ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #48961
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Sorry to hear that, but having seen some really big helmet lights on several forums I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Glad you're okay.
Thanks!

I have them mounted on top of my helmet and I'm now thinking about moving them down to the sides. They both still work except for the one on the left in the photos has the lens cover busted out. :(

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #48962
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Thanks!

I have them mounted on top of my helmet and I'm now thinking about moving them down to the sides. They both still work except for the one on the left in the photos has the lens cover busted out. :(
Maybe you can find a flash light with the same size lens to replace it? Might be cheaper than buying one.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #48963
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Maybe you can find a flash light with the same size lens to replace it? Might be cheaper than buying one.
I turned it off right after it happened so the bulb still works but I bet the moisture will soon take it out if I can''t get it sealed up tight. :(

Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/4U27cG0EEI0
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 08:27 PM
Old 05-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #48964
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,022
Why not just replace the bulb? Those look very much like the ones in my bicycle light, old Husky head light and my ceiling lights. If you can even find a burned out unit, the lens should be able to be pried off and glued over the good one, or at least, stick a piece of plexiglass over it. If not, a glass shop may be able to make you a new one.

I see you mounted your camera the same way I did mine

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #48965
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Why not just replace the bulb? Those look very much like the ones in my bicycle light, old Husky head light and my ceiling lights. If you can even find a burned out unit, the lens should be able to be pried off and glued over the good one, or at least, stick a piece of plexiglass over it. If not, a glass shop may be able to make you a new one.

Landscape lights are 12v and use those bulbs, I had them for reverse lights on my old plow truck.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #48966
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:

Well they are HID lights and the bulb looks like a MR16 size. The lens cover is convexed and not flat too. The bulb filament stick out a little too so a flat cover won't work either. :(

Oh and I need a spanner wrench to get into the thing too. :( It looks like the front screws off....
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #48967
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
I had it mounted actually on the visor but got way too many up/down motion/vibration so I took the shield off the helmet and stuck it where it is now. Kind of hard to get goggles on/off but you still can. Sunglasses are a lot easier and that's what I use most often anyway. ;) The goggles I have suck and seem to press on my nose funny and plug it up. :(
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #48968
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Soo...I'm debating on what to do here....

1) Keep my KLR and buy Mike's Buell ( using the money I save on his bike to pay for my divorce )

2) Upgrade to a WR 250R or KLX 250S and buy something like Dox's KLR 650 for a "street bike"

I love my KLR, but I think I have outgrown it already. I want more travel, a sissy red button, more ass, 30# less weight, and better brakes (in the back for sure, my rear drum leaves a bit to be desired). Rather than say want, I should say that I have been in situations now where all of those things would have stopped me from eating excrement sandwiches.

I also want to have a street bike so I can run knobby tires on the other bike and not have pangs of cheapness punching me in the kidneys, and I want to be able to cruise to ....well, wherever, in somewhat reasonable comfort.

I'm leaning toward upgrading the dirt oriented bike because I have a lot more fun on the trail than I do on the street.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #48969
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
The Suzuki truck is parked out front. Iron Pony is officially having test rides on Sat 9-6 & Sun 10-5.

That said I am doing some VIP rides and getting my route and things sorted out this afternoon.....sort of a test run before the test rides.

Swing by between 4 & 7 today if you want to try something out...a little more relaxed, and there should almost be no crowd.

15 mile guided loop.

DRZ400, DR650, Wee & V Stroms

Sion is coming by to see if we can get a trailer hitch on the Hayabusa....If so he is going to pull the trigger on one.......something about camping in a big hurry.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #48970
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

1) Keep my KLR and buy Mike's Buell ( using the money I save on his bike to pay for my divorce )

2) Upgrade to a WR 250R or KLX 250S and buy something like Dox's KLR 650 for a "street bike"

I love my KLR, but I think I have outgrown it already. I want more travel, a sissy red button, more ass, 30# less weight, and better brakes (in the back for sure, my rear drum leaves a bit to be desired). Rather than say want, I should say that I have been in situations now where all of those things would have stopped me from eating excrement sandwiches.

I also want to have a street bike so I can run knobby tires on the other bike and not have pangs of cheapness punching me in the kidneys, and I want to be able to cruise to ....well, wherever, in somewhat reasonable comfort.

I'm leaning toward upgrading the dirt oriented bike because I have a lot more fun on the trail than I do on the street.
Well I have an '08 KLR650 and '08 WR250R. I run D606's on the KLR and have had relatively good tread life running on the road most of the time. Oh and the brakes suck on the KLR big time! No complaints about the WRR. ;)
Old 05-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #48971
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
The Suzuki truck is parked out front. Iron Pony is officially having test rides on Sat 9-6 & Sun 10-5.

That said I am doing some VIP rides and getting my route and things sorted out this afternoon.....sort of a test run before the test rides.

Swing by between 4 & 7 today if you want to try something out...a little more relaxed, and there should almost be no crowd.

15 mile guided loop.

Sion is coming by to see if we can get a trailer hitch on the Hayabusa....If so he is going to pull the trigger on one.......something about camping in a big hurry.
I thought Sion was a Honda guy only. ;) Maybe he has season tickets to Blitzburgh games and needs to get over there in a hurry. ;)

indypup screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 06:13 AM
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #48972
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
I would really enjoy seeing a trailer hitched GXSR 1300 rolling across a cornfield to get to a covered bridge....

Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #48973
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:

15 mile guided loop.

I'll be by tomorrow about 12:30, my son has a soccer game tomorrow morning just down the road from IP. Need a new tank bag and if the wait isn't too long I may test ride something.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #48974
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

WR really is the way to go. KLX is a decent bike but comparing both bone stock, the WR is better. That said, used KLXs are significantly cheaper than their WR counterparts, and the performance loss and QC difference may not be important enough to you to justify another grand or two.

I think if you had a KLR and a WR you'd have too much overlap in function. A Buell (or any street oriented bike, really) and WR would give you the whole spectrum of riding - from multi-day interstate trips to single track. I'm extremely satisfied with my combo of Strom and WR; there really is nothing I can't do with them... or at least nothng the bikes aren't capable of, considering my (lack of) skill set.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #48975
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I think if you had a KLR and a WR you'd have too much overlap in function. A Buell (or any street oriented bike, really) and WR would give you the whole spectrum of riding - from multi-day interstate trips to single track.
+1, well said