ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #49696
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,022
Nothing epic but I started a thread in Day Trippin'. Thinking I'd try to give back a little of what the inmates have graced me with.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post18864755
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #49697
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
me to

Troy - Cincinnati 75 miles
150 per day M-F
39,000 miles / year
3250 miles / month

-----------------------------Truck----------------------Hybrid Car
MPG--------------------------18--------------------------45
Gallons of fuel / month--------181--------------------------72
fuel $ / month @$3.50/gal.----632-------------------------253

So if you can get a payment at $379 / month, you are basically breaking even aside from the down payment. Then factor in having warranty coverage and a vehicle with reduced maintainance costs. The math really isn't all that bad.

Only 45mpg for the Hybrid? What a piece of sh1t!

My Non-Hybrid gets 50mpg on long commuting type trips. I have seen 640 miles on one tank of fuel before.

Then again, the maintenance cost on a VW Diesel is high. (Timing Belt, Flywheel, DSG Fluid Changes, etc)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #49698
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
me to

Troy - Cincinnati 75 miles
150 per day M-F
39,000 miles / year
3250 miles / month

-----------------------------Truck----------------------Hybrid Car
MPG--------------------------18--------------------------45
Gallons of fuel / month--------181--------------------------72
fuel $ / month @$3.50/gal.----632-------------------------253

So if you can get a payment at $379 / month, you are basically breaking even aside from the down payment. Then factor in having warranty coverage and a vehicle with reduced maintainance costs. The math really isn't all that bad.

I get what you are saying, my commute is half of that, but still way over average. There is no way to slice up the Prius and make it make $ sense over Toyota's own Yaris or Corrola.....the Prius is a green badge of honor, but that is about it. Apply your same math + the cost of the car & the expected life of the car and you will come up with the same result.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #49699
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I get what you are saying, my commute is half of that, but still way over average. There is no way to slice up the Prius and make it make $ sense over Toyota's own Yaris or Corrola.....the Prius is a green badge of honor, but that is about it. Apply your same math + the cost of the car & the expected life of the car and you will come up with the same result.
Better yet, run the numbers on a 10 year old Civic with low mileage...even factoring in maintenance and a major repair (which isn't likely), you're in the hole trying to save gas buying a new vehicle, no matter how good it is on gas.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #49700
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Better yet, run the numbers on a 10 year old Civic with low mileage...even factoring in maintenance and a major repair (which isn't likely), you're in the hole trying to save gas buying a new vehicle, no matter how good it is on gas.
True, but you seem to start running into problems with modern, 10 year old cars....I guess the plastic stuff just starts falling apart. Plus the rust factor here in OH.

I try to run the numbers based on purchase price, repair & maintenance costs & fuel over a 150K mile life, perhaps even pushing it to 200K, but the hybrids lose.

I think a new Civic or Fit is interchangeable with the Toyotas.....Hybrids are cool...I LOVE the idea & technology, but if the goal is saving money then it does not make sense.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #49701
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,117
Quote:
True, but you seem to start running into problems with modern, 10 year old cars....I guess the plastic stuff just starts falling apart. Plus the rust factor here in OH.

I try to run the numbers based on purchase price, repair & maintenance costs & fuel over a 150K mile life, perhaps even pushing it to 200K, but the hybrids lose.

I think a new Civic or Fit is interchangeable with the Toyotas.....Hybrids are cool...I LOVE the idea & technology, but if the goal is saving money then it does not make sense.
It sounds like the discussions we used to have about the economics behind buying a motorcycle for the purpose of saving gas money. If you add in enough factors then it really makes it hard to break even unless you forfeit having a car at all. But anyone who's lived with just a bike as transportation knows it isn't easy.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #49702
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
It sounds like the discussions we used to have about the economics behind buying a motorcycle for the purpose of saving gas money. If you add in enough factors then it really makes it hard to break even unless you forfeit having a car at all. But anyone who's lived with just a bike as transportation knows it isn't easy.

Per mile, a small car is way cheaper than a motorcycle.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #49703
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
EJV sez:

"Only 45mpg for the Hybrid? What a piece of sh1t!"

On my last road trip to Europe, was given a BMW 520D by the rent a wreck people. Had 16 kilometers on the speedo when I pulled out of the parking garage.

5 series BMW is not a small car. This one had a 4 cylinder, 2L turbo diesel. One week later, it got returned...drove 1300 miles, averaged 59 mph, and got a mere 39 mpg! Which I find amazing in a car that size that was driven in the fast lane of the autobahn frequently. Oh, it does cruise quiet nicely at 115 mph!

I am not a car guy at all, but, if the 520D was available in the States, I would ahve to give one a hard look. In countries that get the 520D with speed limits, road tests are reporting 45 mpg is more than possible. Why drive a little tiny hybrid when you can go in complete comfort and get good mileage! Yea expensive, but what a car. For me to be impressed with a mere car, it had to be pretty good.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #49704
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Why drive a little tiny hybrid when you can go in complete comfort and get good mileage!
I agree. We took my brother's 2003 Sprinter on the last trip to Montreal. I got around 25mpg, which was better than anything I had except a motorcycle. The bonus was being able to get up and walk around and stretch, while still carrying everything. He didn't let me pack the motorcycle though I think it would have fit fine.

I haven't had a diesel since the late 90s, but the new direct injection technology has me thinking my next kid hauler will be.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #49705
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,544
Well, I'm off to buy a gas guzzling pickup truck...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #49706
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
That's why I mentioned factoring in a major repair. The truth is, you'll lose more in depreciation the moment you drive a new anything off the lot than the first major repair (and I'm talking engine, transmission, etc.) happens to an older vehicle...if it happens at all.

Most modern cars can go to 200,000 without much issue at all...I racked up 275,000 on a Nissan Sentra without ANY repairs, none, just maintenance. It started with 60,000 on it, and I paid $5k for the car. Run those numbers against anything new, anywhere, no matter what it gets for mileage, and you can't deny the savings....especially if you're able to buy something outright and avoid interest/payments/steep insurance (a cost not usually added in to these discussions) and repair costs which are usually minimal on a cheaper small vehicle like a Civic or Corolla.

Even if you buy a 10 year old beater and have to dispose of it in a couple years, still money ahead. Even if you have to go down south or out west to buy a non-salted-road clean car, still money ahead.

The truth is, most people want a newer car and work everything around that premise. It's almost never the financially wise way to go.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #49707
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
If I was buying the car today, I might choose something else. At at the time, TDI Jettas were priced too high and most of the other cars I was interested in were drinking too much for the math to work in my favor. Needing to have a decent sized hatchback or wagon with a split fold down rear seat limited what would work for me.

While used is always cheaper than new, there is something to be said for a warranty and starting with a fresh vehicle that isn't going to need brakes or exhaust work anytime soon.

side note: Speaking of brakes, the Prius is really gentle on its brakes. With a lot of the braking coming from regen instead of the calipers, the pads last a long time.

Anywho, the thing has been perfectly reliable and I have no regrets about the purchase. Can we get back to bikes now?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #49708
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,285
Hybrid motorcycle forum now!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #49709
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Since we are talking about cars . I have a BMW 528i with 304,000 for sale in my front yard.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #49710
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
While used is always cheaper than new, there is something to be said for a warranty and starting with a fresh vehicle that isn't going to need brakes or exhaust work anytime soon.
Easily afforded if you aren't making a $400 payment every month. Hell, you can buy aftermarket warranties like AutoAssure and still be money ahead with no repair worries.

Let's be honest - new car smell is the motivation. And, I'll give you that's a good reason to lose money...it's pretty sweet.