonny2g's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Friggn Amish Country
Oddometer: 84
Noob Question

Ok, yah Im a noob at off road riding. Well kinda, so what protective gear have you found have you foud that works here in Ohio? IE with humidity, I dont like sweating my nuts off in summer. The older I get the longer it takes to heal. The last couple of years I have started wearing more equipment, but my last spill showed where all my week spots were. 45min. into the day and I was done for the year. Let me know what you have found that works/you like and price, kinda on a tight budget right now.
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #47268
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer
 
QUICKDRAW's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Lewis Center, OH
Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Thanks, that sounds like a good option that may even be lower cost than HF. Does the one you two use have an anti-sway doohickey that clamps down on the receiver?
Its a separate piece, it will work on any class 3 hitch. Doesn't come with it.
__________________
-Shawn

....Don't get complacent!
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #47269
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2g View Post
Ok, yah Im a noob at off road riding. Well kinda, so what protective gear have you found have you foud that works here in Ohio? IE with humidity, I dont like sweating my nuts off in summer. The older I get the longer it takes to heal. The last couple of years I have started wearing more equipment, but my last spill showed where all my week spots were. 45min. into the day and I was done for the year. Let me know what you have found that works/you like and price, kinda on a tight budget right now.
I'm fairly new as well, but this is my warm weather setup:
Breathable over-the-boot dirt bike pants with hip padding
Knee/Shin Guards
Good boots
Axo Air-Cage mesh pressure suit
Breathable shirt/jersey over that
Breathable dirt bike gloves
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #47270
Rich B
Studly Adventurer
 
Rich B's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Stone Creek, OH
Oddometer: 554
Meef sez:

"Aren't you in Greater Uzbekistan still? "

No place exotic like Greater Uzbekistan....just Helmstedt Germany today and tomorrow. Passua on Thursday. They do have internet here though
__________________
LIfe is too short to drink bad beer!
Rich B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #47271
jonny2g
Adventurer
 
jonny2g's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Friggn Amish Country
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I'm fairly new as well, but this is my warm weather setup:
Breathable over-the-boot dirt bike pants with hip padding
Knee/Shin Guards
Good boots
Axo Air-Cage mesh pressure suit
Breathable shirt/jersey over that
Breathable dirt bike gloves

Nice, thats what I talking about. Looks very workable yet comfy enough to wear all day. Thanks
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #47272
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2g View Post
Ok, yah Im a noob at off road riding. Well kinda, so what protective gear have you found have you foud that works here in Ohio? IE with humidity, I dont like sweating my nuts off in summer. The older I get the longer it takes to heal. The last couple of years I have started wearing more equipment, but my last spill showed where all my week spots were. 45min. into the day and I was done for the year. Let me know what you have found that works/you like and price, kinda on a tight budget right now.
In hot weather, as everyone told me for years of my bitching , the key is to keep moving. Knowing that a full face dirt bike helmet, mesh upper body armor, no gauntlet semi mesh gloves, moto x pants and boots. Protection is not cheap but sounds like you've learned neither are doctors.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #47273
jonny2g
Adventurer
 
jonny2g's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Friggn Amish Country
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
In hot weather, as everyone told me for years of my bitching , the key is to keep moving. Knowing that a full face dirt bike helmet, mesh upper body armor, no gauntlet semi mesh gloves, moto x pants and boots. Protection is not cheap but sounds like you've learned neither are doctors.

Too bullheaded to go to the doctor: broken nose, black eyes, bruised left knee, right leg black and blue knee to ancle, bruised ribs. That was with chest protector, helmet, knee/shin guards and leather work boots. The worst part that hurt the most, it was the the first time the wife came out to watch me and the kids ride. Her first responce was"The next time your gonna do something SOOO stupid, let me know so I can get it on vid." I wasnt even showing off, just comming down a large hill and the front end washed out on me. Felt like a dumbass!
P.S. She is now the soon to be X.
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #47274
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,935
Well accidents happen and no gear will protect you from everything. I had all the right gear on when I broke my leg and ripped all the ligaments in my ankle. But it begs the question, "How much worse would it have been without the right gear?" Summer riding introduces a factor much worse than not wearing gear, exhaustion. Then you get frustrated and make stupid mistakes which just feeds the frustration. So being in good physical and mental shape is the other end of the equation.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #47275
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer
 
MrFurious's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Ahh yes, yet another channel I don't get from TWC. Well...I could get it if I wanted to spend an extra $5.95/month for the Sports Pass. Not like they don't already bend me over at $100/month for digital cable and RoadRunner.

Can't watch Cafe Racer TV on the Velocity channel either which really ticks me off.
__________________
Jim B.


MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #47276
jonny2g
Adventurer
 
jonny2g's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Friggn Amish Country
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Well accidents happen and no gear will protect you from everything. I had all the right gear on when I broke my leg and ripped all the ligaments in my ankle. But it begs the question, "How much worse would it have been without the right gear?" Summer riding introduces a factor much worse than not wearing gear, exhaustion. Then you get frustrated and make stupid mistakes which just feeds the frustration. So being in good physical and mental shape is the other end of the equation.

Define good mental sha........Oh nevermind
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #47277
S2P
Studly Adventurer
 
S2P's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Doylestown OH-IO
Oddometer: 647
Dox,
Summit racing carries the Rage ramps which is the same as Discount ramps.I copied a link hopefully it works,looks like they are on sale now for $115.00. I checked on one a couple of weeks ago,but didn't go back to get it yet.They had something like 15 at the Tallmadge store from what I remember.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RRR-AMC-400/
__________________
Someone started putting names on lunches here at work...Today I had a tuna sandwich named "Kevin"...it was delicious!-craigman

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #47278
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2g View Post
Too bullheaded to go to the doctor: broken nose, black eyes, bruised left knee, right leg black and blue knee to ancle, bruised ribs.
Who was your riding buddy, Ike Turner?
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." - DBT

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #47279
danielst
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Laurelville, OH
Oddometer: 26
Renfro

Any of the Tar Hollow boys planning to ride Renfro (May 5/6). Always heard it was an excellent ride and thought I'd head down and at least ride on Saturday.

http://www.volunteerriders.com/Menu/...yDualSport.pdf

Travis
danielst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #47280
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BigOhio's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Muskrat Castle
Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Anybody have a moto hitch hauler they want to get rid of?

I have one I would sell for $150 or make me an offier. See the link below for the details. Only used a couple of times and the dust and dirt is free. Should also have the anti-sway bracket with it.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...ts/SMC600.html
__________________
Ouch, that hurts...

BigOhio screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 04:17 PM
BigOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014