ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #47281
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2g View Post
Ok, yah Im a noob at off road riding. Well kinda, so what protective gear have you found have you foud that works here in Ohio? IE with humidity, I dont like sweating my nuts off in summer. The older I get the longer it takes to heal. The last couple of years I have started wearing more equipment, but my last spill showed where all my week spots were. 45min. into the day and I was done for the year. Let me know what you have found that works/you like and price, kinda on a tight budget right now.
I've found that when it's hot and humid off-road, accelerated velocity, i.e. - faster helps the cooling process. Yet, at the same time, it compounds the injury levels in the case of a 'mis-hap'. . . Off-road, I'm ATGATT (all of the gear, all of the time), I don't believe there's a sound argument against it (let the onslaught begin. . . ). But, when you're entire body is covered short of a little opening to insert the trach in my neck you're going to SWEAT. And after you've sweated out last night's Yeungling's - it's best to stay hydrated, continuously.

A reasonable summation - the helmet, gloves, knee-pads and, always, moto X boots cover the your most useful extremities. Other than that, if you get thrown down into the ground at 25 mph, you're going to get beat up (as I later read that you did). You fall down, sh*t hurts!

One thing that I did do was take the cheapest jersey I had, cut a mess of 2" holes in it to breath, and then wear that over a chest protector.

Regarding equipment on a budget, keep a steady eye on the GEAR section of ADV site, then select EQUIPMENT. Lot's of bargains if you're patient. A lot of guys cleaning out the garage, up-grading or out-growing their gear. And when you spot it - BUY IT - as it will be gone 30 minutes later.

Good luck with the riding, can't help you with the heat (or the soon to be Ex)....
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 05:15 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #47282
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2g View Post
Ok, yah Im a noob at off road riding. Well kinda, so what protective gear have you found have you foud that works here in Ohio? IE with humidity, I dont like sweating my nuts off in summer. The older I get the longer it takes to heal. The last couple of years I have started wearing more equipment, but my last spill showed where all my week spots were. 45min. into the day and I was done for the year. Let me know what you have found that works/you like and price, kinda on a tight budget right now.
I would go to Iron Pony and see what they have on clearance. I picked up a Alpinestars jacked with liner for $120 (list was like $269) and I think I paid around 100 for my lid.
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #47283
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielst View Post
Any of the Tar Hollow boys planning to ride Renfro (May 5/6). Always heard it was an excellent ride and thought I'd head down and at least ride on Saturday.

http://www.volunteerriders.com/Menu/...yDualSport.pdf

Travis
Sounds like food for thought - went back country down around London / Renfro some time ago and it WAS GREAT RIDING. I heard recently that some if it is not available, but that shouldn't affect the Dual Sport.

Now I'll start thinking. . . .
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #47284
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
Sounds like food for thought - went back country down around London / Renfro some time ago and it WAS GREAT RIDING. I heard recently that some if it is not available, but that shouldn't affect the Dual Sport.

Now I'll start thinking. . . .
Never been to Renfro yet mainly because it is a bit far for a day trip. I'm going to try and do a garage sale this weekend anyways as the KTM is off for some professional maintenance.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #47285
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !
 
ohioroadrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Oddometer: 1,608
DS ride

I`ve done Renfro Valley many times. Always a good ride if they still use the same stuff. You will be ready for bed at the end of the day. One of the better ones.
__________________
The second slowest rider in district 11.
Time spent riding is not deducted from one`s lifespan.
ohioroadrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #47286
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post

You will be ready for bed at the end of the day. One of the better ones.

Leave the 950 at home then?
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #47287
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Badjuju's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: ...your girlfriend's bedroom
Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Anybody have a moto hitch hauler they want to get rid of?
Here ya go. CL is your friend. Some cheap...some not so!

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2949560973.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2945108640.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2933439179.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2914328446.html
__________________
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #47288
jonny2g
Adventurer
 
jonny2g's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Friggn Amish Country
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I would go to Iron Pony and see what they have on clearance. I picked up a Alpinestars jacked with liner for $120 (list was like $269) and I think I paid around 100 for my lid.

Yep, plan on doing that here soon. Thanks
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #47289
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,038
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #47290
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BigOhio's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Muskrat Castle
Oddometer: 463
Nice video, not enough film of me pulling wheelies, jumping ravines, climbing rocks, etc. but I guess we just have all the fun at the back of the pack.

[QUOTE=indypup;18428764]/QUOTE]
__________________
Ouch, that hurts...
BigOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #47291
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !
 
ohioroadrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Leave the 950 at home then?
Light bike is best. Deep water crossings, rocks, lots of privet land ridden only once a year....if they still do it that way.
__________________
The second slowest rider in district 11.
Time spent riding is not deducted from one`s lifespan.
ohioroadrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #47292
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,038
[QUOTE=BigOhio;18429224]Nice video, not enough film of me pulling wheelies, jumping ravines, climbing rocks, etc. but I guess we just have all the fun at the back of the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
/QUOTE]
lol, I think Bob passed me several times just so he could be in the video more.
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #47293
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Leave the 950 at home then?
YES!

I was really wishing I was on something lighter than my 400 RXC when I went down for it. If you are going to make the drive, I'd go for both days. It is based out of the KOA and getting one of their little cabins is worth it, especially if it rains. They might be all sold out by now, though. We got absolutely drenched in 2010 and having a dry place with a porch at night was great.

Some of the enduro loops are definitely A loops. Twice, the sweep crew caught me and helped me throug a section. On the first day they caught up to a group of about ten of us trying to make it up a nasty climb. On day two, we got a late start after sleeping through the riders meeting and still needing to swap tubes in my rear tire The sweep crew pulled out a couple minutes behind us. They caught up to me near the end of the day on a nasty, slick, off camber section where I kept sliding down into trees and a creek with a bunch of deadfall in it. We missed the last hard section because they strongly suggested that I not take it.

On day two they had to skip a bunch of the sections because they were flooded.

They also ran into a surprise enforcement from the forest service who turned up along the route to make sure that the bikes were legally plated. It was a dualsport checkpoint in the woods where a trail section crossed a road. If you go, make sure you are legal.

Here is a good, but long video of the 2010 ride.
http://contour.com/stories/renfro-valley-dual-sport-ride

If this ride is still being run when I get another off road bike, I'm going again for sure.
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA

rxcrider screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 07:27 AM
rxcrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #47294
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
[QUOTE=indypup;18429937]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Nice video, not enough film of me pulling wheelies, jumping ravines, climbing rocks, etc. but I guess we just have all the fun at the back of the pack.



lol, I think Bob passed me several times just so he could be in the video more.
Passing - you know what they say, if you ain't the lead sled dog, the scenery never changes. . .

Nice video - I thought the soundtrack fit well. The trails look more cobby in the vid than I remember - it was a great ride! Good temp, I'll take wet over dust anytime. Light up that back wheel!

Luke, put a knobby on that pig! It is designed to destroy tires - it's the price of doin' bidness. Roger, thanks for putting the time into the editing - good job, thanks Luke for being Trail Boss! Might need to work in a gas stop, I got back with about a pint left, but I could've have gassed in South Bloomingville.

Let's do it again (soon!).
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #47295
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !
 
ohioroadrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
YES!

I was really wishing I was on something lighter than my 400 RXC when I went down for it. If you are going to make the drive, I'd go for both days. It is based out of the KOA and getting one of their little cabins is worth it, especially if it rains. They might be all sold out by now, though. We got absolutely drenched in 2010 and having a dry place with a porch at night was great.

Some of the enduro loops are definitely A loops. Twice, the sweep crew caught me and helped me throug a section. On the first day they caught up to a group of about ten of us trying to make it up a nasty climb. On day two, we got a late start after sleeping through the riders meeting and still needing to swap tubes in my rear tire The sweep crew pulled out a couple minutes behind us. They caught up to me near the end of the day on a nasty, slick, off camber section where I kept sliding down into trees and a creek with a bunch of deadfall in it. We missed the last hard section because they strongly suggested that I not take it.

On day two they had to skip a bunch of the sections because they were flooded.

They also ran into a surprise enforcement from the forest service who turned up along the route to make sure that the bikes were legally plated. It was a dualsport checkpoint in the woods where a trail section crossed a road. If you go, make sure you are legal.

Here is a good, but long video of the 2010 ride.
http://contour.com/stories/renfro-valley-dual-sport-ride

If this ride is still being run when I get another off road bike, I'm going again for sure.
I rode it about 6 times. Being a loner,I always left in the middle of the riders meeting to get out front of everyone. One year when I arrived at lunch I couldn`t understand how so many people were already there. Turns out they cut out about 20 mile because of high water.High water indeed !!! I nearly got swept away on two of the crossings. If I had been on anything but my 300 EXC (which was very water tight) I`m sure I would still be there pumping water or worse yet,I might have drown.So stay for the riders meeting even though they are very long winded. This is one DS that is like an untimed enduro !!! If you like a good workout,this one is for you.
__________________
The second slowest rider in district 11.
Time spent riding is not deducted from one`s lifespan.
ohioroadrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014