ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #47476
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Good catch, reported.
Thanks - he's outta here.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #47477
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I sent the guy an e mail back telling him no dice unless there are papers, and informed him of the law.

we'll see where this goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Thanks - he's outta here.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #47478
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,109
There is a number to call at the DMV concerning buying an in state vehicle with no title and a bill of sale. I may call tomorrow and see what they say about the deal.

I did once get a new title with a 71 Chevelle, took it to the OSHP inspection station, he ground the paint off a number on the firewall I had no idea was there, ran it, and gave me the forms to get a title...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #47479
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
The BMV does have a process for obtaining a court ordered title. You send a letter and any evidence of ownership to the bmw in Columbus, they review it, and MAY give you documents to take and have signed by a judge ordering the local clerk of court to issue a title. The operative words are MAY GIVE. It is very doubtful that after they search the V.I.N. and find a title is in the system that they will issue the court order.
muddyrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #47480
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
I have 3 bikes in my garage. that have screwed up titles and are pretty much boat anchors. It sucks. None of them are very expensive, so it is not a huge deal, but according to the Title peopel in both OH & TN I will never get a title for them.

I guess some day I can do the whole petition for a title with a judge, but that seems like a giant PIA.

All of these bikes had "clear title in hand" when I drove hours and hours to buy them. Of course there was always a story when I arrived.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #47481
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Any of them older than 2000?

What are they?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #47482
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Try this one, my sales rep from our main distributor has a perfectly good street legal 2006 KTM. Bought it from a guy in Indiana who was the original owner and never used it on the street, so he never tried to plate it. Somehow the original owner managed to get it out of the dealership with the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin instead of the title. My rep got the NOTARIZED M.C.O. with the bike. He can't get a title for it! Ohio says the MCO must be converted to a title by Indiana since it is a street legal vehicle and that it where it was originally sold. Indiana says they can only do that for the original owner, and that it never should have left the dealership. He lost the contact info for the seller, and the dealership is gone. He is also tight with people at KTM USA and they can't help him.

Nice bike, looks great in his garage.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #47483
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Back on the subject of the Burr Oak ORV trails, somehow I totally missed this in the local newspaper:

http://www.athensnews.com/ohio/artic...questions.html

We actually have a researcher in my building working on the impact of the graded ORV trails at Wayne. Might pick her brain about it if I see her around the building this week.

The above article is pretty heavily slanted, obviously the guy isn't using the ORV trails. Something he probably didn't consider is the fact that they had to close the Burr Oak Lodge for a while due to lack of funds. This put 40 people out of work, and the lodge traffic & income have declined by half in the last ten years.

Regardless of the UTV/ATV/MC debate, ultimately more trails is always good, and reopening that lodge may be a happy side-effect of the trails coming into existence.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #47484
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I sent the guy an e mail back telling him no dice unless there are papers, and informed him of the law.

we'll see where this goes...

Not to knock a guys choice of bike, but is a klx300 a good candidate to make street legal? I would think that even with sprocket changes either the motor would scream at 60 mph or first gear would be very tall in the woods. I'm a big fan of factory-street-legal bikes like the klx250s, wr250r, or drz400 for their longevity and simplicity. The fun is riding, not oil changes, rebuilds, and electrical gremlins. Just my opinion so feel free to think otherwise.-Mike

blackdiamondmike screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 08:51 AM
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #47485
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Try this one, my sales rep from our main distributor has a perfectly good street legal 2006 KTM. Bought it from a guy in Indiana who was the original owner and never used it on the street, so he never tried to plate it. Somehow the original owner managed to get it out of the dealership with the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin instead of the title. My rep got the NOTARIZED M.C.O. with the bike. He can't get a title for it! Ohio says the MCO must be converted to a title by Indiana since it is a street legal vehicle and that it where it was originally sold. Indiana says they can only do that for the original owner, and that it never should have left the dealership. He lost the contact info for the seller, and the dealership is gone. He is also tight with people at KTM USA and they can't help him.

Nice bike, looks great in his garage.

I pretty much have that same thing with a 2003 Yamaha Zuma.

I was in Memphis and bought a nice Zuma through an eBay store in Little Rock. They had and the correct "paperwork"

In AR you do not need a plate for a 50cc scooter so they paid the sales tax on the dealer invoice but never turned the MSO (which is in their name) into a title.

I have no way, at least in OH & TN to turn that MSO into a title. The original owner must do that...there is no incentive for them to do this.

I also have a 94 Kaw KE100 & a 72 Honda Trail 90 with what they call jumped titles....both situations were long drives to people that had "title in hand".....fuck that! Both titles were made out to the previous owners and signed over to the current ones....neither of the current owners had a new title made in their name. Again both OH & TN say I'm screwed without help from the seller.

My fault.......NEVER making a long drive like that again until I see a photograph of the title in the current owners name.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #47486
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

I guess some day I can do the whole petition for a title with a judge, but that seems like a giant PIA.

That sucks, you may want to just try. My 2000 TE410 with out of state MSO cost me about $40 and gas down town to the judge, she signed it and made 2 people very happy. You won't see the judge (unless it's stolen), just the court officials. Mostly as Muddy has stated in the past, it's educating the people in the system that rarely deal with the issue and would rather plead ignorant, which for some, isn't too hard

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #47487
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,298
MikeF, you gonna make your weekly appeal for riding buddies for tomorrow? I am off.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #47488
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
That sucks, you may want to just try. My 2000 TE410 with out of state MSO cost me about $40 and gas down town to the judge, she signed it and made 2 people very happy. You won't see the judge (unless it's stolen), just the court officials. Mostly as Muddy has stated in the past, it's educating the people in the system that rarely deal with the issue and would rather plead ignorant, which for some, isn't too hard
I get your point, but the truth of the matter is that is a very low priority. If I were going to take time off of work I have about a million other more pressing things to do than that. I work normal business hours+

I struggle to get phone calls into my local government offices, they are open so few hours each week. They are very busy and I always have to leave a message, perhaps they would less slammed if they took calls more than 20 hours a week.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #47489
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
MikeF, you gonna make your weekly appeal for riding buddies for tomorrow? I am off.

I may be game, I have to go to Nova in the morning for a quick job and then I can scoot.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #47490
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamondmike View Post
Not to knock a guys choice of bike, but is a klx300 a good candidate to make street legal? I would think that even with sprocket changes either the motor would scream at 60 mph or first gear would be very tall in the woods. I'm a big fan of factory-street-legal bikes like the klx250s, wr250r, or drz400 for their longevity and simplicity. The fun is riding, not oil changes, rebuilds, and electrical gremlins. Just my opinion so feel free to think otherwise.-Mike
It was a screaming deal ( for obvious reasons) and I would just be using it as a woods/gravel road bike as I plan on upgrading to either Mike's Buell or a Strom.

I got this back from the guy when I told him I was going to pass unless he could produce a title:

Matt,
That is fine I understand. This bike is not street legal anyway!!! Its a trail bike...

I guess that it will be good for someone who just wants to ride it on the farm.