ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #51511
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post

Anyone up for some MTBing at Dillon either friday or saturday morning?
I'd love to hit Dillon again but my endurance is for shit....I've been off the trails for almost two months now. I've been road biking but it's not the same. I'm finally getting to where I think I can take the rigors of the trail without any pain so gonna ride Alum this week to test the waters and see how I feel. Dunno, I might surprise myself and have the legs for a longer ride. I'll let ya know.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #51512
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
dragoon

I need tires changed, but there's no way I'll "have" new tires by Tuesday. I'll try to stop by Tuesday just to shoot the fat, got the Pelotonia off my back Saturday, knocked that bad boy down in 6.5 hours at 14.7 mph, pretty/very emotional day.
Congratulations! I am glad that you had a good ride.

I got reminded that I am #1 by many of the riders for having the bad manners to attempt to drive down the road that I live on. The weekend sure sucks for those of us that live in the neighborhood. I think next year if I get flipped off again for trying to pass a group of riders riding 4 abreast that I will decide that it is a good day to haul a 10 foot wide loaded manure spreader down the middle of the road at 8 mph.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #51513
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post

I got reminded that I am #1 by many of the riders for having the bad manners to attempt to drive down the road that I live on. The weekend sure sucks for those of us that live in the neighborhood. I think next year if I get flipped off again for trying to pass a group of riders riding 4 abreast that I will decide that it is a good day to haul a 10 foot wide loaded manure spreader down the middle of the road at 8 mph.

GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #51514
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,164
Quote:

Well at least I'm not the only one who gets pissed off about bicyclists trying to be harley riders in spandex!
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #51515
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Well at least I'm not the only one who gets pissed off about bicyclists trying to be harley riders in spandex!
Man, the Harley assholes were in full force yesterday, I had to panic stop my truck twice after being pulled out in front of by harley idiots who preceded to go 45 and cross the double yellow. I was wishing I was on the KTM, they would have had a good berm roost......

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #51516
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I think that it is the attitude of many of the riders that really bothers me. The day started out badly when I got cursed at while mowing my lawn. Apparently because I have to use a bit of the road to mow my ditch some of the riders felt inconvenienced because their right to use the entire road was being disrupted by a slow moving vehicle. Ironic isn't it.

I think a little consideration shown to those of us that live along these routes and pay the extra tax levies to keep the roads in great condition and keep the neighborhoods so that they are scenic to ride through would go a long ways.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #51517
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Had an insanely good time in WV over the weekend. I think I'm going to do a ride report, but here's a couple preview pictures for you:

Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #51518
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,609
Looks like fun Mike!
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #51519
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
I think that it is the attitude of many of the riders that really bothers me. The day started out badly when I got cursed at while mowing my lawn. Apparently because I have to use a bit of the road to mow my ditch some of the riders felt inconvenienced because their right to use the entire road was being disrupted by a slow moving vehicle. Ironic isn't it.

I think a little consideration shown to those of us that live along these routes and pay the extra tax levies to keep the roads in great condition and keep the neighborhoods so that they are scenic to ride through would go a long ways.
Just a thought were you blowing your clippings onto the road?
If you were doing this while the riders were near then they may have been fearful of flying debris.
If you had done this earlier then they may have been fearful of getting a flat (roadie tires are somewhat puncture prone).
If not then they may have just been your average a-hole

Unfortunately among serious road riders there are a fair number of those that act very entitled. Some of it comes from the fair number of drivers that either pay no respect to the riders and give them room or worse try to harass them. However many will also act very rude and curse and/or impede others. Those individuals do not help make the roads safer for other riders.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #51520
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Just a thought were you blowing your clippings onto the road?
If you were doing this while the riders were near then they may have been fearful of flying debris.
If you had done this earlier then they may have been fearful of getting a flat (roadie tires are somewhat puncture prone).
If not then they may have just been your average a-hole

Unfortunately among serious road riders there are a fair number of those that act very entitled. Some of it comes from the fair number of drivers that either pay no respect to the riders and give them room or worse try to harass them. However many will also act very rude and curse and/or impede others. Those individuals do not help make the roads safer for other riders.

Craig
+1 on the A-holes but I think that comes from them being harassed and being worried about their safety.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #51521
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post

Craig
Penner's road ain't exactly a major thoroughfare and much of the Pelatonia route follows lightly traveled roads. These riders get it in their heads that they're basically on a closed course and can't fathom why anyone not on a bicycle would need to be out there.
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #51522
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Had an insanely good time in WV over the weekend. I think I'm going to do a ride report, but here's a couple preview pictures for you:

Brilliant use of carnage to draw us in! Almost makes me wish there was video......

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #51523
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Penner's road ain't exactly a major thoroughfare and much of the Pelatonia route follows lightly traveled roads. These riders get it in their heads that they're basically on a closed course and can't fathom why anyone not on a bicycle would need to be out there.
I think that you are correct in this and 51 weeks out of the year my road is lightly traveled. Of course, part of the problem was the genius that scheduled the ride this year picked the one weekend when the Hartford Fair was being held (and has been for the last 150 years or so). Combining all of the traffic going to the Fair including the trucks and trailers hauling animals and equipment with a near constant gaggle of bicyclists with an attitude on a narrow country road is just asking for trouble.

If there had been an emergency situation with any of the riders or anybody that lives in my neighborhood it would have been a nightmare. I am sure that many of the riders would have been aware and courteous enough to move over for an emergency vehicle with sirens blaring. However, we are served by a volunteer fire department and many of volunteers live along the bicycle route (including my son and son-in-law who are both medics) and they have to get to the fire station in their private vehicles to man the fire equipment. Normally it takes less than 5 minutes for my son to get to the station and he can count on the cooperation and courtesy of the neighbors because they have heard the fire whistle and are aware of the situation. It would have taken much longer on Saturday and no cooperation or courtesy would have been shown by the bicyclists.

Hopefully people will wise up before a bicyclists dies because emergency crews can not respond to an emergency in a timely manner due to the gauntlet of entitled bicyclists.

The people that came through on Sunday seemed a lot less angry and actually appeared to be enjoying themselves. I am not sure how the ride is structured, but it seemed that they did not share the delusion of many of Satruday's riders who thought that they were Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France and that the road was closed to all but them.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000

mpenner screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 01:47 PM
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #51524
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Brilliant use of carnage to draw us in! Almost makes me wish there was video......
I've wanted a Go-Pro forever, and I can get one at a pretty good price right now, but the truth is, when I get back from an awesome ride I just don't have the desire to sit down and edit down tons of video to something worth sharing. I would have some ridiculous footage from this past weekend for sure, but it'd be in with hours of less than amazing footage, and I'd have to spend half a day creating a video worth watching.

I'd much rather be riding.

More carnage for you:

Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #51525
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

More carnage for you:

It looks like a great weekend. I really like this photo as you can almost see people's thoughts, which seem to be something like "I think it is a waste of time to pick this bike up again!"

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000