ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #51796
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
Sorry I didn't hook up Sunday Bruno, we had plans so I rode straight through then the plans got axed and I went to Indian River. I fixed my original post, said you never rode, should have read, you "never rode it" in reference to your 690. Was that you that yelled on the downhill jeep road? The sand messed with me for the first couple sections, New to endless sand, I was bouncing off everything and thought I was going to die out there. Then once I learned to plane it, all was good, only dropped it once, stalled a bunch. The GPS tracks wouldn't upload so i was running off the chart.

I screwed up at the camp cut off Saturday, ended up doing both loops, the A 1.5 times but I didn't mind, those sections in that area were fun.

Sunday I missed one turn that confounded me. Seems like I took the wrong fork before it so nothing matched. I followed the bold line, not the arrow. Took me about 15 minutes of circling and staring for the light to come on. Only rode the 640 both days, no adventure loops.

As for the route, the mileage was always pretty much spot on. The extra miles on Sunday were from riding the mccc trail and working my way up to Indian River and back for lunch.

I had a blast, I'm going back.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park

mgorman screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 03:09 PM
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #51797
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by half_price_beemer View Post
Kawasaki has a Versys 1000 now, anyone know when it's coming to the U.S.
Who knows...

I think the Versys 650 is a great deal at the price it sells at and an even better deal used. The Versys 1000 though is selling at over 14K. At that price point you can get some pretty nice alternatives. Plus it needs to have a shaft drive, IMO. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #51798
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Sorry I didn't hook up Sunday Bruno, we had plans so I rode straight through then the plans got axed and I went to Indian River. I fixed my original post, said you never rode, should have read, you "never rode it" in reference to your 690. Was that you that yelled on the downhill jeep road? The sand messed with me for the first couple sections, New to endless sand, I was bouncing off everything and thought I was going to die out there. Then once I learned to plane it, all was good, only dropped it once, stalled a bunch. The GPS tracks wouldn't upload so i was running off the chart.

I screwed up at the camp cut off Saturday, ended up doing both loops, the A 1.5 times but I didn't mind, those sections in that area were fun.

Sunday I missed one turn that confounded me. Seems like I took the wrong fork before it so nothing matched. I followed the bold line, not the arrow. Took me about 15 minutes of circling and staring for the light to come on. Only rode the 640 both days, no adventure loops.

As for the route, the mileage was always pretty much spot on. The extra miles on Sunday were from riding the mccc trail and working my way up to Indian River and back for lunch.

Did you ride up there? I was thinking about going but couldn't get anyone to respond about the ride. Probably should have posted in the Michigan thread though. ;)

It's 7 hours from my house... :( People keep telling me I need to go ride up there... ;) I don't particularly like sand but it is softer landing when I crash...lol
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #51799
dyrtybyrd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Who knows...

I think the Versys 650 is a great deal at the price it sells at and an even better deal used. The Versys 1000 though is selling at over 14K. At that price point you can get some pretty nice alternatives. Plus it needs to have a shaft drive, IMO. ;)
I recently bought a leftover 2011 Versys 650 for less than half that price. It's a great bike, especially at the price point. The only reason you "need" a more powerful street bike, is if you ride 2 up a lot. Then, I think you'd want more hp.

I'm sure the V 1000 will be a good bike, but they won't sell very many at 14k. They'll languish in dealer showrooms, much like the Suzuki B-King of a few years ago, and eventually sell at a greatly reduced price.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #51800
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGeek99 View Post
Dunno if you guys heard or not, but JimBo passed away last Friday.

This is from Facebook:
I want to thank all my friends and family for your love and support durning this very difficult time. For those of you who have not heard. JimBo passed away Friday around six o'clock. He was sittting on the patio at JimBo's having a beer with friends. His heart stopped and he died instantly. He will be so missed..

I happened to stop at JimBo's while out riding today, with intention of getting my camping pass for the Rally...talked to Joy (Jimbo's wife) who told me what happened. The plan is for the Rally to go on as scheduled, but with a memorial for JimBo after the rodeo on sunday, at which they will scatter his ashes as per his wishes.

It is kind of a pirate-fest, but I've enjoyed the JimBo's weekend for the last 4 years and will be going again this year, probably for my last time. Joy and JimBo are good people who put on a helluva good party. JimBo will be missed.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #51801
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Did you ride up there?
It's 7 hours from my house... :( People keep telling me I need to go ride up there... ;) I don't particularly like sand but it is softer landing when I crash...lol

No, I drove, it's about 7 for me also. I posted I was going right after Bruno posted.

I didn't sample the sand but I can tell you, their trees hurt like hell.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #51802
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I happened to stop at JimBo's while out riding today, with intention of getting my camping pass for the Rally...talked to Joy (Jimbo's wife) who told me what happened. The plan is for the Rally to go on as scheduled, but with a memorial for JimBo after the rodeo on sunday, at which they will scatter his ashes as per his wishes.

It is kind of a pirate-fest, but I've enjoyed the JimBo's weekend for the last 4 years and will be going again this year, probably for my last time. Joy and JimBo are good people who put on a helluva good party. JimBo will be missed.
No disrespect but who was jimbo?

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #51803
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
No disrespect but who was jimbo?
he and his wife run this place:

http://innline.com/hockingweb/hockin...pertyId=IL4302

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #51804
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Sweet.

Next time you'll have to take the 690 Rallye for a roost, see how you like it
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #51805
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
The U.P. is even more betterer
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #51806
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
No, I drove, it's about 7 for me also. I posted I was going right after Bruno posted.

I didn't sample the sand but I can tell you, their trees hurt like hell.
Ok, I remember you guys posting about it but I didn't realize it was the same event until the Friday before. :(
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #51807
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I've ridden by there a million times but never stopped. It's definitely a pirates hangout. ;)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #51808
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
The U.P. is even more betterer
If only there was a group of us going, that'd be schweet.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #51809
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
If only there was a group of us going, that'd be schweet.
If only!
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #51810
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
If only!

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote