ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #48286
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post

Would you people leave me alone?

Don't worry, my 950 is spotless, you can see your reflection in the shine and the chicken strips cover half the tire. Most people snicker at my bikes when they walk by.

I have that demotivational poster on my wall at work.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #48287
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
But remember you can't clean it afterwards unless you are selling it.
That might not be possible. I'll leave it dirty long enough to get a picture of it that way, but I don't think I could leave it like that in the garage overnight or anything.....

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #48288
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
Anyone want to ride last weekend's Road Enduro route with us tomorrow? We're meeting around 09:45 at the Biker Church on SR 40 east of Zanesville, then we're riding approx 130 miles, pulling down turn arrows as we go.
That's turned into 10:30 ish if anyone cares.
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #48289
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
WOW!!! 4-5 pages of posts on a beautiful day!
Yeah.... I worked 10 hours.

Then I took the Tenere out to get a tag (failed) and all this poser talk got me riled up enough to dawn my leathers and go see if it's actually possible to drag a knee on the thing. I'll have to give it another shot before I go to dual sport tires, but so far no luck. Man that thing drags the pegs early. I just got to find out what this beast is truly capable of.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #48290
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

Then I took the Tenere out to get a tag (failed) and all this poser talk got me riled up enough to dawn my leathers and go see if it's actually possible to drag a knee on the thing. I'll have to give it another shot before I go to dual sport tires, but so far no luck. Man that thing drags the pegs early. I just got to find out what this beast is truly capable of.
Don't hurt the rider trying to make a ds bike act like a sport bike.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #48291
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
Then rolled out to Meadville for an IPA and a new hat.

that must have been one helluva strong beer...even your camera got drunk

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #48292
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:

Good luck with that. The geometry of a tall adventure tourer is markedly different than a super sport with a shorter lean angle...you'll likely run out of tire before your knees are down. Lean angle might be roughly the same, but you're "higher on the ladder" so to speak.

I did a track day with my Vee and was on the ragged edge of my tires, feeling them starting to slide and my knee wasn't near the ground yet.

Felt like it, but looking at the film I wasn't even close.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #48293
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
Maybe, but I'll probably sleep in tomorrow. In related news I just sold the DR650 and the cx500, so I'm down to just the Quota & klx, the klx needs a new battery...
Congrats buddy, doesn't it feel good to consolidate?

We need to get together pre end of May to discuss the trip logistics.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #48294
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
He's a total douche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I've met him, your wrong, he's a prick...
Guess you guy's are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Gravel freaks me out, it's all wiggly and could scratch my rims.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #48295
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Good luck with that. The geometry of a tall adventure tourer is markedly different than a super sport with a shorter lean angle...you'll likely run out of tire before your knees are down. Lean angle might be roughly the same, but you're "higher on the ladder" so to speak.

I did a track day with my Vee and was on the ragged edge of my tires, feeling them starting to slide and my knee wasn't near the ground yet.

Felt like it, but looking at the film I wasn't even close.
I don't buy it for a minute. The tire will conform to the ground. That's how car tires work on bikes, and how super motards work with this same 150 tire size (and a lot more lean angle). What will effect the possibility of knee dragging is the actual bike maximum lean angle before hard parts hit (this is the problem on the tenere) and the tire's available traction (not a problem at all with the oem tenere tires, but would be the issue if I tried on my wrr). And while you may opt to reference a super-sport, I'm still comparing this bike to my Ulysses in my head. Still a taller 'adventure-ish' bike, albeit with way more available lean angle.

Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #48296
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
More on posers. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
For all you poser lovers.....

My favorite...

Poseur, also - poser

Authenticity is aimed at by devotees of various motorcycle subcultures, including the adventure bike scene.
Poseur is a pejorative term, often used in the moto subcultures to describe a person who copies the dress, speech, and/or mannerisms of a group or subculture, generally for attaining acceptability within the group or for popularity among various other groups, yet who is deemed to not share or understand the values or philosophy of the subculture. While this perceived inauthenticity is viewed with scorn and contempt by members of the subculture, the definition of the term and to whom it should be applied is subjective. While the term is most associated with the 1980s- and 1990s-era moto subculture, English use of the term originates in the late 19th century.

That's me. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #48297
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
that must have been one helluva strong beer...even your camera got drunk
indeed

I was using Pudding Camera on my DroidX2
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #48298
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
I don't buy it for a minute. The tire will conform to the ground. That's how car tires work on bikes, and how super motards work with this same 150 tire size (and a lot more lean angle). What will effect the possibility of knee dragging is the actual bike maximum lean angle before hard parts hit (this is the problem on the tenere) and the tire's available traction (not a problem at all with the oem tenere tires, but would be the issue if I tried on my wrr). And while you may opt to reference a super-sport, I'm still comparing this bike to my Ulysses in my head. Still a taller 'adventure-ish' bike, albeit with way more available lean angle.

Not saying it's impossible to get a knee down on a taller bike, but more difficult (the Uly is pretty squat). I think you're misunderstanding me - it's about your position on a rotating axis. On a shorter bike you're down closer to the pivot point, on a taller bike you're farther away....it's that simple. Think about a ladder. If you're on the first rung, how far over does the ladder need to fall before your ass hits the ground? Not far. How far if you're 6 rungs up? Much farther lean.

Depending on the available traction, your speed, etc. you might have room left to get down that far on a Super Tenere - but given the exact same conditions a GSXR's rider has much less effort to get that low.

The goal of getting off the saddle to the inside is to reduce lean angle at extremes to provide more traction - but on a taller bike you're not as prone to exaggerate the lean to that extreme - which is why supermoto riders don't employ the same cornering tactics as supersport riders.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #48299
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,089
one can lean way farther if they are on top of the bike

OR

just get a shorter bike

either way....
Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #48300
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
I'll explain myself, so we're clear why I unloaded on you. I don't do that very often....there's a reason I did it.

Spaceball is some strange guy that's not here. I made an observation about someone I saw out in the world. Even tho I'm 99.9% sure every single one of us in my position would have thought the precise same thing, I came out and said it but it was not said to his face...because I'm not cruel.

Your comment was said to a fellow Ohio inmate - who you not only are talking more directly to, but may share a ride with someday. That's why it's different. You made it personal, and I wouldn't have said something like that to Spaceball's face, nor would I have chided you for your opinion about some stranger.

So, it rubbed me the wrong way.

Not to mention I don't agree that it's sans noblesse to snicker at the dude's behavior. Snobbery is believing I'm better than someone for whatever - wealth, or class or ability. I think none of those things about Spaceball. I'm sure he's got more money than me, a better bike, and better gear....except for that helmet. Hell, his wife has better shit than I do.

For that matter, most of the guys I like and admire on this forum ride the same bike, with the same tires and gear. Larry, Shawn, Bruce, they all have the same ride as Spaceball and they're all great guys....but they chose that stuff because it suits their riding style. I know Bruce doesn't offroad his GS, and it shows, but that's fine - because he didn't put TKC-80's and guards all over it. Shawn rides his like I ride my Strom, hard and in places it shouldn't go, and that's fine too...I would never ridicule him for that.

Spaceball fucked up by pretending to be something he's not by his choices in gear. It deserves a little ridicule, just like people who dress like soldiers but don't serve deserve it. It's the very definition of poser, and it's a worse crime to do it than to notice it.