ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #48301
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I'll explain myself, so we're clear why I unloaded on you. I don't do that very often....there's a reason I did it.

Spaceball is some strange guy that's not here. I made an observation about someone I saw out in the world. Even tho I'm 99.9% sure every single one of us in my position would have thought the precise same thing, I came out and said it but it was not said to his face...because I'm not cruel.

Your comment was said to a fellow Ohio inmate - who you not only are talking more directly to, but may share a ride with someday. That's why it's different. You made it personal, and I wouldn't have said something like that to Spaceball's face, nor would I have chided you for your opinion about some stranger.

So, it rubbed me the wrong way.

Not to mention I don't agree that it's sans noblesse to snicker at the dude's behavior. Snobbery is believing I'm better than someone for whatever - wealth, or class or ability. I think none of those things about Spaceball. I'm sure he's got more money than me, a better bike, and better gear....except for that helmet. Hell, his wife has better shit than I do.

For that matter, most of the guys I like and admire on this forum ride the same bike, with the same tires and gear. Larry, Shawn, Bruce, they all have the same ride as Spaceball and they're all great guys....but they chose that stuff because it suits their riding style. I know Bruce doesn't offroad his GS, and it shows, but that's fine - because he didn't put TKC-80's and guards all over it. Shawn rides his like I ride my Strom, hard and in places it shouldn't go, and that's fine too...I would never ridicule him for that.

Spaceball fucked up by pretending to be something he's not by his choices in gear. It deserves a little ridicule, just like people who dress like soldiers but don't serve deserve it. It's the very definition of poser, and it's a worse crime to do it than to notice it.

Well I agree with you that poser's look like idiots and I'm certainly not above making fun of them either. But did you notice all the post's yesterday that said something like " to each his own" or "at least He's out there riding" So I'm not so sure about that 99.9% thing. Like I said this was at least the 2nd comment I'd seen from you recently about GS riders so maybe I took that a little to personally. You're probably right about that guy in Granville, He's probably a wealthy New Albanite and had everything added to the bike before he ever picked it up. But maybe not, maybe he's leaving for South America next week and just got the bike and is OCD about keeping it clean til he leaves. Doubt it but possible. Maybe He has a WRR at home that he thrashes.
If you knew me you'd know that I don't like pretending to be anything or other people who do.
I have street tires on my GS because that's 98% of my riding. I was hoping I'd get a little more mileage than than the tourances, but that didn't work out. Yes I do ride some gravel roads once in a while but the street tires are fine for that. I wish I was a little more obsessive about cleaning it.
My point was just that maybe you're judging to quickly, unless you talked to the guy and knew for sure he doesn't do any sort of adventure riding.
And I think it should have taken more than two exchanges of opinion before you told me to Fuck Off.
So I'm sure everyone is sick of this whole subject by now, this will be my last comment on the whole thing.
Have a good Sunday.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #48302
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,033
nice day for a ride

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #48303
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Tennis court,FatherX?
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #48304
FatherX
Java Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Tennis court,FatherX?

keen eye.

know which one?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #48305
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Not sick of it yet -I can't get away from it!

This morning as I merged onto a 4 lane, I looked over my left shoulder to see a bike coming - a big, late model GS.

I merged in right next to him. No wave, no 2 finger wave, no nod-of-acknowledgment. Didn't even look my way. What I'm trying to say is that he (she?) entirely ignored me - a fellow rider. He must have thought I was in an orange car. Other than sharing this - I am over it.

I noticed the 49 perfectly aligned decals on the expensive after-market bags. Farkled. De riguer BMW 'adventure' riding suit and boots. Probably BMW adventure socks too.

Poseur? Likely. Snob. Probably. Member of motorcycle fraternity. Not. I can see him broken down roadside - waving his American Express card at the passers-by expecting to be serviced by the great unwashed.

Is there a GS link to this personality type? No. But one might start making assumptions at this rate. . .

Dentist? No.
Proctologist - most likely.
Like I said - people are funny. He, also, happened to be impolite.
Some might call him a 'dick'. Too bad he had to spend so much money to make it more obvious.

* * * * met a rider this morning that goes by the name: Alacrity (?). Nice guy (not a dick).

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 10:02 AM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #48306
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,049
I'm in awe of everyone's awesomness here

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #48307
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
This morning as I merged onto a 4 lane, I looked over my left shoulder to see a bike coming - a big, late model GS.

I merged in right next to him. No wave, no 2 finger wave, no nod-of-acknowledgment. Didn't even look my way. What I'm trying to say is that he (she?) entirely ignored me - a fellow rider. He must have thought I was in an orange car. Other than sharing this - I am over it.

I noticed the 49 perfectly aligned decals on the expensive after-market bags. Farkled. De riguer BMW 'adventure' riding suit and boots. Probably BMW adventure socks too.

Poseur? Likely. Snob. Probably. Member of motorcycle fraternity. Not. I can see him broken down roadside - waving his American Express card at the passers-by expecting to be serviced by the great unwashed.

Is there a GS link to this personality type? No. But one might start making assumptions at this rate. . .

Dentist? No.
Some might call him a 'dick'. Too bad he had to spend so much money to make it more obvious.

* * * * met a rider this morning that goes by the name: Alacrity (?). Nice guy (not a dick).

OK OK You guy's have convinced me GS riders are dickheads.
Anybody wanna buy a 09 GS currently in 15 pieces in my garage, save me having to put it back together.

Looking for a good deal on a wee strom and a WRR
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #48308
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,608
snoberism 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post

Dentist? No.

Sorry Bob, but if you had been on a GS,I would have waved! Now I`m going for a ride to try and fine some of those KTM riders to snub.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #48309
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
I'm in awe of everyone's awesomness here
I knew you could feel it.

My awesomeness is so awesome I just walked away unhurt from wrecking...had two dogs run out in front of me on 258, missed one hit the other, slid toward a gravel embankment and high-sided.

Was in the left hand lane, going around a flagged work crew clearing trees and two dogs came running across the road in between the work trucks, had about a millisecond to maneuver.

Engine guards, handguards, brake pedal, footpeg, rear pannier and rear rack are fucked up. Scratched fairing, windshield and shroud. Hit my shoulder, knee, elbows, hands and a strike to the helmet, and the bike landed on my ankle.

Gear. Fucking. Works.

Landed on my already tweaked shoulder, it oughta be sore as fuck tomorrow but it feels no worse for the wear now.

Bike was rideable home, after some bending and fussing.

Yeah, I'm that awesome.

I'm so awesome I didn't even hurt the dog.

Awesome.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #48310
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Damn! Glad it wasn't worse, Craig! Talk about a crappy day. Hope you don't get too sore.
Dogs running at large? Sounds like someone's insurance should take care of this!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #48311
FatherX
Java Man

hope that hurt shoulder doesn't mess up your biker wave
Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #48312
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Were they poser dogs?

Sorry, just trying to cheer you up!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #48313
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Were they poser dogs?
I think, and this could be the head trauma talking, that right before impact I heard one of them call me a snob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
hope that hurt shoulder doesn't mess up your biker wave
I flip off GS riders with my left hand, I'm still good to go.

Quote:
Dogs running at large? Sounds like someone's insurance should take care of this!
One of the guys on the road crew said the same thing, but only one of the dogs stuck around and by the time I had the bike back in shape to ride one of the guys had walked up to the only house nearby and asked the people there if it was theirs and they didn't even recognize it. The one I hit ran off, they said it looked like a really scrungy mutt. So god knows whose they were.

swingset screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 01:12 PM
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #48314
FatherX
Java Man

Quote:
I think, and this could be the head trauma talking, that right before impact I heard one of them call me a snob.

did the dogs look like this?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #48315
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

One of the guys on the road crew said the same thing, but only one of the dogs stuck around and by the time I had the bike back in shape to ride one of the guys had walked up to the only house nearby and asked the people there if it was theirs and they didn't even recognize it. The one I hit ran off, they said it looked like a really scrungy mutt. So god knows whose they were.
Yea, I might not recognize my own dog if it was going to cost me money! Seriously, might report it to the dog warden, so they can keep an eye out, or do some spying from your car.
Main thing, you weren't seriously injured.