ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #49591
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by half_price_beemer View Post
Hey guys,
any one know where to look on advrider for a thread about how to pack your gear more efficiently? I don't wanna start a threads that already exists. Any tips on how to pack enough clothes/underwear for longer trips? Hitting up the laundromat every week when I'm on a longer rider seems like my only option.
Any suggestions on this is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I did 18 days on 4 pairs of underwear / socks / T-shirts; and only washed them one time along the way. I wore the same pair of basketball shorts the entire time under my MC pants, except when it was really cold out west, then I wore long johns under. But, my theory on motorcycle trips is, you are supposed to be grubby and stink; and you can't smell yourself at 80 mph anyway.

If I was doing an 18 - 30 day long trip again, to facilitate packing light, I'd bring exactly the same stuff... 4 days worth of shit, you can stretch that to 12 days without too much issue by wearing everything 3 days. There's a Wal Mart or similar everywhere, if you don't want to wash the stuff along the way, just throw it out every few days and buy a fresh pack of white tees, socks, and underwear once a week. If you are super cheap, get the tees at a Goodwill store.

Wal Mart is also a great resource for stuff you may not think you need on the road but decide halfway through the trip that you do. We went to Michigan a few years ago and it got colder than expected, an extra Wal Mart sweatshirt bought on the road was much appreciated. Goodwill can be a lifesaver too, I had to take an emergency roadside shit on a day trip once and ended up using the t-shirt I was wearing to wipe my ass. I walked, shirtless, into the next town's Goodwill and plunked down $1.00 for a natty T-shirt that I still actually have somewhere...
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #49592
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
emergency roadside shit on a day trip once and ended up using the t-shirt I was wearing to wipe my ass. I walked, shirtless, into the next town's Goodwill and plunked down $1.00 for a natty T-shirt that I still actually have somewhere...
I wish we could somehow make T-Shit a nickname that would stick, but most people have colorful names for you anyway.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #49593
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I packed very similarly to Meef and swingset for my 30 day ride; 2 pairs of gym shorts, a few dri-fit T-shirts, a few dri-fit underwares, and a heavy weight dri-fit base layer. I overdosed on socks though... wet and/or cold feet suck. I think I had 1 pair of jeans for off-bike shenanigans too. I think we ended up hitting a laundromat twice, but to be honest, I would've made it fine with one laundry stop mid way I think.

Also like meef, I ended up stopping at a Walmart to get a sweatshirt when it got colder than expected.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #49594
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I wish we could somehow make T-Shit a nickname that would stick, but most people have colorful names for you anyway.

I bet he would answer to that nickname

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #49595
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,589
A laundromat? On a bike trip? :facepalm

Three pairs of socks/underwear,two pairs of them convertible shorts/pants, two tshirts, and my aerostitch fleece sweatshirt did me fine for a month out west. Planned to hit a hotel once every three days and hose everything down in the shower (including the tents fly as well as I packed it up wet most mornings) and let it all dry overnight. Ended up being more like once every five days.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #49596
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
+1 on "T-Shit" lol
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #49597
sjsred323i
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Take your oldest underwear and tee shirts and throw them out as you wear them. Then you have room for stuff you acquire along the way.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #49598
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
NIGHT RIDE 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post

Fun ride last night. Nice pace not real fast and not to slow. I had one close deer call on the way home inside the city limits of all places. We need to do it again this summer.

I thought it was a MOTHERFUCKIN NIGHT RIDE? where's the MF?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #49599
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I thought it was a MOTHERFUCKIN NIGHT RIDE? where's the MF?
I wiped my ass with them.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #49600
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
All these trip packing comments,you all must be some hygiene freaks of nature. Because I can't stand myself after a couple days.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #49601
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I wiped my ass with them.
couldnt find a t-shirt?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #49602
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
couldnt find a t-shirt?
Hmm, are we seeing a trend here? lol
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #49603
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Any of you FF planning long trips this summer? I went to Alaska last summer. 12,000 miles in 18 days.
  • NatSTOC VII (National ST Owners Club) event Jul 12~15 in Spearfish, SD
  • Colorado Dualsport Tour Jul 28th~ Aug 4th

I have two other weeks of vacation beyond this and I'm not sure where I'm going to be riding...
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #49604
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Any of you FF planning long trips this summer? I went to Alaska last summer. 12,000 miles in 18 days.
  • NatSTOC VII (National ST Owners Club) event Jul 12~15 in Spearfish, SD
  • Colorado Dualsport Tour Jul 28th~ Aug 4th

I have two other weeks of vacation beyond this and I'm not sure where I'm going to be riding...

depending on how our july shutdown schedules out, I may have a week or so of free time and wouldnt mind doing a longish ride...they should be announcing it any day now. it wont coincide with either of those events, however. would be first week of july, prolly the 30th of June to the 8th of July, give or take

Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #49605
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
depending on how our july shutdown schedules out, I may have a week or so of free time and wouldnt mind doing a longish ride...they should be announcing it any day now. it wont coincide with either of those events, however. would be first week of july, prolly the 30th of June to the 8th of July, give or take
Let me know soon so I can put my request in. Is Maggie the deer-slayer in good running order again? ;)

Oh, I forgot I've taking off the week of June 18th too. Probably head down to the smoky's then for a few days and then go to OhioSTOC at Lake Hope SP on the 20th~24th. Probably about 50~75 ST'ers will be there then...