ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #48016
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidRavioli View Post
Mike, thanks again. This road was exactly what I was looking for. I wish we had more roads around like this one. Problem is I will have to find a solution to dual sport tires. The F650ST I have is straight street vs. the F650 (Fundoro) which has a 19" front and there are endless dual sport / dirt tires. Anyone know what I can do? Rears are easy to find but my Front 100/90X18 I have not found a single (front) dual sport in that size. There are a few (rears) that are that side, but then I can't find a matching pair for the front and rear which is 130/80X17.
How knobby do you want to get?

A decent dual sport tire that a lot of guys use on terrain like what you pictured is the Shinko 705.

This one is an 18, may fit (I'm not good at tire sizing and I never understood why sometimes they just forgo the common sizes and use a inch measurement of the rim width):

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ32...FYoDQAodiDuTCw

That road looks fun, but not hard, I would almost bet if you just went a bit faster you'd feel a lot more stable even on street tires. At 10mph it's hard to ride anything gravelly.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #48017
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Sorry you had a bad ride, but I bet it beat push mowing and pounding on a KLR 650 bolt.
did you get it out yet?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #48018
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Managed to get my new bars, grips, clutch lever, and handguards on this evening. I still need to figure out how to repair my left broken mirror mount. The boss is snapped off at the control housing....anyone have a spare generic mirror bar mount sitting around? the mirror is fine still.

I went with a ATV bar, the height is within a hair of the stock KLR bars (tall) and the bend is just a slightly straighter, I really like the feel over the stock bars.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #48019
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Cabin Fever Road Enduro

Kory,

Thanks to you and the other Ohio Woods Riders and Rushing Wind for putting on the road enduro. It was a first class production, good time and beautiful day. Also thanks also to Bob Ramsey for giving me crash coarse on keeping time. I actually think I was getting the hang by the end of it.

Steve
Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #48020
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
The street tires on my F650 are not ideal for this terrain but I went slow and it was fun. It was a great experience and I now want to throw dual sport rubber on my ST, or invest in a KLR or TW......for Montgomery County this road is "adventurous"

For dirt roads, before you commit $$ to new tires, try dropping 10-20% off of recommended tire psi. (we're not talking mud hole trail blazing)

The stock tires, IMHO, do pretty well on a gravel road, with lower psi

If I'm doing mostly dirt/gravel, I may go down to 25-30 psi. It will help the skittering feel some if your near 36 psi.

But note, when you get back on the pavement, you're under-inflated for 80-100mph.

So, pay attention to your tires and tire pressure.

Trade for KLR (?) Be careful what you wish for - the F650 is a great bike. (as is the KLR . . .) but you already own the F650.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 06:47 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #48021
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Kory,

Thanks to you and the other Ohio Woods Riders and Rushing Wind for putting on the road enduro. It was a first class production, good time and beautiful day. Also thanks also to Bob Ramsey for giving me crash coarse on keeping time. I actually think I was getting the hang by the end of it.

Steve

I agree it was a well ran event. Thanks Road Runner Steve for doing all the work so I could enjoy the ride. 300+ miles on the WR today. What happen to you Roger I was looking forward to meeting you today. Alan
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #48022
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Sorry you had a bad ride,
I didn't have a bad ride, I just decided I was on familiar roads and thought I would buzz up to Columbus and see the daughters and granddaughter. The ride was very well organized, and it seemed like nice people out there at the Biker Church. I pass there twice a day.

If I do it again, I would take the DR, have some kind of a tank bag so I could see the route, have a pen or marker on a lanyard around my neck so I could check off where I had been, and have a timer/computer mounter on the handlebars so I could do splits.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #48023
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Now - that was Fun!

If I do it again, I would want a better way to hold the route instructions, and I would want a timer I could see and reset. I got tired of always having to look down and find the instructions.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that didn't work out for you - you should buy a (cheap) route sheet holder and have a wrist watch. Taping it to a gas tank troublesome. Re-settable odometer - work like a charm if your odometer is calibrated just like the bike that laid out the route. That's when things are great - when it ain't great - you gotta do a little math on the fly.

Road Enduro - a hell of a lot more fun than I've had on a bike in a long time. Close enough to the off-road enduro for - me. Watching the clock, the route sheet, did I miss that turn? Am I ahead of schedule? Or, behind? Don't let things like tight turns and loose gravel distract you from computing the handlebar information. Go, go, go - don't be early! Not enough time to take a leak - did I miss that turn? 2-1/2 hours - gas stop - thanks for the 30 minute break - back to it for another 50 miles.

I haven't been so busy on a back road bike for a long time. Usually, it's just ride and ride, hope I didn't overcook that blind hill in loose gravel. This is my first road enduro and it was great - I hope to see more in the future.

Met some new ADV faces and saw some old, familiar race faces. Also, missed some ADV faces. . .

Thank you to all the men (and women) who put on a great event! Your time and devotion to the cause is appreciated by me - and more than a few others. It was very well run and that speaks volumes.

When can I count on the next Road Enduro?
(BR)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #48024
SquidRavioli
Beer Snob

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
How knobby do you want to get?

A decent dual sport tire that a lot of guys use on terrain like what you pictured is the Shinko 705.
Thanks Meef. The tread on that Shinko would be ideal. I don't want super knobbies, I fear they would be rough on the street which is where I ride 99.9% of the time. Maybe I need a second bike for the trails....................I was nervous about increasing speed. The front wheel "wobble/washing" made me cringe a few times lol! I'm going to hit that road some more and build up my confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
Trade for KLR (?) Be careful what you wish for - the F650 is a great bike. (as is the KLR . . .) but you already own the F650.
Bob, I have considered throwing the idea on CL to trade for a KLR. When I purchased the F650 I was considering a KLR but I had no interest in riding off road, but now that I've been riding the BMW and lurking on ADVRider, I wish I had a true dual sport.
SquidRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #48025
sion
sigh-own

Alansz400 and I are meeting at 10 am in Danville at the little park on 62 at the south end of town, with intentions of dualsporting around the area. anyone else who's free is welcome to join us.

edit: tomorrow (monday)

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301

sion screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 08:09 PM
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #48026
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
did you get it out yet?
No
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #48027
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
"Lets do a back road ride, and hit some easy dirt/gravel just so I can try to get a feel for the beast". I told George as I rolled my street tired bone stock Tenere out next to his street tired KLR.
"No creeks or mud"

Started out great!

And then the plan went to hell!

And my personal favorite:

Believe it or not, this was a planned maneuver to get my bike off the slick mud embankment, down into the solid rock creek. Yes, its holding itself up there in the mud.
Didn't ever fall, and actually, didn't even have any close call, despite being out in some gnarly terrain on a freaking mammoth motorcycle. Calling this thing sure-footed is the understatement of the year!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #48028
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
Alansz400 and I are meeting at 10 am in Danville at the little park on 62 at the south end of town, with intentions of dualsporting around the area. anyone else who's free is welcome to join us.
What day?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #48029
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
What day?

oops...tomorrow (aka Monday)

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #48030
SquidRavioli
Beer Snob

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
"Lets do a back road ride, and hit some easy dirt/gravel just so I can try to get a feel for the beast". I told George as I rolled my street tired bone stock Tenere out next to his street tired KLR.
"No creeks or mud"

Started out great!

And then the plan went to hell!

And my personal favorite:

Believe it or not, this was a planned maneuver to get my bike off the slick mud embankment, down into the solid rock creek. Yes, its holding itself up there in the mud.
Didn't ever fall, and actually, didn't even have any close call, despite being out in some gnarly terrain on a freaking mammoth motorcycle. Calling this thing sure-footed is the understatement of the year!
This looks awesome! Where is this located?
SquidRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote