ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #48556
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Hare Scramble School? Where do I sign up? ;)

The problem was it wasn't supposed to be a race...just a dual sport ride. There weren't very many dual sports there though. 99% dirt bikes with tags.

Everyone has a cruise speed at which they're comfortable. Some it's 1st and 2nd gear, some it's peeling bark in 4th. It's all in how they handle the over taking, they're either respectful and patient or just impolite. You can tell quickly which ones spend most of their time trail riding vs gravel roading. Nothing wrong with either but you'll never go faster riding in the trees if you do most of your riding on 2 track roads.

I'm hoping to spend some time in July getting my speed back for a couple races coming up, lately all I've been doing is peeling bark with body parts instead of bark busters.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #48557
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
And look at you now, a regular KTM super store.
Not quite a super store but it is part of the therapy! Think my wife will buy that one?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #48558
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Not quite a super store but it is part of the therapy! Think my wife will buy that one?
Tell her it's motorcycles or fast women. Midlife crisis is a bitch.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #48559
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
It took me 29 years to get them to let me put something other than the damn football hall of fame on the county map.

There is a new sign on Alabama Ave that has the "Share the Road" with motorcycles saying on it.

It's mounted under a speed limit sign.

Maybe a new trend?

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #48560
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I got my bike put back together yesterday.
Today, i pushed it outside, put some gas in it and attempted to start it. It started no problem, but won't idle(carbs still need work). Then, it started pissing gas everywhere.
When I put the new(old) gas tank on, I tore the line for the overflow feed.
Half an hour later, had it back together fixed. I sat in the driveway blipping the throttle to keep it running for fifteen minutes or so. Still won't idle without help, but I'm betting it's close enough to be able to ride and see if it clears up within a few miles. I'll stop at the dmv and see about renewing the tags on it. We'll see how much of a hassle it's going to be since it hasn't been tagged in five years.
Any luck, and I'll get some miles in on it next weekend. And then the following, I get to go pick up my new(er) bike!
If they are being a pain and want to charge a bunch of late fees and previous years' registration fees, there is a way out. Gift it to someone and pay the $15 or so to get the title transfered. Have them gift it back to you and pay for the title transfer again. (may have to wait a few days between the transfers) Then you can immediately register it and get stickers for the current year's fees only without any late fees, regardless of how far you are past your birthday since you just aquired it. Kind of a pain, but it may be cheaper. I was in line at the Medina BMV this spring and watched a woman ahead of me get dinged with a late fee and the previous year's registration and then have to pay the current registration and late fee as well for a truck that hadn't been on the road in over a year.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #48561
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,119
Tell the dmv it was inoperable due to failure, they let me off the hook.

Greg, I'm checking into that sign, that's our road, I do the plans for that department and the 1st I've heard about it

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #48562
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
All this retirement talk. It's foreign to my ears.

Luckily my union squandered and embezzled all our pensions so that the few of us remaining have nearly no chance of recouping a dime of our retirement, so such concerns are largely fantasy talk - I plan on working until I am dead. It solves several problems, such as "what am I going to do?" or "how will my retirement money last?". Feh, I know my future.

Work, die.

Thanks to my hardworking brothers of the GCIU and Teamsters, who took theirs, gave the rest to organized crime, and the pennies that remained spent on leadership golf outings. Solidarity!!!

It's kind of relaxing, some people aren't as blessed with a per-ordained future.
Hopefully you are not still giving that union your money???
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #48563
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I'm gonna go put the plow back on my truck
Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #48564
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
I think it is correctly referred to as Sioned or is that only used when you break down before you start? Also, to stay in touch with my interself, I just wanted to say in public that I think I cried a like a baby a few times that day and it took more than a little therapy to get me back on a bike after that.

a proper sion-ing requires truck/trailering the bike at least 50 miles, followed by an inability to start the damned thing upon arrival.

the crying like a baby thing henceforth shall be known as "throwing a Big Steve"

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #48565
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Hopefully you are not still giving that union your money???
I only pay the local dues and stopped paying my international dues a few years ago. The local covers my contract negotiations and such, and is cheap, but the international are the fuckups that screwed up our pensions and insurance, and donate so heavily to political causes.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #48566
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
The Urichsvillians in the city guvment have done this before......threaten layoffs, drastic cuts, etc. They will get something; tax increase, bail out from the state, wage/benefit cuts, or some combination of all of the choices, then things will be wonderful until the next crisis strikes.

But regardless, working with the Sword of Domocles above your head every day sucks. BTDT several times. Hope it works out for you.

I went to a city council meeting the other night and I was less than impressed.

Too bad they can't run the city well, because this is a fun place to work.

MeefZah screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 10:07 AM
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #48567
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
In the spirit of PERRY THIS THURSDAY, I'm throwing a new back tire on my WRR. I'm not happy about it... The one on there easily has another 1-2 thousand miles of pavement or TH/Danville stuff, but the new rubber is going to be much appreciated on the soggy trails.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #48568
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
In the spirit of PERRY THIS THURSDAY, I'm throwing a new back tire on my WRR. I'm not happy about it... The one on there easily has another 1-2 thousand miles of pavement or TH/Danville stuff, but the new rubber is going to be much appreciated on the soggy trails.

not taking the S-Ten?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #48569
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Shit, thanks for the reminder. I had a rough time Sunday with my Shinko mud posers. I guess I need to get to the pony and get some new knobs myself. I know Alan will too, I think the cords were the only thing giving him traction!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #48570
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
not taking the S-Ten?
I'd take it with the right tires and armor (maybe later this summer?). Most of those trails are 6 foot wide anyway. Albeit I wouldn't do near as much on it there with the weight of the thing hindering the mud and hill abilities.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote