ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #51556
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I don't know, I mean after seeing a deer jump into Bradons lap a tree sort of pales by comparison. Maybe if you'd said some swear words of pulled out a gun and shot the tree.

Hey, we all know that one is way out of our league...and we can't compete with it nor would I want to. Although Sion probably could have if he had his camera running when he hit a deer.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #51557
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
you should just go back to posing beside your KTM in your spandex
been there - done that - have the photo to prove it

sure was nice of a friends wife to take a photo of me changing out of my riding gear in the woods and post it on ktmtalk. could have been worse - at least i got the knee pads off and started putting on shorts before she took the picture.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #51558
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
So, anyone else here ride a motorcycle?

Nah, those things are dangerous.

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #51559
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Are there any good messican restaurants in Dublin?
Our favorite is Chile Verde.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #51560
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 845
New topic!

I know you guys are dying for something new to chat about.....

so if you're bored and have an opinion or idea other than what I've got so far, thoughts appreciated. I leave Saturday am and have Thursday and Friday off to finish up so nothing elaborate.

The original plan was to load my 230 in the back of the truck and just go. Now I'm thinking I'm going to be bored out of my noggin' for like 5 weeks in the evenings and weekends. Now I'm thinking of taking my horse trailer and putting both the 230 and the 150R in there with my tools so I basically have a mobile garage. (it is lockable) I can attempt to do the DS conversion on the 150R on the evenings I don't ride and it will keep me from watching too much TV.

Problem solving time!

The trailer has a 16' box. (gooseneck in front, that's where I'll keep tools and crap)
Under the sawdust are rubber mats that I can pull up and expose the wood floor.
I'd prefer to be able to not have exposed screw eyes and things for horses to catch shoes on.

Ideas:
1) pull up mats, put in track and cover with mats when horses on are there
2) cut holes in mats and put in those ring latches that can lie flat (I have no idea what they are called, but I can get them at TSC or IP)
3) just get a piece of plywood and rig screw eyes on it (Reinforced lots o' places) and put the bike on the plywood

EDIT: I guess my biggest question - is there a true advantage to the track? Eventually I could haul like 6 bikes or so if I collapse the front wall. I'm a big fan of doing it right the first time. But if the bikes always end up in the same spots, wouldn't rings be easier?

the trailer box for reference

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 05:59 AM
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #51561
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post

I love it when a plan comes together.

See? Who pulled this fuckwad's string?

He just shows up to drop off his tired sarcasm.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #51562
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,172
I don't even have a string

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #51563
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,065
Thoughts on out west.
1. They might take a longer look at bikes other than the 230 than they do in Ohio. So an actual "from the factory" street legal bike might be the only bike you really need.
2. Pull up floor mats and go to Harbor freight to get flush mount rings to put down along the walls. Also think about using bolts as screws will back out over time where a bolt with lock washers might last longer and be removable.
3. You get bored in a tornado. Try to relax and just enjoy the experience.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #51564
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
See? Who pulled this fuckwad's string?

He just shows up to drop off his tired sarcasm.
Ahhh, the internet. A place where people who'd probably be best friends in person can meet and become life long enemies. We all know Rider is to blame, Goonie was a more social person when he was here to smack people around.
2006 KLR650
Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #51565
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post

so if you're bored and have an opinion or idea other than what I've got so far, thoughts appreciated. I leave Saturday am and have Thursday and Friday off to finish up so nothing elaborate.

The original plan was to load my 230 in the back of the truck and just go. Now I'm thinking I'm going to be bored out of my noggin' for like 5 weeks in the evenings and weekends. Now I'm thinking of taking my horse trailer and putting both the 230 and the 150R in there with my tools so I basically have a mobile garage. (it is lockable) I can attempt to do the DS conversion on the 150R on the evenings I don't ride and it will keep me from watching too much TV.

Problem solving time!

The trailer has a 16' box. (gooseneck in front, that's where I'll keep tools and crap)
I'd prefer to be able to not have exposed screw eyes and things for horses to catch shoes on.

Ideas:
2) cut holes in mats and put in those ring latches that can lie flat (I have no idea what they are called, but I can get them at TSC or IP)
3) just get a piece of plywood and rig screw eyes on it (Reinforced lots o' places) and put the bike on the plywood

EDIT: I guess my biggest question - is there a true advantage to the track? Eventually I could haul like 6 bikes or so if I collapse the front wall. I'm a big fan of doing it right the first time. But if the bikes always end up in the same spots, wouldn't rings be easier?

The e-track is slick. 10' section of it is about $35 at trailer places or you can find 2' sections at Harbor Freight. The mats would seem like a pain in the butt to pull over the etrack when the horses are in there. You could effectively recess it by adding 1/2 plywood around the etack. I think this would be the best long term solution but also a little $$$.

Your bikes are light, you could just tie them both to one 4x8 sheet of plywood that is laying back there loose. This would be the simple & cheap method.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #51566
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

Your bikes are light, you could just tie them both to one 4x8 sheet of plywood that is laying back there loose. This would be the simple & cheap method.
That's actually the plan leading in my head at the moment. Sounds quick and painless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Thoughts on out west.
1. They might take a longer look at bikes other than the 230 than they do in Ohio. So an actual "from the factory" street legal bike might be the only bike you really need.
Luke, while I appreciate your thoughts on selling and/or not converting the 150R, that bitch has become my nemesis and I will master that thing before I ever consider selling it. It's personal at this point. I think TX is actually a good place for that thing, more wide open, go-like-hell kind of terrain. I will do an organized DS and it will be on that bike. That thing is far more bike than the 230 pretends to be. And it's easier for me to crawl out from under the 150R when I wreck.

I will get the title work all done in Ohio so I'll just have to be sure I'm in line with TX law once I get there. On the list for today or tomorrow so at least I won't have a weird out of state title mess.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #51567
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

KCMG, not trying to say sell it. There are areas out there where that bike will be great. I was thinking more from a "they can be pricks out there" aspect of having less than fully legal bikes. Might be worth storing it till you do your initial recon of the area if you get my drift. But maybe I'm just paranoid?
2006 KLR650
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #51568
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
Congratulations! I am glad that you had a good ride.

I got reminded that I am #1 by many of the riders for having the bad manners to attempt to drive down the road that I live on. The weekend sure sucks for those of us that live in the neighborhood. I think next year if I get flipped off again for trying to pass a group of riders riding 4 abreast that I will decide that it is a good day to haul a 10 foot wide loaded manure spreader down the middle of the road at 8 mph.

Crap, I don't log on for a day and miss the bicycle bitch and moan session! Sorry for you guys on the route. The old route use to be on roads around me but got a little reprieve this year since they changed it and not so many around this entire summer. However, my office sponsors a Pelotonia team and my wife did the 100 miles this year so I still am on overload. Also, where did the cowbell thing come from? After hanging around the finish line for three hours my ears are still ringing. Then my wife has the audacity to ask me to ride with her next year, don’t think so.

p.s. Congratulations to the riders, especially the ones who aren’t real bikers and doing it for the cause and not just an excuse to ride.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #51569
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
[FONT=Helvetica]Also, where did the cowbell thing come from? After hanging around the finish line for three hours my ears are still ringing.
Did someone say "More Cow Bell!"

2006 KLR650
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #51570
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post

Problem solving time!

Ideas:

How wide is the trailer inside? How stout are the walls near the floor? Can it handle a spreader bar arrangement? I'm imagining something like this that sits on the floor and spreads against the walls to hold it in place. The two bikes could be side by side. running tie downs from the bar back to the footpegs keeps the rear end from walking around. Alternatively, the piece could be bolted through the floor.

there was also this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19166774&postcount=2064

I like having the channel under the tire as the bike weight holds it down that way. Maybe the two concepts could be combined....

I'll offer up scrap steel and fab time, if it helps. You'd have to come pick it up (44039 or 44280 zipcode) and throw some paint on it at some point.

How soon are you leaving?