ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #49936
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,259
If you want to experience a real slice of americana, I suggest Butler, Ohio on a saturday....I can think of nowhere else where you can buy Bud Light out of a cooler being pulled on a trailer by a RZR without having to get off your 400ex.....

America, Fuck Yeah!

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #49937
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Fun ride today and it didn't get too awful hot because we were over 20mph most the time. Palandor and BDMike were the only people to show but sometimes less is more.

PS have I ever mentioned how awsome it is to have a creek crossing just down the road from me. Took the KTM threw in second and hit the deep spot. Wall of water to the face! MAN it felt great!
Sounds like I missed a good time...however, I had a good time of my own.

First, I slept in til noon...been a while since I've been able to do that, so right off the bat, the day started well. Then, after coffee and my morning routine of checking in here, checking email and what not, I took a nice long, leisurely dump. Having finished with the bowel movement, I checked in the with wife on the family obligations, which turned out didnt start til 5ish...great, I thought, that leaves me with riding time...so I did a quick search and found a couple covered bridges that weren't too far out...plugged the locations into the gps and off I went at 2:30.

First bridge was located in a park in Cambridge:

while the next one was about 5 miles north just off route 658 (which would be a really fun road if the surface was in better condition):

Following that, I decided to swing over to The Reservation (aka Dox's party location) since I was close and he had put out an open invite. Sorry, forgot to take any pictures, but I got to meet Dox and some of his family. Very cool people who were kind enough to feed me my first meal of the day (hot dogs and cheesy potatoes, if you were interested). Nice set up they got there, looking forward to returning in August for the big get together.

Anyway, we shot the shit til I was late for my family obligations, so I hurried up and rolled out of there at 6pm and made it to the FIL's by 7:30. Bout an hour later, I rolled home followed by the wife and dog in the car. Daughter was home from work by then and since we both have to work tomorrow, we went ahead and did the Father's Day thing.

Wife had a nice card for me but the daughter went WAY overboard: a yellow rose with a lovely hand written card that just about made me cry, followed by a 6-pack of beer and $50 gift card to Iron Pony.

Total mileage for the day: a bit over 150.
Total smile-age for the day: immeasurable.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #49938
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, it is possible to have a working rear brake on the KLR. Installed a SS brake line, new pads and flushed out the gunk and now have rear brakes that actually will lock up the rear tire. I’m a happy boy, of course it doesn’t take much these days!
Hmm, locking up the rear tire isn't a good thing IMO... That's how I crashed the KLR on pavement during the cabin fever ride last year. :(

I also have ebc sintered double-h brake pads and SS rear brake line. I actually let some air the the system so I can't lock up the rear brake now after the crash.

Now the POS front is a different story. I also have SS brake line with ebc sintered double-h brake pads AND a 320MM oversized rotor and it still sucks compared to any other bike I have ever ridden. :( Don't ever have to worry about doing stoppies on a KLR!!!
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 08:21 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #49939
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I bent the hell out of my brake lever and can now lock my rear brake on pavement, of course I don't have that fancy fluid stuff in my rear brakes.

There's this thing called threshold braking, learning it makes riding/driving much more enjoyable....

Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #49940
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
There's this thing called threshold braking, learning it makes riding/driving much more enjoyable....
I'm well aware of how to use the brakes and the KLR brakes just suck no matter what you do with them..IMO.

I can do low speed parking lot manuvers on my ST1300 using the rear brake big time and have no issues at all with brakes on any other bike beside the KLR.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #49941
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Hmm, locking up the rear tire isn't a good thing IMO... That's how I crashed the KLR on pavement during the cabin fever ride last year. :(

I also have ebc sintered double-h brake pads and SS rear brake line. I actually let some air the the system so I can't lock up the rear brake now after the crash.

Now the POS front is a different story. I also have SS brake line with ebc sintered double-h brake pads AND a 320MM oversized rotor and it still sucks compared to any other bike I have ever ridden. :( Don't ever have to worry about doing stoppies on a KLR!!!
Now don't get me wrong, the back actually takes some pressure to lockup but is much better than before when I could even hardly get the bike to slow down when standing on it. Off road I like being able to lock the back up for turns and steep downhills etc. Only having braking in the front caused me to fold the front under me a few weeks ago on a rocky downhill and my ankle is just now looking better. Bike already had SS front line when I got it and actually I don't think its that bad. Now with both working I think I may be able to do an emerency stop if necessary...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #49942
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I bent the hell out of my brake lever and can now lock my rear brake on pavement, of course I don't have that fancy fluid stuff in my rear brakes.

I should also explain that I had a worn down D606 rear tire on at the time of my crash with about 35# of air in it. I rode all the way from Troy to Zanesville with it aired up and then forgot to let air out for the ride. That was my biggest mistake. Brakes probably wouldn't have locked up with a street tire on. ;)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #49943
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Now don't get me wrong, the back actually takes some pressure to lockup but is much better than before when I could even hardly get the bike to slow down when standing on it. Off road I like being able to lock the back up for turns and steep downhills etc. Only having braking in the front caused me to fold the front under me a few weeks ago on a rocky downhill and my ankle is just now looking better. Bike already had SS front line when I got it and actually I don't think its that bad. Now with both working I think I may be able to do an emerency stop if necessary...
I still hate my front brakes even with oversized rotor, SS brake line, and EBC pads. :( I've even thought about changing the master cylinder to see if that would help. I still might do that. Pull the one off my Ninja and put it on the KLR to see what happens. ;)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #49944
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I still hate my front brakes even with oversized rotor, SS brake line, and EBC pads. :( I've even thought about changing the master cylinder to see if that would help. I still might do that. Pull the one off my Ninja and put it on the KLR to see what happens. ;)
Rumor has it (or fact, whatever) that a DR master cylinder is a direct bolt on for the KLR 250 and makes braking way better, might see if the same is true for the 650.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #49945
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamondmike View Post
Thanks for leading the way, Luke. Enjoyed riding the old RR bed again - it seemed longer than I had remembered. Hidden Springs is a nice little place and it was great to try it for free! -Mike
Fun day without the long trip to the South East.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #49946
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Fun day without the long trip to the South East.

Looks like Hidden Springs was MUCH dryer than the time I was there.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #49947
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
Looks like Hidden Springs was MUCH dryer than the time I was there.
There are still mud holes that are slick as I proved when I got cross rutted in one and went down but yes. Most the trails are actually dusty.
2006 KLR650
Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #49948
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Happy Fathers day Dad! What a kid, he knew just what to get me.

2006 KLR650
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #49949
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Happy Fathers day Dad! What a kid, he knew just what to get me.

You'll need a few more to make a nice seat cover for your bike.

Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #49950
half_price_beemer
Wings-it Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
KLR had a bad day

Hey guys,
The KLR is hurting,
I was riding the '09 KLR doing about 70MPH running 4500RPM, and she dropped power sputtered for about 20 seconds, and then died. The bike was feeling under powered on that ride too. The tire never locked up or anything, but when I pulled over oil was everywhere. I took off the tank and all, I saw that one of the valve cover bolts on the front left had popped out. that was the oil puking culprit, the bolt had stripped too. If you hit the E-start every thing cranks but with no compression, and air is forced out of the bolt hole.

Does that sound like, a valve/doohickey/timing chain problem? every thing is free on the bottom end and nothing is knocking.

should be a fun fix!
half_price_beemer is offline   Reply With Quote