ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #51691
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Great read, I ride a lot of gravel & am wanting to trail ride some (new to it). Sounds like the WRR is a better dirt bike, the Honda is a little softer. I'm 6'2", so it sounds like the Honda may be too small.

ruppster screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 10:19 AM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #51692
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Notice that he wrote that without having ridden the Honda.
"I rode both bikes now. I have 125 miles on the WR and 39 miles on the Honda. I took both bikes out back to back over the same little trial coarse I have at the house. This consist of a field with 3" chunks of hard clay. It is one of the roughest things I have ridden. It also includes a large creek crossing, double track, black top, and gravel. The landscape is rolling hills."
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #51693
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
The Honda's winning attributes are cheap and short.

Other than that, if there's an advantage to the 250L over the WR, I can't see it. I don't think anyone can claim the Honda's going to be a more durable bike than the WR. The Honda will likely be a very well built, long lasting bike but the WR's engine is about as overbuilt as I think you'll ever see on a small DS.

And, you have to also consider the KLX250S in that mix, as it's in the same price range as the 250L and very similar in performance and height (carb instead of FI being the only real substantive difference). Street price it can be had cheaper than the Honda, I'm sure.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #51694
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,164
I am seriously considering the 250L for Krista.We are between it and the XT 250, it's going to be decided by which one she feels more comfortable sitting on.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #51695
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
And, you have to also consider the KLX250S in that mix, ...
A co worker had one I rode, I hope the other 2 250s are not as gutless, 60mph seemed stressful for it. Alan told me 65 was fine on his WRR & I'd guess he is near my weight (or maybe a little more).
Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #51696
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,164
I can run at 65 all day long on my 22HP KLR 250, it sounds wrapped up, but it doesn't care.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #51697
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
"I rode both bikes now. I have 125 miles on the WR and 39 miles on the Honda. I took both bikes out back to back over the same little trial coarse I have at the house. This consist of a field with 3" chunks of hard clay. It is one of the roughest things I have ridden. It also includes a large creek crossing, double track, black top, and gravel. The landscape is rolling hills."
The quote you originally copied was written before he rode the Honda. 'Les he editted the post. . I wonder how nuch his opinion changed. Maybe I should read it all before shootin' from the hip.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #51698
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
The quote you originally copied was written before he rode the Honda. 'Les he editted the post. . I wonder how nuch his opinion changed. Maybe I should read it all before shootin' from the hip.
Yep. I should have read the whole thing. Going' back into my hole.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #51699
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,496
I must be missing something too, as I just don't really see the appeal of the 250cc class. In terms of motox bikes its 15 pounds more for the 450 (243-250 lbs) over the 250cc bikes. And another 25 pounds for an e start wide ratio model for trails bikes. Seems fairly negligible to me when its on 2 wheels.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #51700
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
A co worker had one I rode, I hope the other 2 250s are not as gutless, 60mph seemed stressful for it. Alan told me 65 was fine on his WRR & I'd guess he is near my weight (or maybe a little more).
The 250S makes its power down low, torque curve more like a trail bike. And, it's bottled up pretty good from the factory. Open it up, or even better big-bore it, and gear it for the street and it'll do ok. It's a good bike on the trails.

My TTR250 was the same way, great power in the woods in 2nd gear, nearly done at 55 on the streets.

Everything's a compromise, or it's expensive and fickle.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #51701
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
I must be missing something too, as I just don't really see the appeal of the 250cc class.
Easy answer: There isn't a 450 class of Japanese dual sports here in the states, except the outdated and somewhat lackluster DRZ400s, and the only streetlegal 450's beyond that are Eurobikes...and the high price of admission of those.

But, the 250's still make sense in some ways...for a back road cruiser and trail machine, that's inexpensive and cheap to operate, they're great. The premise behind a 450 over a 250 is you get all that extra power in the same chassis - but that's based on a need for more power. Does everyone need it? In the tight woods around here, you can't put a 450's top end on the ground very well. Hell, a pinger 125 is as fast in the Ohio woods as anything else in the right hands.

I'd love to see Yamaha do a WR450R, or an updated XR400 class bike (with a magic button), but I don't think Japan is interested in it.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #51702
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
I must be missing something too, as I just don't really see the appeal of the 250cc class. In terms of motox bikes its 15 pounds more for the 450 (243-250 lbs) over the 250cc bikes. And another 25 pounds for an e start wide ratio model for trails bikes. Seems fairly negligible to me when its on 2 wheels.
I 100% agree, but since no one seems to show interest in making a real streetable 450cc dual sport, I see 250's as the best available option.

A WR450R or KLX400S, with all the pluses of the newer 250's, yet 50% more power, would be quite popular I think.

Sadly, they don't exist (in the USA).

Edit: Bruced!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #51703
Alien
Waitng for ride home.

Oddometer: 165
Devil bike must go.

Don't know if any of you effing eff's are interested or know somebody that might be. Now I'm used to being in the misdemeanor ticket zone when I ride, but I'm not overly blatant about it and besides cops hardly look a GS's anyway. This bike makes the devil on one shoulder just laugh like a maniac and the angel on the other shoulder piss its robe, so with great reluctance I must sell it.
S1000RR -Excellent condition. Acid green. 3800 miles. Adjustable rear sets, smoke windscreen, under seat tail license mount kit, new rear tire and heilbars. 10,000$$
A different sort of Adventure bike. I'm trying to avoid the adventure of going to jail. Thought I was old enough to ride it it in a more mellow manner. Maybe in another 10years.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #51704
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
Don't know if any of you effing eff's are interested or know somebody that might be. Now I'm used to being in the misdemeanor ticket zone when I ride, but I'm not overly blatant about it and besides cops hardly look a GS's anyway. This bike makes the devil on one shoulder just laugh like a maniac and the angel on the other shoulder piss its robe, so with great reluctance I must sell it.
S1000RR -Excellent condition. Acid green. 3800 miles. Adjustable rear sets, smoke windscreen, under seat tail license mount kit, new rear tire and heilbars. 10,000$$
A different sort of Adventure bike. I'm trying to avoid the adventure of going to jail. Thought I was old enough to ride it it in a more mellow manner. Maybe in another 10years.

I wanna ride it once before you sell it...

meanwhile, whatever happened to the "lets go to gary's house and ride dirt bikes" we talked about at Kingy's Pizza?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #51705
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Easy answer: There isn't a 450 class of Japanese dual sports here in the states, except the outdated and somewhat lackluster DRZ400s, and the only streetlegal 450's beyond that are Eurobikes...and the high price of admission of those...
I'd love to see Yamaha do a WR450R, or an updated XR400 class bike (with a magic button), but I don't think Japan is interested in it.
Had that discussion at the Honda dealership. There are no 350-500cc bikes in the Japanese lineups. Honda stole the 250CBR engine for the new dualsport, if they had a 350-500cc road bike it could make sense. The local dealership was disappointed that the new bike is a 250.
Fellow down the street is turning wrenches for the Honda dealership now, he actually assembled the 250L 2 days ago. He also does a little dirt racing on Kaws, he very recently bought a Honda 450 with employee discount & said he hated to admit that he really liked the bike. I'll probably try to talk him into a ride around the neighborhood.