ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #51841
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Fly, Ohio

It's off Dana's Rd/ Bear Run Rd (CR25). If coming from Newport, it's past CR9 to the bottom of the hill and take a left through the creek & up the hill (TR382). Up is better than down,

Thx - I'll look around. That makes for a good round trip down there and back - but that's what I'm here for.

Last week week I went down through Rio Grande on south to the river, just north of Huntington, WV. Maybe it just seems remote down there but I don't think they get this week's newspapers.

I'll keep an eye out for that local 'hottie' with the ankle braclet - funny jewelry they wear sometimes. . . (all the time!)
Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #51842
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,301
Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Just changed my rear tire, chain, both sprockets, and front brake pads on the V-Strom.

Did some other little stuff: degreased the hell out of the front sprocket area, cover, swingarm and such from 5 years worth of chain lube collecting there; replaced some missing rubber bumpers, checked all visible bolts, shit like that.

First ride after doing that, at speeds from 0 - about 40, the bike feels a little wobbly. It feels kind of like riding on a paved street that has been used by a lot of heavy trucks, you get those light ruts in the pavement that make the bike track in them and feel like it is a little twitchy is the best way to describe it. It's not as obvious feeling as a flat tire or bad wheel bearing. At speeds above 40 or so the bike is smooth and stable.

I checked the following:

-Front suspension, settings the same, travels smoothly, no binding or leaking
-Front wheel bearings, wheel spins easily, no side to side play, no grinding, all spacers appear to be accounted for
-Front brakes, checked all bolts
-Front tire pressure
-Fork "Superbrace", tight, hasn't moved from it's originally installed position
-Axle and pinch bolts tight to specs
-Rear suspension, setting hasn't been changed from what it was, no binding or leaking
-Rear wheel bearings, wheel spins easily, no side to side play, no grinding, all spacers appear to be accounted for
-Rear tire pressure
-Chain tension, front and rear sprocket bolts
-Stering head bearings, the steering head nut is secure and with the front wheel elevated the bars turn smoothly all the way through their travel

The only other thing I thought it could be would be tire balance. I never balance my tires and just have the guy who mounts them line up the balancing dot and call it even. I've never had an issue in the past and honestly I don't know what an "out of balance tire" feels like on the road. Whle checking all the other stuff above I scraped off about 5 wheel weights on each wheel which have been there since the bike was new, but that didn't change anything with how it felt on a follow up ride.

Any thoughts? It's just obvious enough to make me think it's a problem but I'm not sure where to look next.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #51843
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,954
Rear wheel alignment maybe? Cush rubber missing? You seem to have covered most of the bases. Im just taking stabs at it
Does the rear tire look out of round? If you spin the tire can you see much runout?
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #51844
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
Wheel spacers in correctly? Rear wheel alignment OK? You didn't change that much. Jackup the front. Make sure there's no drag or mis-alignment.
Check the rear. No drag? Chain lines up good? Tire OK?
Gotta be something simple.
Make sure tire is seated evenly on the rim.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #51845
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Yeah, I'd be inclined since you had wheels and sprocket off to think a spacer is missing or in backwards and allowing travel that's abnormal.

Look down your chain up to the countersprocket - is it straight and the chain alignment correct? Not sure on the Wee but if you get a spacer wrong on the Vee it screws up this alignment something fierce makes it obvious.

On your steering stem bearings, they can still swing side to side sometimes rather smoothly but be out along their vertical axis. To check them for this, with the bike on the center stand pick up the front wheel and pull it out away from the bike. If there's play there, they're fooked. Doubtful this is it tho.

An really out of balance tire is a bumpy wobble that gets worse as you speed...never feels squishy or affects the overall feel of the bike in my experience....more like you're going over a bumpy, rhythmic road.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #51846
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
I experienced the same issue and it went away as quickly as it started, so I'm clueless. I wrote it up to wind.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #51847
r-3350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I would second what bikerider mark said. Check to see that the bead has come out on the rim all the way. Most tires have a line on the outside of the tire that should be equal distance from the outside part of the rim if the tire is seated correctly. Carl
r-3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #51848
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,162
Sounds like balance or alignment. New tire tread? Bead? Did you remove a rim lock?

Take a tape measure once and measure to the rear axle from a set point on the frame
Swing arm bolt center usually works. If its a bead you can usually spray some lube on it like Windex or soapy water, over inflate and roll it while hitting it. They normally correct that way. Im still wagering balance or more aggressive tread.

Danjal screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 07:16 PM
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #51849
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,954
Did you check your muffler bearings?
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #51850
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Did you check your muffler bearings?

a bad canooter valve often feels like worn muffler bearings...if you dont measure with a hemowhatsis you'll never be able tell the difference

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #51851
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Where's indypup?
Well if you haven't figured it out by now...my dog is indypup and she was on the back of the KLR again tonight. Of course I was riding in some undisclosed location...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #51852
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-3350 View Post
I would second what bikerider mark said. Check to see that the bead has come out on the rim all the way. Most tires have a line on the outside of the tire that should be equal distance from the outside part of the rim if the tire is seated correctly. Carl
That'd be my guess also. I've experienced this, it doesn't take much to throw it off and give exactly the feel your describing.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #51853
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

A'ight, thanks all. I will take good look at the tire bead when I get home, I can certainly inflate the hell out of it and pop it in if that's all it is. Didn't really even consider that.

It's not "more agressive tread" as these are the same brand / model of tires I always run, I'm used to them. But thanks.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #51854
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
A'ight, thanks all. I will take good look at the tire bead when I get home, I can certainly inflate the hell out of it and pop it in if that's all it is. Didn't really even consider that.

It's not "more agressive tread" as these are the same brand / model of tires I always run, I'm used to them. But thanks.
Np, just curious, why didn't you have them balanced?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #51855
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Np, just curious, why didn't you have them balanced?
I never do. I ride a lot, but I guess I'm not a connosieur. I don't know how much different a big ol' trailee would feel on quasi knobs if the tire is or is not balanced.

I don't really want to be a nuisance to my mechanic, either, I like him and he does the work for very little money, so I hate to take up more of his time by having him balance the tires.

My Smugmug Galleries