ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #51241
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
its been my experience that most things that claim to be waterproof, arent....especially moto things.

usually, the best you can hope for is water resistant

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #51242
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Most of me was dry. The side zippers collected water and channeled it into the pants via the top. Then the vented crotch area didn't keep much water out either. -_- all that said im wondering if the Mojave was the way to go. They weren't too bad standing around. Pretty nice down the road. Just they aren't nearly as vented as the Mojave.

The Dakar has never been advertised as being waterproof that I'm aware of.

If the chance of rain is low or I'm riding close to home, the Mojave is a great set of pants. Love mine, and they've been tough as nails so far.

If you absolutely need waterproof, the Traverse pants are the way to go. Double layer gore-tex, truly waterproof as long as you close the vents first. Which I forget to do sometimes. Also, they look badass when I go eat at Panera Bread before I go shopping at j.crew
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #51243
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Damn!

(And Imma skeered to take my porker of a dual-sport on the bigger tracks). So unless ya'll want to talk me into it (wouldn't be that hard), I think we're out...

Porker? That thing is 45 pounds lighter than my 640. I plan to have either my 640 or 950 or possibly both if I can wedge 4 bikes in the trailer. I love taking the big girls out and playing on the MX tracks.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #51244
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Also, they look badass when I go eat at Panera Bread before I go shopping at j.crew
I max'd out the CC to buy the Klim Adventure stuff, the whole ensemble and a spiffy new Shoei DS lid with photo-prismatic, auto-darkening prescription visor and FLIR heads up display. Sure, it's $3600 worth of clothes and I'll never so much as let them see a mud puddle or the resale value will take a huge hit, but I get mistaken for Charley McEwan all the time and that, to me, is what this whole gig is about.

If I ever go down doing U'eys in the Mister Fister's parking lot cruising for dates, I know my gear is there to save my hide.

I went ahead and ordered it all from Touratech. They sent me an extra catalog, and I cut it in half and used it for seat foam. Gave me another 10" of foot-to-peg.

Adventure Twins Power, ACTIVATE!!!

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #51245
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I max'd out the CC to buy the Klim Adventure stuff, the whole ensemble and a spiffy new Shoei DS lid with photo-prismatic, auto-darkening prescription visor and FLIR heads up display. Sure, it's $3600 worth of clothes and I'll never so much as let them see a mud puddle or the resale value will take a huge hit, but I get mistaken for Charley McEwan all the time and that, to me, is what this whole gig is about.

If I ever go down doing U'eys in the Mister Fister's parking lot cruising for dates, I know my gear is there to save my hide.

I went ahead and ordered it all from Touratech. They sent me an extra catalog, and I cut it in half and used it for seat foam. Gave me another 10" of foot-to-peg.

Adventure Twins Power, ACTIVATE!!!
Aw man. I'm way behind the curve. I wonder if the other guys will find out that I bought most of my stuff used or at a steep discount and only spent $750.

I feel so ashamed that my credit card isn't maxed out, and cost me less than the Tourmaster suit and HJC helmet at Iron Pony.

How can I ever show my face at the Easton Cosi again?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #51246
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Porker? That thing is 45 pounds lighter than my 640. I plan to have either my 640 or 950 or possibly both if I can wedge 4 bikes in the trailer. I love taking the big girls out and playing on the MX tracks.

he may have been talking about the S-Ten and not the WR

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #51247
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
he may have been talking about the S-Ten and not the WR
No I was talking about the wrr. When discussing motocross tracks and big air, I think the 300 pound weight is up there. Alicia says she's busy, which gives me the day to ride. I'm Contemplating it meeting you all at the track.

Other option is to replace the leaking fork seal in the morning, and head down to TH.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #51248
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 547
Annual Requalification

Wife just told me the Dog's are good for another year, so I can stay on.
Sorry if this is old,

Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #51249
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
Oh, sure. Now my doberman wants a Glock. Thanks Brian!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #51250
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
When they outlaw guns, only dogs will have guns.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #51251
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Going moto-camping if anyone is interested. Leaving Friday morning (August 10th) and heading east to Wheeling to pickup the TWVT. Taking that south for as long as we want, before heading over to Harrisville, WV to setup camp. No real plans Saturday; I'd love to take the TWVT all the way down to the New River Gorge Bridge, then take twisty pavement back up to the campground. Not sure if we could make it that far though (~125 miles each way), so we may just end up searching for gravel and exploring that north/central area of WV.

There'll be a decent group of road riders (doing their own ride), as well as adventure bikes. Camping is at the overflow campground at Northbend State Park. In previous years we've been the only folks in the campground; which is mostly a grassy field with some trees and porta-potties.

I think we've got an S10, a Tiger 800, a 650GS, a couple KLR's, and a DR650 thus far.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #51252
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Clean bill of health

Today he got rabies and distemper vaccines, and tested negative for heart worms. His heart guard plus and front line meds are on order & should be here in a week, and he'll need a distemper booster and bordatella in 3 - 4 weeks. They think I pegged the age correctly at approximately 1 year +. He weighs 6 lbs . They think I got the breed only partially right, perhaps being a mix of Dachshund and some Terrier because of his slightly wiry coat. I should have picked up on that, already owning a wire coat Jack Russell Terrorist. Whatever he is, he's playful and energetic, smart and eager for human interaction. He's going to be a great companion.

So, rabbit clan, PM sent. Come & get him. He's ready for his permanent home

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified

Bueller screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 09:17 AM
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #51253
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
No I was talking about the wrr. When discussing motocross tracks and big air, I think the 300 pound weight is up there. Alicia says she's busy, which gives me the day to ride. I'm Contemplating it meeting you all at the track.

Sadly, you're to young to know most big thumpers like my 560 all weighed on just under 300

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #51254
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Clean bill of health

Today he got rabies and distemper vaccines, and tested negative for heart worms. His heart guard plus and front line meds are on order & should be here in a week, and he'll need a distemper booster and bordatella in 3 - 4 weeks. They think I pegged the age correctly at approximately 1 year +. He weighs 6 lbs . They think I got the breed only partially right, perhaps being a mix of Dachshund and some Terrier because of his slightly wiry coat. I should have picked up on that, already owning a wire coat Jack Russell Terrorist. Whatever he is, he's playful and energetic, smart and eager for human interaction. He's going to be a great companion.

So, rabbit clan, PM sent. Come & get him. He's ready for his permanent home
We are going to be at the AMA museum on the 12th for the OMTA meeting, could we make that work?

He's going to need an ADV appropriate name.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #51255
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,109
Finally hit the road on my KTM.....I electrical taped my gps to the bars so I could see how fast I was going, and it felt pretty rapped out at 60-65, which was fine by me as the full knobs make for an interesting ride. It was fun to hoist the front wheel in 3 gears every time I left a stop sign tho....

I'm also happy to report that it is way easier to start after the valve adjustment. Two kicks, hot or cold, get it fired every time.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote