ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #51856
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Np, just curious, why didn't you have them balanced?
Balancing the tires on an adventure bike is pretty much pointless. Most tires go out of balance within 500 miles or hitting the first pothole.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #51857
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,539
An adv bike yes,even knobbies too. That i understand. He said strom, so im picturing 80/20 tires at best. All valid points, I was just wondering why is all. Once I hit about a 60/40 I wont bother with balance unless its pretty noticeable.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #51858
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
An adv bike yes,even knobbies too. That i understand. He said strom, so im picturing 80/20 tires at best. All valid points, I was just wondering why is all. Once I hit about a 60/40 I wont bother with balance unless its pretty noticeable.
Shinko 705 which I guess is a 80/20 tire.

Checked the chain, rear wheel alignment. Straight / true. Checked the steering bearings in the Swingset manner, no looseness.

I examined the tire, it appears to be seated on the bead.

To be on the safe side, I rode to the gas station with a ball bat, tire gauge, and bottle of windex. "Drained" all the air from the back tire, waled on it with the ball bat, lubed the area of the bead, waled some more, hyperinflated the tire to 70+ PSI without seeing or hearing the bead popping, waled some more, dropped pressure to 41 PSI Rode home. Same as it was.

I noticed the only difference between my bike and Meredith's is the rubber dust cover over the wheel bearings on the disk side of the rear wheel on mine is slightly dimpled, like the rubber is a little crushed; and on hers it is nice and flat. That's it; all other spacers are exactly the same between the two bikes.

I'm not terribly worried, just curious. I'm gonna keep riding, I guess one of three things will happen - it will get better, it will get worse, or it will stay the same. Even if it gets worse I can't see a catastrophic failure since everything checks okay.

Thanks for the advice.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #51859
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
[QUOTEBalancing the tires on an adventure bike is pretty much pointless. Most tires go out of balance within 500 miles or hitting the first pothole. __________________][/QUOTE]

I'm not arguing or disagreeing, because I don't even understand this stuff at a distance, but I am curious; why should this be true? How does hitting a pothole "unbalance" a tire?

You balance a tire/wheel because all sections or segments of the tire/wheel don't weigh the same. You add weight to one section to attempt to "balance" these inequalities. I understand that tires wear unevenly and this weight distribution changes over time, but don't understand how hitting a pothole would change a tire/wheel weight distribution.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #51860
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Any thoughts? It's just obvious enough to make me think it's a problem but I'm not sure where to look next.
Did you check the swing arm bearings for excessive play?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #51861
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
[QUOTEBalancing the tires on an adventure bike is pretty much pointless. Most tires go out of balance within 500 miles or hitting the first pothole. __________________]
I'm not arguing or disagreeing, because I don't even understand this stuff at a distance, but I am curious; why should this be true? How does hitting a pothole "unbalance" a tire?

You balance a tire/wheel because all sections or segments of the tire/wheel don't weigh the same. You add weight to one section to attempt to "balance" these inequalities. I understand that tires wear unevenly and this weight distribution changes over time, but don't understand how hitting a pothole would change a tire/wheel weight distribution.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a tire engineer, but I can tell you that even on a car tire, it can be balanced to zero, driven into a curb, or driven a couple hundred miles, and be way out again. I have seen it time and time again.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #51862
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I don't really want to be a nuisance to my mechanic, either, I like him and he does the work for very little money, so I hate to take up more of his time by having him balance the tires.
Out of curiosity, how much is he charging to mount tires? (bringing him the wheel off the bike) I have two guys in this area who have done my BMW tire swaps for me: $20 & $25 with balancing. I'm assuming the strom is tubeless.

Does the bike have a center stand? If so, I'd put on the stand and put it in gear with the engine running (after making sure the rear wheel is off the ground) Then look for runout or a bulge in the tread or sidewall.

rxcrider screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 07:27 AM
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #51863
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,102
You know I'm wondering if the front rim might be bent. I bent mine before screwing around. Strom rims aren't exactly made for what the bike can do.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #51864
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,704
I'm guessing the spacer from between the cush drive and the wheel was left out.

Or it's a bad tire.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #51865
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Balancing the tires on an adventure bike is pretty much pointless.

Interesting! I stopped balancing street bike tires years ago, but I did balance my new adv tires. I figure, with that much rubber (semi-knobby, 50/50 tire) the chance of it being noticeably out of balance were greater.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #51866
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post

I'm missing Colorado right now...
That is the worst chip seal job I have ever seen.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #51867
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Out of curiosity, how much is he charging to mount tires? (bringing him the wheel off the bike) I have two guys in this area who have done my BMW tire swaps for me: $20 & $25 with balancing. I'm assuming the strom is tubeless.

Does the bike have a center stand? If so, I'd put on the stand and put it in gear with the engine running (after making sure the rear wheel is off the ground) Then look for runout or a bulge in the tread or sidewall.
He mounts them free if I get them from him and he will do that with them still on the bike, I've been using him for 10 years almost so I get the better customer rate. I guess not balancing them is not so much a cost issue as it is I don't think it's really needed and I don't want him to do work I won't appreciate anyway.

No bulges, or other deformities noted to tire.

Swingarm bearings, I guess, are okay. There is no obvious play in the swingarm except the up and down travel it should have.

Front rim appears true, and the worst riding I've done in a few months is hop some curbs.

Zach - Possibly a bad tire, I got a PM from penner saying the same thing about his experience with a new 705. I guess we'll see.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #51868
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
That is the worst chip seal job I have ever seen.

That was on the poughkeepsie trail in Colorado. It's marked as a down only trail but we were going up it to try to save time because it was getting late. Big mistake, it took us about two hours to get up that gulch. This trail is probably the most technically challenging trail in the Ouray area.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #51869
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
After installing my own tires, I'm too lazy to balance them. Never really notice a problem with it.

The only thing balanced about my tires is the huge stack of them that is about to fall over in my garage. The Leaning Tower of Tourances. Guess I should stop procrastinating about taking them to be recycled.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #51870
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
After installing my own tires, I'm too lazy to balance them. Never really notice a problem with it.

The only thing balanced about my tires is the huge stack of them that is about to fall over in my garage. The Leaning Tower of Tourances. Guess I should stop procrastinating about taking them to be recycled.
I have probably 20~30 tires that I need to take down to the river too. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote