ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #50356
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Thanks for the education, I have never heard of a derecho.

I have not heard the term but have experienced the storm.

One went through NEO back in the early 90s. Power was out in some areas for several weeks as they cleaned up the mess. I saw numerous trees that were ripped off at 15-20' above the ground but no twisters or funnel clouds were observed.

Good luck with the clean up for all those affect by the recent storms.
We barely got a sprinkle from either storm. Everything is still a crispy brown.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #50357
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,253
We reentered civilization around 1:30 AM. AEP must be busting ass.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #50358
r-3350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
No power here since Friday afternoon but we do have a generator. All my neighbors have power. The problem is the transformer in front of our house was hit by lightning Carl
r-3350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #50359
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Since I still had no power Sunday we got out early and rode the farm until noon. Sittiing at the Speedway on 23 south of Delaware watched a Blue LC4 Adv with a kid pillion, couple sets of panniered GS's, pair on a DR350 and a DS Honda. Did a big road loop hoping to drop some of the mud off ran into a panniered S Tenere. No chance to see stickers but figured might be some inmates.

Roached my 756s finally - anyone point me towards a decent 90/10 front local - really anything Like to ride the 4th. Figured I'd ask before I ran down to the Pony.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #50360
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
Blower motor indoors or the fan on the outdoor unit? If it started and went off again in a relative short period of time, you could have had a phase out still on the main. If it still doesn't work when everything comes back up,let me know I'll see if I can diagnose it for you.
Indoor blower motor. The condensing unit runs fine.

I pulled the front panel off the air handler last night and got a whiff of hot air and the smell of electrical stuff trying to let the smoke out. If I set the thermostat to only run the fan, I get a nice electrical humming sound and that electrical smell again. So, it's either the blower motor or something attached to it - capacitor, relay, maybe a transformer. Hell - the unit is 18 years old, so this was bound to happen.

Got a call into a service company (I worked in HVAC/R wholesale for 9 years and still have family in the industry) who I know and trust. It'll be all good.

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #50361
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
AEP must be busting ass.

not so much around here...unless you live right on or next to a main street with lots of businesses. Lincoln ave here in Lancaster went dark last night from the second storm. Today they have power again. Meanwhile, just 3 blocks away where I live, its still dark from friday's storm...I'm less than thrilled.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #50362
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Finally got power back. Whew, that was a sucky 4 days of hot and bored.

Always good to have the preps you needed. The only thing we ran out of was milk, even the beer held out so it was nice to avoid the lines and nonsense.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #50363
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

Always good to have the preps you needed. The only thing we ran out of was milk, even the beer held out so it was nice to avoid the lines and nonsense.
No kidding. I mad the mistake of going to Lowes in Mt Vernon yesterday to pick up osb and whatnot. The gas stations were lined up out to the street and half the lights were out.....my annoyance level was high.

Luckily I had no need for fuel or food, I probably would have ended up in jail, my tolerance for stupid people doesn't exist.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #50364
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
No kidding. I mad the mistake of going to Lowes in Mt Vernon yesterday to pick up osb and whatnot. The gas stations were lined up out to the street and half the lights were out.....my annoyance level was high.

Luckily I had no need for fuel or food, I probably would have ended up in jail, my tolerance for stupid people doesn't exist.
Don't we live in the land of Dumb and Dumber? Canada's weather is looking nicer all the time, btw.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #50365
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGeek99 View Post
Got a call into a service company (I worked in HVAC/R wholesale for 9 years and still have family in the industry) who I know and trust. It'll be all good.
Aaaaand it was just the start capacitor. No wonder it wouldn't start - a 5mfd capacitor was only showing 1.5 mfd.

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #50366
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGeek99 View Post
Aaaaand it was just the start capacitor. No wonder it wouldn't start - a 5mfd capacitor was only showing 1.5 mfd.
I keep an extra starter cap around for my heat pump, in the case of a brown-out or power situation they tend to go before the motor will, and they're cheaper and easier to replace....swap it, and if it's still no-go then look to the more expensive stuff. It's saved me time and a service call doing that. You can find them online cheap, too. Same with limit switches and flame sensors on furnaces.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #50367
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

Friday night was a bustling swarm of mildly panicked sheep wandering the pitch black on a 1/8 tank of gas and an empty stomach - looking to fill either. The few places I saw open looked like the sperm line at an ova convention With none of them understanding how to negotiate a dead light - it was more than annoying . If I didnt need to be out....

Ran outta chainsaw juice, meat and beer - but I had a flash mob form at the conjunction of pool, WiFi hotspot and generator. Least people had the good sense to show up with ice and whatever was gonna go tits up in the fridge.

Anyone have a recom for a ride Weds - gonna need to kill 10 hours. Planned going south - may be a bad idea seeing its a holiday and lack of power
Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #50368
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,605

I think my next investment will be a generator...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #50369
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Eh?

And from looking at the long range forecast for the week, some dumbazz fron Ohio is going to be riding through the heart of that heat wave on Friday

Someone slap me and bring me back to my senses

Oh wait, I might enjoy the abuse
Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #50370
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
Anyone have a recom for a ride Weds - gonna need to kill 10 hours. Planned going south - may be a bad idea seeing its a holiday and lack of power
I'm planning on going out and riding Wed, if you wanna join me. I'll be on the Vee so limited to gravel and I have no destination in mind just thought I'd wander the wasteland in search of gas and people to rape. Homo-erotic blond pillion optional.