ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #51571
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,755
KCMG, not trying to say sell it. There are areas out there where that bike will be great. I was thinking more from a "they can be pricks out there" aspect of having less than fully legal bikes. Might be worth storing it till you do your initial recon of the area if you get my drift. But maybe I'm just paranoid?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #51572
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
Congratulations! I am glad that you had a good ride.

I got reminded that I am #1 by many of the riders for having the bad manners to attempt to drive down the road that I live on. The weekend sure sucks for those of us that live in the neighborhood. I think next year if I get flipped off again for trying to pass a group of riders riding 4 abreast that I will decide that it is a good day to haul a 10 foot wide loaded manure spreader down the middle of the road at 8 mph.

Crap, I don't log on for a day and miss the bicycle bitch and moan session! Sorry for you guys on the route. The old route use to be on roads around me but got a little reprieve this year since they changed it and not so many around this entire summer. However, my office sponsors a Pelotonia team and my wife did the 100 miles this year so I still am on overload. Also, where did the cowbell thing come from? After hanging around the finish line for three hours my ears are still ringing. Then my wife has the audacity to ask me to ride with her next year, don’t think so.

p.s. Congratulations to the riders, especially the ones who aren’t real bikers and doing it for the cause and not just an excuse to ride.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #51573
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
[FONT=Helvetica]Also, where did the cowbell thing come from? After hanging around the finish line for three hours my ears are still ringing.
Did someone say "More Cow Bell!"

Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #51574
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I know you guys are dying for something new to chat about.....

so if you're bored and have an opinion or idea other than what I've got so far, thoughts appreciated. I leave Saturday am and have Thursday and Friday off to finish up so nothing elaborate.

The original plan was to load my 230 in the back of the truck and just go. Now I'm thinking I'm going to be bored out of my noggin' for like 5 weeks in the evenings and weekends. Now I'm thinking of taking my horse trailer and putting both the 230 and the 150R in there with my tools so I basically have a mobile garage. (it is lockable) I can attempt to do the DS conversion on the 150R on the evenings I don't ride and it will keep me from watching too much TV.

Problem solving time!

The trailer has a 16' box. (gooseneck in front, that's where I'll keep tools and crap)
Under the sawdust are rubber mats that I can pull up and expose the wood floor.
I'd prefer to be able to not have exposed screw eyes and things for horses to catch shoes on.

Ideas:
1) pull up mats, put in track and cover with mats when horses on are there
2) cut holes in mats and put in those ring latches that can lie flat (I have no idea what they are called, but I can get them at TSC or IP)
3) just get a piece of plywood and rig screw eyes on it (Reinforced lots o' places) and put the bike on the plywood

EDIT: I guess my biggest question - is there a true advantage to the track? Eventually I could haul like 6 bikes or so if I collapse the front wall. I'm a big fan of doing it right the first time. But if the bikes always end up in the same spots, wouldn't rings be easier?

the trailer box for reference
How wide is the trailer inside? How stout are the walls near the floor? Can it handle a spreader bar arrangement? I'm imagining something like this that sits on the floor and spreads against the walls to hold it in place. The two bikes could be side by side. running tie downs from the bar back to the footpegs keeps the rear end from walking around. Alternatively, the piece could be bolted through the floor.

there was also this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19166774&postcount=2064

I like having the channel under the tire as the bike weight holds it down that way. Maybe the two concepts could be combined....

I'll offer up scrap steel and fab time, if it helps. You'd have to come pick it up (44039 or 44280 zipcode) and throw some paint on it at some point.

How soon are you leaving?
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #51575
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 795
Trailer is 7' wide.

Leaving bright and early Saturday am. Probably not enough time - might be plywood for now. I love this concept though, simple.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #51576
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,281
Just rip a 4x8 1/2 down to 6.5 wide. (it will be easy to slide in with 3" clearance on each side.) wouldn't really hurt to make it 6 wide. Lowes or HD will rip it for you.

I'd get treated, a little more $, but if it sits outside in the rain from time to time it will last longer.

It will be OK if the rear of the bikes are not on the plywood, it is all about the width.

You can get by with three or four eyebolts, but I would use the flush mount rings. You can find them most places and you will not trip over them the way you will the eyebolts.

The bicycle guys were on my road on Sunday only. I guess I got the casual bunch. I do have a problem with them and the way they act, but if I get started here it will turn into a huge rant.

I guess the ADV dinner for tonight is Shades in Canal Winchester.

I think the cowbell thing originated with the Suisse or Austrians for downhill skiing. It is easier for the "clangger" & less distracting to the racer than yelling & you can do it with gloves on....clapping does not work.

Cowbells, I do not think were part of bicycle racing until downhill mountainbikes became popular and they were adopted by the "new downhill" crowd.

It did not take long for that to transfer over to regular bicycle racing.

Of course that is a guess that I just pulled out of my butt.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #51577
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 795
Bump for dinner tonight....

Shade on the Canal, Canal Winchester.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=491

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #51578
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Then Euro Bike Night! I'll be there about 8pm.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #51579
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,987
Invisible Monster and I just set a record for changing 1 tire already off the bike with a tire changer. Roughly 1 hour.

P.S.
Squat, You're awesome

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #51580
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 1,939
After 30 long hours, Wyatt Bruce came into the world today.....7lb 6oz..

Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #51581
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Congrats! I know someone trying to sell a Kawasaki 50... you know... if he's ready...
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #51582
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

Congrats!

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #51583
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

You got Bruced

Congrats man
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #51584
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Nah, those things are dangerous.
You're such a ninny. What kind of oil should I use again?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #51585
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 1,792
Congrats on the kid.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote